Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 59s
Overall Rank = 13/328
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal and piece of bread for breakfast. Drive over to Grapevine
Event warmup:

After getting timing chip, I stayed in my car until about 20min before the race to keep warm. Did a short warmup (maybe .5mi total) with a few strides.
Run
  • 1h 29m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

An excellent run for me. Ended up with about 20 people (both 15k and 1/2 mary) in front of me at the start, so it gave me some targets to chase the first half of the race. My pace was probably a little faster than I intended early on, but I felt ok holding it. By mile 7, the next person ahead of me was long gone, so I focused on keeping it steady and not letting my pace drop off. The final turnaround seemed like it was taking a long time to reach, so I was probably dropping off a bit; however, I think I picked it up again the last mile and again the last 1/2 mile. A strong kick at the end and I finally broke 1:30 for a half, beating my previous PR by 4 1/2 minutes!

Really felt like I was staying focused and making good decisions - good lines through the curvy paths, appropriate pacing, timing to make passes, etc.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was my best race to date. Need to adjust my training paces to keep improving with some more aggressive targets, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, had a few sips of hot chocolate, then joined Lee as he passed on his way to start the last 4 miles. Ran with him for 2 miles, but as we passed the starting area, I broke off to stretch again, rest a few minutes, and check for results (not posted yet, though).

Jogged out again to find Lee, and ran back with him the last 2/3mi, egging him on to sprint for the finish.

Event comments:

This race was very well done for a smaller, local event. Well attended, well staffed, and organized. Volunteers for everything from parking to every turn point on the course.

Swag: The full-sized bottle of hair spray was a little unusual, but the event technical tee was well done - dark purple, cute footprints in vertical line on front, fun quote on back and not even any sponsors. Also received a knit running toque (beanie) with their logo at the finish.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:59 | 13.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 13/328
Performance: Good
(get from Garmin)
Course: Out and back loops on park roads and paved trails. Continuous, lightly rolling, but no significant elevation change or hills. Often wooded and protected from wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes