General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question (PLEASE HELP) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-06 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Bike question (PLEASE HELP)
I was taking my front tire off of my bike so I could bring it with me and when i was putting it back on it kept wanting to lean on the brake, I also have a thing on the tire to tell the speed ect... and now that hits way to hard and falls off?? What do I do??? I need some help I want to go biking but I don't want to hurt my bike?? Please help

2004-06-06 5:13 PM
in reply to: #29515

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike question (PLEASE HELP)
I take it that you mean that you removed the front "wheel" and not just the tire. When replacing a wheel, be it the back wheel or the front wheel, you must you position the tire portion directly in the center between the pads of the brake to ensure that your wheel is straight. First, tighten the outside axle nuts until you are at position to ensure a secure lock with the quick release. Then, you position the wheel at the proper location and tighten the quick release.

As for the "thing on the tire", I presume you mean the magnet attached to the spokes which rotates past the speedometer sensor. You merely have to ensure that the wheel is put on straight. If the magnet still hits the sensor, reposition the sensor backwards a "smidge" until they no longer make contact.
2004-06-07 8:28 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
I have had similar problems, especially with my mountain bike. I have to take the front wheel off my bike to transport it on my rooftop carrier. As machi suggested you just have to learn how to put the front wheel on correctly. My increased difficulty with my mountain bike is because it has a different style of brake style that is more touchy. Once half way through a race I disconnected my front brake while riding. I don't suggest this because it can be dangerous (about 60% of braking is supposed to come from your front brakes) and against USAT regulations.

Just practice putting it on and taking it off a few times in your living room or driveway. If you have to do this while the bike is upside down until you get the hang of it and understand how it all works.
2004-06-07 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Center the wheel in the forks, not just the brakes pads as brakes tend to move quite easily if bumped during transport, putting the wheel back on etc. If the brakes to move just push them back into place

.::aidan::.
2004-06-10 5:31 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Look to see if there's a little lever on your brake that allows the pads to be quickly opened for removal and replacement of the wheel. I have Shimano brakes and they have this handy little lever. One little twist of the lever and the gap between the pads opens about 1/2 inch making removal and replacement much easier. Does the magnet on your front wheel allow for repositioning? It sounds like it was disturbed by your maintenance and just needs to be put back into its proper spot. Is it attached to a spoke or the hub?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question (PLEASE HELP) Rss Feed