General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Beginner Ironman Training Program - Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-07 5:50 PM

SoCal
Subject: The Beginner Ironman Training Program - Question

I'm taking a close look at the beginner IM program availalbe here on BT.com.  It look generally doable, but it looks like I may be swimming at a pace slower than that of a slug.

Here is Day 10's swim workout (40 min):

wu: 4 x 50 continuous, odds are breathe every side, evens bilateral (what does bilateral mean?)
main: 2 x 1000, 1 is RPE 4, 2 is RPE 6
cd: 250 easy

Now I don't know about you guys, but I know that covering 2500 meters in 40 minutes is absolutedly impossible for me.  It takes me 25-30 minutes to do 1000 meters (Meters or Yards, I'm not actually sure - but it's 40 laps in the gym's pool, one lap being one-way).  I also know that my swim split was around 35 minutes in my last Oly (late 2011).

I know my swim technique is not strong, and I have never swam competitively. I'm going to have a friend help me with that and if I can fit Masters Swimming into my schedule, I will be signing up for that as well.

But for now, am I reading something wrong?  The biking and running parts of the training plan all seem very easy (in the beginning at least) but this swim portion is boggling my mind!

I am currently looking at plans to prepare for IMAZ.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2012-01-07 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3977167

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: The Beginner Ironman Training Program - Question

Do the workout ignore the estimated time. There is an assumption about what someone's swim pace so if you are slower than that it will take you longer.

It would take me longer than 40 minutes to do 2450 yards where many on this site would be done sooner than 40 minutes.

2012-01-07 6:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-08 12:46 AM

SoCal

Thanks for the responses. That definitely puts my mind at a bit of ease.

2012-01-08 7:27 PM

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
violation - 2012-01-07 6:50 PM

I'm taking a close look at the beginner IM program availalbe here on BT.com.  It look generally doable, but it looks like I may be swimming at a pace slower than that of a slug.

wu: 4 x 50 continuous, odds are breathe every side, evens bilateral (what does bilateral mean?)
main: 2 x 1000, 1 is RPE 4, 2 is RPE 6
cd: 250 easy

Now I don't know about you guys, but I know that covering 2500 meters in 40 minutes is absolutedly impossible for me.  It takes me 25-30 minutes to do 1000 meters (Meters or Yards, I'm not actually sure - but it's 40 laps in the gym's pool, one lap being one-way).  I also know that my swim split was around 35 minutes in my last Oly (late 2011).

I know my swim technique is not strong, and I have never swam competitively. I'm going to have a friend help me with that and if I can fit Masters Swimming into my schedule, I will be signing up for that as well.

But for now, am I reading something wrong?  The biking and running parts of the training plan all seem very easy (in the beginning at least) but this swim portion is boggling my mind!

I am currently looking at plans to prepare for IMAZ.

This means to breathe on both sides (alternate breathing to the left and right).

Good luck with your training!!

2012-01-13 9:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I used this program when I did St George in 2010.  Since at the time I didn't know what all the swimming lingo meant for the workout, I just swam freestyle for the amount of time listed. 

My pace going into this plan was also 35 minutes for oly, and my HIM a few weeks later was 45 min.

On race day I got through the swim in 89 minutes comfortably. This would have been faster had my hands not gone numb and seized up from the cold water.  I waited for the chaos to clear before I started swimming. There were also a lot of people exiting the water at the same time as me.

If your stroke is good and you can maintain that pace, you will have no problem in the swim. 

2012-01-14 8:54 AM

Regular
San Luis Obispo
Doing the workouts is what's the main focus...not the time.
2012-01-19 11:17 AM

yes it means breathe every side, the best way to do this is breathe every 3rd stroke.i agree just do the workout and don't worry about time
2012-01-20 5:07 AM

violation - 2012-01-08 10:50 AM

Personally, I feel there is a little too much swim time in most triathlon programs. The way I look at it, the swim is a pretty small part of the overall Ironman. All I'm looking at doing is completing the distance as comfortably as possible, and not to worry too much about the time. To do this, I'm going to focus on technique technique technique, rather than lots and lots of laps. Yss, eventually, I will have to swim further  - but not in the first few weeks with bad technique, which will only get worse if I'm tired. So I'll probably spend 30 or maybe 45mins in the pool/sea at first, and only swim about 1000 or at most 1500 meters. Later, I plan to add some bikes/runs straight after swims, as I think this is a neglected area that can be worked on. Just my 2 cents - otherwise I like the plan a lot.

Edited by seanmullins 2012-01-20 5:07 AM
2012-01-21 12:31 PM

in a van, down by the river
violation - 2012-01-07 6:50 PM

Here is Day 10's !

Feel the same way, I started this 2 weeks ago, can do the drill or the time but not both. How soon is your event ? Are you in the plan now and committed ?
2012-01-26 11:31 PM
in reply to: #4000889

Mountain View, CA
seanmullins - 2012-01-20 3:07 AM

violation - 2012-01-08 10:50 AM

Personally, I feel there is a little too much swim time in most triathlon programs. The way I look at it, the swim is a pretty small part of the overall Ironman. All I'm looking at doing is completing the distance as comfortably as possible, and not to worry too much about the time. To do this, I'm going to focus on technique technique technique, rather than lots and lots of laps. Yss, eventually, I will have to swim further  - but not in the first few weeks with bad technique, which will only get worse if I'm tired. So I'll probably spend 30 or maybe 45mins in the pool/sea at first, and only swim about 1000 or at most 1500 meters. Later, I plan to add some bikes/runs straight after swims, as I think this is a neglected area that can be worked on. Just my 2 cents - otherwise I like the plan a lot.

My two cents: I went into my second HIM undertrained on the swim (trying keep an overuse injury at bay), and although I completed the swim comfortably, I really felt it on the bike. My shoulders were more fatigued than they had been in my first HIM, and I think my bike performance suffered for it.

Which is not to say that what you're doing is wrong--one can train less than the prescribed amount and still not go in as undertrained as I was. I suppose I simply mean that the effects of your swim training don't end when you exit the water, and it's good to be mindful of that.

2012-01-30 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4013546

My two cents: I went into my second HIM undertrained on the swim (trying keep an overuse injury at bay), and although I completed the swim comfortably, I really felt it on the bike. My shoulders were more fatigued than they had been in my first HIM, and I think my bike performance suffered for it. Which is not to say that what you're doing is wrong--one can train less than the prescribed amount and still not go in as undertrained as I was. I suppose I simply mean that the effects of your swim training don't end when you exit the water, and it's good to be mindful of that.

Yeah fair point. I do a lot of Biking, not just because it's the longest leg, but to make sure I can run after a long ride. I guess making sure the swim isn't too taxing for the rest of the event is also important, and I will probably need to ramp up to longer distances to do this. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Beginner Ironman Training Program - Question Rss Feed