General Discussion Triathlon Talk » R&R AZ 26.2 Pre-Race Carpool? Light Rail? Taxi? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-09 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: R&R AZ 26.2 Pre-Race Carpool? Light Rail? Taxi?

I'm new in town ... no experience with the light rail or traffic patterns, etc .... what is the best solution for pre-race on the full marathon? SHould I park at Tempe and take light rail downtown? THis seems pretty busy before a big race. What time should I get to Tempe? Or just park at start line and figure something out to get back downtown afterwards?

Or does anyone want to share a cab from Mission Palms to go downtown to start line before race?

What do you guys think?

2012-01-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3979890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: R&R AZ 26.2 Pre-Race Carpool? Light Rail? Taxi?

Are you staying at Tempe Mission Palms?  If so, there is no need to drive a car anywhere - you are within .25 mile from the light rail and about .75 mile from the finish line.

The light rail travel is a new occurrence for the marathon this year, and really is the only option with the buses not being used.  If you are staying at TMP, I would recommend catching the light rail from the station right by the hotel.  It is supposed to be free for athletes between 5-7a on race day.

I would not recommend parking at the start, as it will not be cheap, and getting back there will require a light rail or taxi ride, neither of which will be free post-race.

If you are not staying at TMP and have a car, I would recommend parking at one of the Arizona State University parking structures within .5-.75 mile from the finish, as they will be easier to get in and out of than will the parking areas right at the finish line (if those are even open).  There is a parking garage just south of Sun Devil Stadium, and my wife always parks at a different parking structure on McAllister Ave, just south of University (about .4-.5 mi from the finish line area).  Rates are pretty cheap, I think less than $10 if I recall (I am never there when she pays, obviously).  If you park at either of the garages, there are light rail stations close to both.

Whatever option you choose, give yourself some time, as with the half marathon starting from Tempe now, you can bet the traffic into the area will be heavier, as there will be none of them getting dropped off downtown this year - they will all converge on ASU.

The light rail is supposed to make things easier this year, and with only marathoners going to downtown Phoenix (about 6-8K max), accessibility to the rail system should not be too bad.  But again, give yourself plenty of time, unless you thrive on running late and enjoy the stress of pushing time to the limit.  HA HA

2012-01-10 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
jsselle - 2012-01-09 9:54 AM

I'm new in town ... no experience with the light rail or traffic patterns, etc .... what is the best solution for pre-race on the full marathon? SHould I park at Tempe and take light rail downtown? THis seems pretty busy before a big race. What time should I get to Tempe? Or just park at start line and figure something out to get back downtown afterwards?

Or does anyone want to share a cab from Mission Palms to go downtown to start line before race?

What do you guys think?

If you are doing the full, I highly recommend signing up for the "warm zone." It's money well spent. You park in Tempe and the VIP shuttle will take you to a warm "tent" area a block away from the start.  You don't have to fight any of the crowds and potty lines, and they provide you with food, coffee, drinks, stretching areas, etc...  It'll make race morning very stress free

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/2011/12/arizona/upgrade-to-the-warm-zone_22933

2012-01-10 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I had zero issues with parking last year but only running the half this year.  Hopefully there's no repeat of last Saturday (set your alarm before you start drinking if you want it to go off at the correct time) and good luck everyone!
2012-01-10 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ

Warm zone looks tempting but it does not look like it includes VIP shuttle? Is anyone sure it includes a shuttle? If so it is sure worth $45 to me.

Thanks for info so far.

2012-01-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3982755

User image

Expert
jsselle - 2012-01-10 4:37 PM

Warm zone looks tempting but it does not look like it includes VIP shuttle? Is anyone sure it includes a shuttle? If so it is sure worth $45 to me.

Thanks for info so far.

Good point. I'm assuming that there is a shuttle (as that's what was offered last year through Red Rock). They are offering "premium parking spots" so it'd make sense if you parked in Tempe and were shuttled to Phoenix.... could be wrong though... maybe worth shooting them in email.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » R&R AZ 26.2 Pre-Race Carpool? Light Rail? Taxi? Rss Feed