General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you race as a clyde or AG? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-06 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Do you race as a clyde or AG?
In my first tri I registered as a clyde.  It seemed to me that there were less clydes built like me than built like middle linebackers at that race.  Since then, and I held onto the idea that I would drop my weight below 200 lbs (a dream I will NOT let go of), I have registered AG (50-55).  While I am consistently close to the bottom of my AG in time (I find the times in the 50-55 group to be quite competitive), I note that I would be more mid-pack in the clyde division in most (if not all) races.  Consistent with this, I think the impression I formed at my first race was not, in general, accurate.  I think I will continue to register AG (the dream thing - I weigh 210 right now), what do you do?

2012-01-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3974446

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: Do you race as a clyde or AG?
If you are overweight and over 200#'s, you are a clyde.

If you are fit, muscular and over 200#'s, you are a clyde.

Doesnt matter you height, weight or BM!.  If you're over 200 pounds, you are a clyde.

Race what you want and where you would feel more comfortable, where you think you'll fit in more and dont worry about it.  If youre over 200#'s you have every right to be in the category.  But dont think that the clyde cat is an easy or handicapped category.  It all depends on who shows up that day.

If you think you want to go to nationals or qualify for Kona, then race AG as there isnt a Clyde category.

I race clyde because I feel thats where I belong.  I've never been an endurance athlete, but Ive been athletic all my life, and I've always been bigger than most.  I was 195# playing football, basketball and lacrosse as a freshman in High School (27 years ago) and I'm at 210 today.

2012-01-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3974680

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbesnowboarding - 2012-01-06 10:26 AM If you are overweight and over 200#'s, you are a clyde.

Doesnt matter you height, weight or BM!.  If you're over 200 pounds, you are a clyde.

Race what you want and where you would feel more comfortable, where you think you'll fit in more and dont worry about it.  If youre over 200#'s you have every right to be in the category.  But dont think that the clyde cat is an easy or handicapped category.  It all depends on who shows up that day.

If you think you want to go to nationals or qualify for Kona, then race AG as there isnt a Clyde category.

I race clyde because I feel thats where I belong.  I've never been an endurance athlete, but Ive been athletic all my life, and I've always been bigger than most.  I was 195# playing football, basketball and lacrosse as a freshman in High School (27 years ago) and I'm at 210 today.

what he said.

2012-01-06 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3974680

ratherbesnowboarding - 2012-01-06 10:26 AM If you are overweight and over 200#'s, you are a clyde.

X3

I notice at races the clydes that show up on a regular basis are built similar to me, big frame, tall and muscular.  My only hang up (for me anyway) is asking the person doing the marking to put a "C" on my chicken leg calves.

2012-01-08 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

I am 59 years old, 6 ft and 210 to 215 pounds.  I have been trying for the last three years to get back to my 185 high school weight but without luck.  When I come home from a work out get out of my way, cause I am eating everything in the house, hot, cold, or old.  Thank goodness for sports or else I would be a balloon.

I have never raced in clyde division, but I guess should consider it next time.  In cycling, I can hold my own on the flats and descending, but going up hill, no matter how hard I train, I feel the 200 plus pounds like an anchor.  It can almost be embarassing as I get passed going up, and then fly by the others on the way down only to be passed at the next hill.

I actually hate running as it kills my hips and knees.  More training doesn't really help just hurts more.  At the end of the last 1/2 mary, I felt like....well I'm sure you all know the feeling.

Ya I think I will try the division for the next race.  It couldn't hoit.

2012-01-29 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
I'm 6'3" and 212# but I have never registered as a clyde.  I never really even thought about it, but after reading more here, I may just do it in my next race.

2012-01-31 8:18 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

I am new and will be doing my first Sprints this year after training up for 5 months.  I am 43, 6'1" and started out at 236 lbs.

I don't have much hope of getting below 200, so I am going to race Clyde.  I also believe that while there is a good chance I won't bring up the rear in Clyde, I also believe that there is an equally good chance that I would in my AG.

After this first year and lots more training and events, I will revisit the decision.

M.

2012-01-31 10:47 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands

I am 6'8" and about 205. I'm tri-ing in Holland right now where they don't have the clydes/athena division. Do you guys see those sort of people (tall, "borderline"-clyde) signing up in the clydes division? 

I guess you'd have the "right" to sign up as Chris says, a clyde is a clyde. Just wondering how it works. And I've seen that the FOPers in Clydes division can hold their own in their AG, which I think is a good thing to have for this division.

2012-01-31 12:01 PM

Veteran
Ontario

We have to drag the 200+lbs through the course, regardless if its muscle or fat :P 

Im 26 so basically need to break top 10 over all to break top 3 in my AG, where I can usually place 3rd in smaller races as a clyde.  Like others said, its usually just taller guys (Im 6'4) so its not like I am taking advantage of anything.

2012-02-21 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
I like to start in the first wave I can. Therefore I sign up for the group that gives me best starting time. I'd the go off at same time I sign up as a Clyde.
2012-02-22 8:43 AM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
That is funny...I was just sitting here this morning pondering the same thing. I have been away from Tri for 7 years and packed on 40 pounds...I started training a couple weeks ago and was 220-225...right now I am at 212 and 6ft. I am not doing any event until August/Sept time frame due to being so out of shape and summer time commitments. However I want to sign up for one that is filling fast. I do not EXPECT to be 200+ for the event. However I am not sure. And in the VA tri series if you sign up and race as a Clyde you must race that division for any other event...at least that is how I read it, could be wrong...so what to do???

2012-03-15 5:08 PM

User image

Expert

I raced as an Athena for a long time.  I am, and probably always will be, eligible to race as an Athena but once I got to the point where I had improved and would consistently podium, I decided it was time to pursue a new challenge and started registering AG.

I find it fun to compete against people who are just above my level. I don't really concern myself with people far above my level because what's the point?.  If you would be mid-pack as a Clyde then that is the perfect place for you, regardless of your "appearance" in comparison.  I've had my a$$ handed to me many a times by people who "look" like they wouldn't be fast and I have no doubt that many people have questioned whether I was truly an Athena.  

Now, I will say that I've also held onto the hope that at some point I will be below the cut off but no matter how much I train, I stay around the same weight, and I don't think I'll ever have enough will power to ever actually diet. 

2012-03-17 2:43 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm 5'4" and being a female I refuse to tell my weight. I've raced in the Big Girl Cat and in my Age Group. Personally I perfer to race with the other bigger girls. I am a some what slow swimmer and racing in my age group means that I'm swam over a lot. But when I'm with the bigger girls I can keep up then catch up to everone else on the bike and finally hold my place on the run.

So I think it all depends on where you feel comfortable. You do have every right to race with the larger folks, but you can also race in your age group. I would suggest doing one of each to see what one you prefer. Good luck!

2012-03-19 7:54 AM

User image

Race as a clyde until you start winning or placing in most races...   then jump back into age group.  No shame in racing as a clyde.
2012-03-19 8:01 AM

New user

For large races that have the clyde division, I'll race there.  If it's a smaller race that historically hasn't had that many people register as a clyde, I'll go as an AGer.  I find it's nice to know that you're racing against 20 to 30+ people in your division as opposed to one or two others.
2012-03-19 10:11 AM

User image

New user

I'm 6'1 and 260lbs, and would love to compete in a Clydesdale division, would sure beat racing tooth picks, but I can't find any races in the Southern Ontario area that offer a Clydesdale division....

2012-03-21 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I race clydesdale division when I can but not every race has them. I am signed up for 2 races this year and neither of them have a clyde division so I will be racing in my AG.
2012-03-21 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
If the race has a clydedale category that's where i register , i dont mind doing AG either if Clydesdale not offered I am 6 ft 4 275 and at best my 5k time is 25:00 so zero chance to place in 40-45 M
I use my experience in transition and decent bike splits to gain some ground on the field . The longer the bike course the better for me . Once in a while (depending on who show up) i will place in a race. Which is super cool BTW. Sharing the podium with fellow racers who look like fit football players is awesome and makes you want to coe back for more .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you race as a clyde or AG? Rss Feed