General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does mountain bike cycling translate into road/triathlon cycling fitness/strength? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-06 7:12 PM

User image

Subject: Does mountain bike cycling translate into road/triathlon cycling fitness/strength?
I'm NOT looking for opinions or anecdotal answers/feedback. Does anyone know of any evidence/studies that show mountain biking translates to strength and power on a road or Tri bike? I'm especially interested in the aspect of hill climbing. My "guess" is climbing on a mountain bike would recruit the same muscles as climbing on a Tri bike. But I'm not certain and a training partner disagrees. My hope is that riding hilly mountain bike courses over the winter will help me when I will be riding hilly road courses spring, summer and fall. Again, I'm looking for documented evidence that proves or disproves a connection; not anecdotal opinions.

2012-01-06 11:56 PM
in reply to: #3975937

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Does mountain bike cycling translate into road/triathlon cycling fitness/strength?
Would listing any of the pro's that made the switch one way or the other be better for you than our anecdotal accounts?  Wish I could remember a study, but it's late and I'm very tired.  Yes, it will transfer and the more the angles match up the better it will transfer. Some people like to complicate and over think things.
2012-01-06 11:57 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Does mountain bike cycling translate into road/triathlon cycling fitness/strength?
End if thread. None exists. If you like you could combinewhat evidence there is with various aspects of performance in each sport, use your knowledge is specific sport demands and comeup with an educated hypothesis to test. But it sounds to me like you just want to ride your mountain bike...so that's what you should do regardless of any evidence, lack therof, or the opinion of your training partner.
2012-01-07 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

Look at who won the Tour de France this past year - Cadel was a two time world cup champ on the mountain bike. I think that paid off quite well for him.

As long as you're working hard on the bike, it doesn't matter if it's a road bike, mountain bike, or beach cruiser, it will help!

2012-01-07 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have never tried a mountain bike, but when you are riding, how different are the various angles (knees and hips)  relative to a road bike ?

Mikki Weiss is another one that seemed to do well at the mountain bike to tri switch.

2012-01-07 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Mountain biking is fun!

2012-01-07 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3976211

User image

brigby1 - 2012-01-07 12:56 AM Would listing any of the pro's that made the switch one way or the other be better for you than our anecdotal accounts?  Wish I could remember a study, but it's late and I'm very tired.  Yes, it will transfer and the more the angles match up the better it will transfer. Some people like to complicate and over think things.

That was my first argument to my buddy & training partner.  Weiss, Llanos, Dibens, ...  My buddy and training partner said it was not conclusive evidence.

2012-01-07 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3976320

User image

marcag - 2012-01-07 7:32 AM

I have never tried a mountain bike, but when you are riding, how different are the various angles (knees and hips)  relative to a road bike ?

Mikki Weiss is another one that seemed to do well at the mountain bike to tri switch.

When I am seated on my mountain bike I "feel" myself using some different muscle groups (using my calves and lower legs more) and my hip angle is much different than when I'm on my tri Bike.  However, when I climb I like getting out of the saddle as my HR stays low and I can generate power easier and I "feel" like I am using the same exact muscles wether climbing on a mountain bike or tri bike.  But again this is all anectodal as I am not certain. 

I am going to continue to ride hilly/challenging mountain bike courses as I enjoy riding them and believe that this will translate into improved climbing ability on my tri bike; i'd just like some concrete evidence that proves it.  As for mountain biking on technical, rooty trails; I am not a fan. 

2012-01-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3976395

Master
Northern IL
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-07 7:51 AM

brigby1 - 2012-01-07 12:56 AM Would listing any of the pro's that made the switch one way or the other be better for you than our anecdotal accounts?  Wish I could remember a study, but it's late and I'm very tired.  Yes, it will transfer and the more the angles match up the better it will transfer. Some people like to complicate and over think things.

That was my first argument to my buddy & training partner.  Weiss, Llanos, Dibens, ...  My buddy and training partner said it was not conclusive evidence.

I'm curious why they say there isn't. You're still pedaling in a circle. The closer the body angles are the more you're using the muscles in the same way between the bikes. We say that all the time for road to tri bikes and there is no reason this won't apply to mountain bikes as well.

You did mention standing up to pedal the hills. Standing positions might vary considerably, so there could be some truth, but how much depends on the variance. And if you're going to stand on the mountain bike vs sit on the tri-bike, then yeah, you might notice a difference as there would be a considerable difference in position.

Now if the trails are very technical it will be more difficult to push yourself as hard. I can't take myself as far into "that place" on the mountain bike simply because I need mental energy to steer much more precisely than when on the roads. You may also be limited on how hard you can continually push yourself due to technical sections being skill limited vs power limited. That's why the pro mountain bikers will ride the road bikes a couple times a week. It's easier for them to build fitness. And again, another pro example of switching between bike types.

2012-01-07 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Well I didn't reply at first because I have no article or printed research (just the same thoughts already posted)---BUT try posting on ST or message Rappstar---after his accident I remember him mentioning he was going to spend a decent amount of bike training time on his MTB instead-since he's a science type of guy maybe he has an article.
2012-01-07 9:28 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
It's not evidence...it's far more likely that big engines can make any bike go fast.

Mountain biking will makes you stronger and faster if the overall workload is a progression from what you have done in the recent past and previous years. But it sounds like what you want is to do steady state hill climbs...this is way more specific than all terrain mountain biking in regards to time trials.

I say forget the grudge match and just go ride. There aren't any studies that look at what you want to prove or disprove.

2012-01-07 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
The only evidence that really matters is your own N=1 sample.
2012-01-07 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3976415

It's no different from translating road bike riding to triathlon bike riding.  Sure you may have some slight changes like hip angle, but you're still riding a bicycle.  The only real difference would be how you train, you don't get as many simple 2x20 FTP intervals on a mountain bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does mountain bike cycling translate into road/triathlon cycling fitness/strength? Rss Feed