General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 ADPi Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-04-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3979703

Subject: RE: 2012 ADPi

I think we all need to cut the girls some slack. The event grew really fast this year and it obviously created some challanges but you have to remeber that these are not pro race directors and there intention is to put on a fun charity event. I noticed that there was several local pro's at the race so it obviously grew beyond that.

By the way it seems to me that this event was so short that it wouldn't even make a decent training event for a pro, there is no money on the line, so I am curious why the pro's or elites wouldn't be better served to go out and do a normal traingin day were they can get in a lot more miles. I am obviously not a apro so I am not sure the thinking on that but I would be interested in anyone has some insight on that.

Also does anyone know what the actual distance of the run was? It seemed short for a 5K.

Thanks.

-David

2012-04-07 7:20 AM

I agree with the fact that it is not a professionally managed race and don't think anyone expected it to be. The biggest concerns expressed by most had to do with participant safety (primarily at one intersection of the bike). Also this wasn't the first year of the event so not having it approved by both city and county police is on the sorority. I'm sure the weather also helped lead to a rush in registrations in the last few days (myself included).

I will do the race again. Maybe a local tri club/shop will provide guidance in the future.

According to my Garmin, the run was about 2.9 miles.
2012-04-11 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Totally agree with everything that has been said. I will ask if any of you have that email with the final results I would love to get them, please email me at [email protected]. Also, thanks for letting me know about the 2 mile bike people, I saw those 44 min times and I was like HOLY COW!!!! They had to be riding like 30 MPH and running 15 min 5k!

I do not want to barrage the RD with comments, but hope someone will give her the recommendation now that this race is as big as it is that it is time to get a real race organization in to run it end to end. I moved here from FL where you could race several times a month from March until October, so a race with this many safety issues (criss crossing, headphones (headphones, come on!!!), dangerous police crossings, etc&hellip could never survive. But here in TN where the next viable race isn't for months, which that answers why pros and elites race it, you just cannot get the rust off in a training session. That is also why the actual race winners went out after for a training ride, this was a race situation/transition practice, but not "real mileage". I think getting Race Day, Team Magic or Start 2 Finish in to run this top to bottom, get it USAT sanctioned (it is $50) and a re-designed proper course and this thing could become a must do event. However, given the pool swim and road congestion, it should really be capped at 400 max. If they don't, this could become a "remember when there used to be a race in early April" memory.

This was the first time I did this and really enjoyed the event overall (How can you not enjoy an event with Sorority girls?!). I was stoked to be able to do a race so early in the season, now I am jonesing because the next one isn't until Cedars of Lebanon which is a ridiculously short race. I will do it again because I had fun, but will come into it with alot lower expectations of the RD's.

2012-04-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4143873

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Good news then.  The Cedars race is put on by a pretty good RD.  You won't have to lower your expectations.

2012-04-11 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Absolutely. Meant lower expectations of adpi, not cedars. One of the reasons I am doing cedars is because I have done team magic events and I think they do a pretty solid job. Chatt waterfront was fantastic last year!
2012-04-13 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4133036

User image

Murfreesboro

CRunner10 - 2012-04-05 6:04 PM Here's the more important question. Are there any signs of the official results or race pictures?

I'm with you brother.  Where's the results and pix?

2012-04-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4148020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
tgober - 2012-04-13 8:25 AM

CRunner10 - 2012-04-05 6:04 PM Here's the more important question. Are there any signs of the official results or race pictures?

I'm with you brother.  Where's the results and pix?

Well we are out of luck. The official results are at raceday.net and they are still wrong. Shelby said they did not have anyone taking pics!
2012-04-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4148249

User image

Murfreesboro
Do you think the chip system Martin used for timing was screwed up?  You know he used this same system at last year's Run For Him and I had complaints about the times for 2 weeks after the race.  And no one was taking pictures?  How basic of a task is this.  Just get people to take pictures and post them on a website.  I'm thankful you got the video of me finishing.  Oh well, we had fun and it was good seeing everyone again.
2012-04-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4148347

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
tgober - 2012-04-13 10:04 AMDo you think the chip system Martin used for timing was screwed up?  You know he used this same system at last year's Run For Him and I had complaints about the times for 2 weeks after the race.  And no one was taking pictures?  How basic of a task is this.  Just get people to take pictures and post them on a website.  I'm thankful you got the video of me finishing.  Oh well, we had fun and it was good seeing everyone again.
I've never been impressed with RD timing. I was shocked they had no photography. Last years pics were great!
2012-04-14 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Here's what they have: http://racedayevents.net/partner-events/

This appears to be the same results they emailed to everyone.

Edited by Blueraiderzone 2012-04-14 11:03 AM
2012-04-15 12:55 PM

User image

FYI - Timing is pretty straight-forward. The hardware collects the data as the chips cross the mats at different segments of the event. The data gets loaded into the software for scoring.

Either process can bring some issues - missed chips, wrong chips, switched chips, categories not set up correctly, etc. There are also the factors that arise during the event - like traffic control, accidents, etc. - mentioned previously.

Many times the bike / run segment times need to be reviewed for "odd" times that show course could not have been completed as marked. These people / times can be removed / DQ'd before any results are released. It does not look like that process was followed at this event. If event directors and timers are different entities, they need to coordinate decisions and inform affected athletes.

Problems occur when course is not completed but times are slow enough to be near a reasonable course time. Race officials / volunteers need to be designated to physically report people going off or cutting course to get those situations identified. We had this later situation at a couple of events in the past where athlete claims of others had not completed the bike or run course but this could not be verified by computer results or race personnel. Race directors make plans for most every possibility but sometimes things happen outside of plans (outside accidents, ambulances, freak storms, etc.)

Communication (internal between race staff & external with athletes) needs to be part of a race plan to ensure a "fair event" for all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 ADPi Rss Feed  

of 4