General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-01-09 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3977089

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Who are the people in your neighborhood?

I love this thread   These are the people I see while running or run in front of my house:

Crazy Beard Guy - This is a young guy who I've watched over the last 1+ year, go all Beardcore and is growing a Rip Van Wrinkle bear.

Tattooed Girl - She is one of my favorites and pretty inspirational. Never talked to her, but have seen her run past my house for the last 2 years. From the looks of it, she has dropped about 40 lbs!

The I look like Bob Ross walking my Ceasar Dog Food Dogs guy -  Yes, he looks like the old PBS painter Bob Ross, afro and all, walking 3 West Highland White Terriers in one hand and his pooper scooper in the other. 

The Barbie Doll - I went to school with this girl, real pretty, platinum bleached blonde hair, always has her make-up perfect for her runs.

I guess my nickname while running, or what people think of me would be the crazy guy runner. I'm always chanting a mantra, singing or barking at myself to pick it up. I have a tiny Mick (Rocky's Coach) yelling in my head "NO PAIN!" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo&feature=related

2012-01-09 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

We have Crazy Long-Haired Running Dude - he seriously looks like Sweetums in running shorts. He runs on a scary skinny windy busy road around here and I'm scared he'll get hit by a car. 

Sadly, that's about it because people in my town are not very active. I'm sure I'm "crazy bruised up and taped up red-head chick" to many, because I'm always sporting a mtb injury. Any with apologizes to the folks in the post office and public library, I'm probably "smelly girl."

In my old town, we had Bud Light Scooter Guy. He rode a franken-vespa with a 12-pack strapped to the front, up and down hwy 321. 

2012-01-09 8:03 AM

User image

Pro

This is why I like living in the city. Too many oddities to catalog! So much to see running in and around Fairmount Park, it takes something really incredible to stand out

2012-01-09 9:43 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

We have a few runners, a couple bikers, and very regular walkers.

The Running Man this guy runs everywhere at a good pace and near perfect form.  It is dark when I run and I saw this guy coming from a distance and thought he was riding a bike because all I saw was a headlamp with no bounce at all.  The only two times I have seen him that he wasn't running was once at REI and once before the start of a local 5K.

Short, fast guy with bad eyes this guy is the father of a friend of my oldest girl.  I see him regularly, but because he doesn't wear glasses or contacts when he runs, he never sees me (remember its dark).  I make a point to use his name when I great him so he will know its me.  Luckily we are never running the same route because he runs at least a minute per mile faster than me.

The biking couple I see this couple usually in the mid morning zipping through the neighborhood streets in full riding gear.  I assume they are coming back from a longer ride, but I never have seen them riding outside of the neighborhood.

Speaks softly and carries a big stick lady lives down the street and carries a big "a" stick.  She walks regularly in the evening, sometimes after dark.  She is friendly, but never initiates a conversation.  

Crazy lady/Johnny Cash lives next door.  My wife refers to her as crazy lady, but I learned a month or so ago that another neighbor refers to her as Johnny Cash.  She only wears black, only.  We have live next door for 9 years and I have never seen her in any thing other than black.  One of the first time she talked to my wife she asked my wife's blood type, then proceeded to tell her that she was allergic to chicken and corn based on the blood type.  She used to walk around the neighborhood with funny looking bouncy shoes (looks like big leaf springs on each foot), but that didn't help her loose any weight so she stopped that.  She went on the HGC drops and lost a bunch of weight, but she still only wears black.  

Arguing couple this couple walks every morning with their little white dog.  They perfectly illustrate a paradigm shift.  My wife mentioned one morning that every time she sees them they are arguing with each other.  I said, "you know the lady is deaf, right?"  "Oh," she said.  "That makes more sense."  Really nice couple that probably don't argue all the time, but I don't know American sign language so I don't have any idea what they are saying.

I have no idea what my nickname would be, but it probably is not good.

2012-01-09 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I don't always run at the same time or the same route, so I don't see too many of the same people often. I do know the fat, so-ugly-it's-cute bulldog that tries to run after me and stops after about two seconds. There were a couple of nice guys I met once who were training for Dallas but I haven't seen them since. I always see overdressed people around here, too - wearing hats and gloves and tights when I'm in a thin long sleeve shirt and shorts, no hat/gloves. And I'm always cold so I know it's not me - we're talking winter getup in upper 40 degree weather.

I realized this morning that my nickname, if I have one, is probably either "Happy Runner" (on a good day, I smile and wave at everyone and sometimes bob my head to my music; I dance when waiting for stoplights too) or "Crazy Hair Girl" (I wake up with big 80's hair and throw it haphazardly into a ponytail, which is always on top of my head because I can't stand sweaty hair touching my neck. It only gets bigger and frizzier the sweatier I get!)

2012-01-09 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3979921

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

runk8run - 2012-01-08 1:05 PM

I realized this morning that my nickname, if I have one, is probably either "Happy Runner" (on a good day, I smile and wave at everyone and sometimes bob my head to my music; I dance when waiting for stoplights too) or "Crazy Hair Girl" (I wake up with big 80's hair and throw it haphazardly into a ponytail, which is always on top of my head because I can't stand sweaty hair touching my neck. It only gets bigger and frizzier the sweatier I get!)

We must have the same stylist! Someone saw me out running and said the only thing they could focus on was the hair.

We have walking the three unruly neufies family - although only one person walks them at a time (mostly the dad, but sometimes the sullen teenager). The dogs really just want to smell everything and are pulling constantly. We also have I don't care if it's 20 degrees, I'm wearing shorts dude. I actually teased him one morning when he was wearing pants after a snow storm. And finally my favorite I like to sing along with my iPod really loud kid who walks around the 'hood' singing songs at the top of his lungs. Cracks me up every time.

2012-01-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3979268

User image

Master
PNW
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-01-09 6:03 AM

This is why I like living in the city. Too many oddities to catalog! So much to see running in and around Fairmount Park, it takes something really incredible to stand out

This is why I like living in the country - there are no other runners.  Not regular ones, anyway.  I did see one lady once who parked at the edge of a farm down the road and ran our roads for what was likely her long run of the week (she was out there for about 2 hours and was carrying a fuel belt).  That's the only serious runner I've ever seen.

When I'm running?  I'm the "fricken a-hole who is crazy enough to run on MY road so I'll just cut it a little too close with my BIG truck and teach her a lesson" girl. 

2012-01-09 5:21 PM

Regular
Corona

Twinkle Toes - Middle aged overweight dude that takes the smallest steps possible all on the toes like a trained ballerina dancer. Funny that I call him twinkle toes because...

Prancer is a better name for him. Prancer was a super skinny kid that discovered the gym and the bench press but forgot to work his back out in the process. He cruises through the neighborhood with either a tank top or no shirt flexing his chest the entire time. Awesome.

Ex-Army now a Cop guy who thinks he still is in the shape he was when he was on active duty. In all reality that beer belly is creeping out from under the shirt and it's grossing me out.

Power walking, stroller pushing, aerobic training mommy's group - These chicks are hardcore. Every damn day

These are the ones that stick out in my mind around my 'hood.

2012-01-09 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

I've only got one regular

BOOBS - Topless guy, with dogs... running almost everyday, and does some decent distance.  He's in great shape, but obviously used to (or continues to??) lift weights, because 'they' bounce an awful lot!

and then there's my brother and I...Whiteie (or Hairy!) and Super Whiteie Living in Taiwan means we're often the only white people, people see in a day, and when we go running by topless (I've got a better tan, so I'm not the super one) we get A LOT of looks, a few OMGs and almost  a couple scooter accidents!!!  Then again, I might be called Hairy because most Taiwanese have NO body hair, so seeing mine freaks some people out.  Oh the stories I could tell!!!

2012-01-09 6:18 PM

User image

I moved two years ago and in my new suburban hood I have no characters yet. I see nobody when I run. But in the old neighborhood there was a woman who walked everyday with her pet parrot on a stick at her shoulder. Yes, I said parrot. She was my favorite.
2012-01-09 7:13 PM

User image

Florida

The Super Smiley Lady:  She's a walker.  I love it when I pass by her.  She is so happy and smiley.  Always says something like "have an exceptional day!"  Brightens my day!

The Swishy Swishy Guy:  Makes this insane swishy sound when running.  Sounds like he's running in plastic bags!

The Someone Please Abduct Me Girl(s):  Morbid as it is, that is what I call the young women who run around with headphones in the dark with practically no clothing on.  Makes me worry about them... Better yet, they get hit by a car.  :-

Edited by BLT1115 2012-01-09 7:38 PM

2012-01-09 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Houston

There are a lot of people on the trails here, but not that many that I see often and are memorable.  That is partly because my schedule isn't very consistent.

There are a few who stand out though:

Flowered Burka Bike Lady: This Late 40s, full bodied, apparently thrilled, lady on a cruiser bike's  image is enhanced only by her flowered pastel burka filling up with air like the skirt of Mary Poppins as she cycles past us at a blazing 10mph.  The occasional appearance of her husband near by, with a beard that would make Santa's look like a goatee, completes the picture perfectly.

Get out of the House Stoner Dude: This 50 something hippie, whom I would assume was homeless if not for his rather clean clothes and tightly tied pony tail, can be seen of all hours of the day or night on or near the trail usually with his bike leaning on a tree somewhere.  It is my belief that this man values his herb, his freedom, and his spouse.  However, his spouse does not approve of the first 2.  Thus he "goes for a ride" in order to find time to get away, without getting in trouble.

As for myself I would  assume I am: Creepy Panting Lumbering Shirtless Dude: This is esspecially disturbing when you realize that within half a mile from my door our trail runs between a highschool and the football field etc.  There are those foggy mornings where I happen onto the trail near 7am and there are often young girls running on the same trail that leads through the woods where all these lasses hear is the heavy irregular steps, heavy breathing, and curses from under my breath.  There coach can thank me later for increasing there speed on such mornings as they scurry away double time.

2012-01-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3981002

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
NewClydesdale - 2012-01-09 6:55 PM

As for myself I would  assume I am: Creepy Panting Lumbering Shirtless Dude: This is esspecially disturbing when you realize that within half a mile from my door our trail runs between a highschool and the football field etc.  There are those foggy mornings where I happen onto the trail near 7am and there are often young girls running on the same trail that leads through the woods where all these lasses hear is the heavy irregular steps, heavy breathing, and curses from under my breath.  There coach can thank me later for increasing there speed on such mornings as they scurry away double time.

LOL!

2012-01-09 9:49 PM

User image

Regular
NW

Well we have safety vest guy who seems to walk/run 24/7.  We've got huffy stick guy - always on the trail running carrying a big stick and always raspy in his breathing, but most.............we've got Speedoman!

Speedoman is a late 60's ex Marine, ex triathlete that walks/runs about 10 miles a day, all year in nothing but tennis shoes, black speedo brief, and a baseball cap.  When it gets below 40, he adds gloves.  Gotta protect the extremities you know.

Just search Speedoman Chehalis and you'll witness all the "coverage".

2012-01-09 10:49 PM

Veteran

We have "hairy back guy" who shows up to all of the races wearing running shorts & no shirt.  He has the hairiest back and chest of anyone I've ever seen. 

2012-01-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3981160

User image

Expert
CenTex

Not really in my neighborhood but I see him on rides throughout the year, Thong man is a bit of an icon in the Austin area.  The guy rides a roadie all over town in a thong (nothing else) and can crush the biggest hills in town without breathing hard.  He'll even walk into the local Whole Foods to shop with his thong on.

Guy w/dog has been running through my neighborhood for several years.  We've never met as he always runs when I'm taking my boys to school but he looks like he has dropped ~40lbs since I've noticed him.

Old Asian couple is out walking regularly, carrying their sticks.  They never speak but walk along in stoic silence, as is their culture.

Old Mountain Bike Guy rides along casually a few times a week, never really looking like he's going anywhere but always moving.

Other than that, there are many families that are out sporadically but I don't see them often enough to give them nicknames.  Maybe later, though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who are the people in your neighborhood? Rss Feed  

of 3