of 5

2012-01-19 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3999240

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Neighbor Fence Questions
lonoscurse - 2012-01-19 9:01 AM

informed him that I had an active imagination, and fully understood my 1st amendment rights, including my ability to comment on his spouse's weight, and habit of coloring her hair whenever I saw them in the back yard

Wow.

2012-01-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3982120

User image

Regular

As of now I am shopping for a new shed that will go where the mower is currently parked.  My wife is designing a nice mural for their side.  Its 4 below out now and I am to cold to go out and worry to much about it. 

My other neighbors are more than excited to come and help build the shed.  They had many good ideas on what I could store back there.  My city issued trash containers will now be stored in the back yard.  We are also thinking of building an 8ft fence as there is 6ft.  Anyone have any good color ideas.  I called they city and explained the situation and they will issue a me permit to build on up to 10 feet. 

I have many many good ideas but I always want to be a good person and be nice.  I am very torn in the situation.  I hope to live in this house for many years.  If I build a good high fence I could be done with this situation and move on. 

Thanks for the fun ideas.  My sis in law is ready to write a letter with her company's  letter head to have them quit harassing  us.  That might do the trick and its free.

2012-01-19 11:36 AM

User image

Elite

I cannot see any instance in which having a lawn mower on your property is something worthy of a complaint, unless you have crazy HOA rules.  We don't have a shed (I'm in a house with several apartments) and have to do this. 

I had mean neighbors who would come over and tell us we couldn't park in front of their house, and we never did, unless it was a guest and we usually told hthem, hey, park somewhere else, b/c they'll harass us.  Oddly enough, every time their children and grandkids came over (at least once a month) they had a huge old suburban that they would park in front of our house and take up two parking spaces.  Then we finally said the hell with them.  Turns out there is NO jurisdiction in the streets.  You can't leave a car in a spot for more than a week, but thats it.  Finally had to fight fire with fire.

But in our instance, I'd send them a nice letter with all the laws you can find that cover you.  The property line, the fence laws, etc, and any HOA restrictions in your favor to say, hey, this is the law as it is.  Respect my property, and I'll do the same. After all, it is half my fence.  If not, then its a legal battle.

2012-01-19 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3999547

Chuckhead - 2012-01-19 11:13 AM

As of now I am shopping for a new shed that will go where the mower is currently parked.  My wife is designing a nice mural for their side.  Its 4 below out now and I am to cold to go out and worry to much about it. 

My other neighbors are more than excited to come and help build the shed.  They had many good ideas on what I could store back there.  My city issued trash containers will now be stored in the back yard.  We are also thinking of building an 8ft fence as there is 6ft.  Anyone have any good color ideas.  I called they city and explained the situation and they will issue a me permit to build on up to 10 feet. 

I have many many good ideas but I always want to be a good person and be nice.  I am very torn in the situation.  I hope to live in this house for many years.  If I build a good high fence I could be done with this situation and move on. 

Thanks for the fun ideas.  My sis in law is ready to write a letter with her company's  letter head to have them quit harassing  us.  That might do the trick and its free.

Sounds like you need a yapppy dog for a weekend

2012-01-19 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3992710

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan
Chuckhead - 2012-01-16 10:37 AM

They had a survey done when they built the fence.  As far as them as people they have treated all the people around me with the same disdain. 

Across the street we have a great older couple and the man likes to park his pickup in the street.  They call the police every time its there.  The local law says that is needs to move once every 24 hours or it has to be in the driveway.  I offered to move it a foot each day when I leave for work but they put it somewhere else.  People on the other side have a little dog that likes to come over and say high to us.  They called animal control and the neighbors had to pay $89 to have him jumped from the pound.  Told them they will call each time they see it out of the yard.  This dog is a 9 pound mix breed that is super friendly and older.   Local kids will get yelled at if the skateboard in front of their house. 

So for now I am going to ignore them and leave it at that.  And buy a boat and a huge pink garden shed......

This sounds like the older couple that lives next to us among their other odd behavior, here are the highlights:

1) Our good friends live on the other side of them.  He used to coach the local girls HS swim team.  Before regionals one year, the girls all came over in the middle of the night to chalk his driveway with such obscenities as "we love you coach!!" and to fork his lawn.  These two busy-bodies called the cops on the girls because they were a "gang" that was "putting grafitti" all over the neighborhood. 

2) They are literally the "stay of my lawn" people to the neighborhood kids.  Even my 2 yr old got scolded last summer...

3) On the fence issue, as I was buying my house a few years ago, the put up sections of wood privacy fence on 3 sides in their backyard between their large shrubs.  They gave all the neighbors the inward-facing side, leaving the cleaner looking "outer" side for themselves.

2012-01-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3999866

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
madcap95 - 2012-01-19 2:23 PM

This sounds like the older couple that lives next to us among their other odd behavior, here are the highlights:

1) Our good friends live on the other side of them.  He used to coach the local girls HS swim team.  Before regionals one year, the girls all came over in the middle of the night to chalk his driveway with such obscenities as "we love you coach!!" and to fork his lawn.  These two busy-bodies called the cops on the girls because they were a "gang" that was "putting grafitti" all over the neighborhood. 

2) They are literally the "stay of my lawn" people to the neighborhood kids.  Even my 2 yr old got scolded last summer...

3) On the fence issue, as I was buying my house a few years ago, the put up sections of wood privacy fence on 3 sides in their backyard between their large shrubs.  They gave all the neighbors the inward-facing side, leaving the cleaner looking "outer" side for themselves.

They sound like real pains.  Our town code says that the "better" side must face the neighbor.  If you want, you could always check to see if your town has the same requirement. 

Edited by cthoops 2012-01-20 8:19 AM

2012-01-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3999485

User image

Expert
lisac957 - 2012-01-19 10:48 AM
lonoscurse - 2012-01-19 9:01 AM

informed him that I had an active imagination, and fully understood my 1st amendment rights, including my ability to comment on his spouse's weight, and habit of coloring her hair whenever I saw them in the back yard

Wow.

I was truly at the end of my rope when I made this threat to him.  And I did it for two reasons:

1. I knew anything directed towards him personally would be wasted breath.  But, his wife was somewhat neurotic, and I knew that she would drive him crazy if she felt slighted at all.
  2. She had, the week before, called my son and his friends "white trash" for jumping together on a trampoline in our yard.  I figured if she could call 7 year old kids names, loud enough for them to hear, she was fair game.
2012-01-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4001130

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

They sound like real pains.  Our town code says that the "better" side must face the neighbor.  If you want, you could always check to see if your town has the same requirement. 

I do have an email in to the city about that, haven't heard back...

2012-01-20 10:27 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I bet it doesn't help the I made a BMX track in the backyard and we tend to be loud and have tons of fun out there. I lost the battle for a half pipe and had to settle for the track with a start gate.

Hmmmm.....

I wonder why they wanted to put up a privacy fence between your property and theirs???????

This paragraph begins to answer some of my questions (along with the paragraphs that followed about lawn care not being a priority). They are probably on some lawn and garden forum posting about their neighbors who have a BMX track and don't take care of the lawn......and getting many outraged responses about damn inconsiderate neighbors. Sometimes it is nice to put yourself in the other person's shoes for a minute.

It doesn't begin to address the issue of the OP (them coming on your property) but it does explain their interest in the fence in the first place. I'm not judging , I'm just saying.

Tread lightly. A war with your neighbors can be a very ugly, long-term thing. Sometimes it is best to try to get along.

good luck
2012-01-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3992710

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chuckhead - 2012-01-16 10:37 AM

They had a survey done when they built the fence.  As far as them as people they have treated all the people around me with the same disdain. 

Across the street we have a great older couple and the man likes to park his pickup in the street.  They call the police every time its there.  The local law says that is needs to move once every 24 hours or it has to be in the driveway.  I offered to move it a foot each day when I leave for work but they put it somewhere else.  People on the other side have a little dog that likes to come over and say high to us.  They called animal control and the neighbors had to pay $89 to have him jumped from the pound.  Told them they will call each time they see it out of the yard.  This dog is a 9 pound mix breed that is super friendly and older.   Local kids will get yelled at if the skateboard in front of their house. 

So for now I am going to ignore them and leave it at that.  And buy a boat and a huge pink garden shed......

Ok, I read further. It sounds like they are the issue.

I'm still going to say that I would be not crazy if my neighbor's lawn mower lived in a spot that every time I looked out the window it was sitting in the lawn. Beverly Hillbillies anyone? When do you get your 1983 Camaro on cinder blocks for the front yard? Would that be OK?

I however, would have a civil conversation with my neighbor and do my best to not be a total jerk when I asked them about their mower-unlike your neighbors.

Both sides of this dispute could probably act a little better.

Edit to say: I am afraid I am going to get flamed on this. I am obviously not in the majority.

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-01-20 10:44 AM
2012-01-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3999866

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

madcap95 - 2012-01-19 11:23 AM

If a neighbor scolded my 2 year old I'd have a hard time with my temper. Seriously, that would get ugly fast.

2012-01-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4001474

User image

Elite
Reno

wannabefaster - 2012-01-20 10:27 They are probably on some lawn and garden forum posting about their neighbors who have a BMX track and don't take care of the lawn......and getting many outraged responses about damn inconsiderate neighbors. Sometimes

I was thinking the exact same thing.    Neighborhoods vary alot, and what people expect in enjoyment of their property vary alot.   A good fence can make a good neighbor, for this very reason.   They could have gone about the fence in a more "neighborly fashion" and can certainly keep from trespassing on your property.  

I do agree that they are a bit extreem, and probably could have found a different neighborhood where they are the norm and not the end of the spectrum, so they will have to compromise.    And I do think it is funny to come up with extreem suggestions on the internet about pink flamingos and commodes.

I look out my side window and I see the neighbors wheel barrow tucked against his house, clearly visible from my side.  It never once made me think "he should put that somewhere where I cannto see it".   However, I did once ask my other neighbor to pick up his dog doo (we are talking huge piles accumulated over unknown time of two large dogs in a fenced yard 15x30 feet big) because the smell wafted into my patio where we like to eat in the summer.   As we have always been neighborly with each other, this was not a confrontational issue.   (Unless he is on some forum elsewhere complaining about HIS uptight neighbor who thinks she can  boss him around).

2012-01-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4001582

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan
Slidell4life - 2012-01-20 12:12 PM

If a neighbor scolded my 2 year old I'd have a hard time with my temper. Seriously, that would get ugly fast.

Luckily I wasn't there when it happened.  She was out front with my wife. 

2012-01-20 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

I haven't read this whole thread, But my question is, if my neighbor puts up a fence, is it his fence, or our fence ?  My neighbor has a fenced in back yard because of the previous owners of my house.  We are good friends with them, we have even talked about removing part of the fence so our back-yards connect more.  One day he has a crew over there power-washing the fence, He calls me up and asks if I would like then to wash and stain my side of the fence, and it would run me around $750.00 .  I said no, then said to myself, I wasn't aware that I had a fence...

P.S.  To the OP, Yes, it was an intrusion of your privacy that they came into your yard.  And to the neighbor who scolded the 2 year old.  We would have words next time they were outside...

Edited by SoberTriGuy 2012-01-20 2:22 PM
2012-01-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4001997

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
madcap95 - 2012-01-20 3:11 PM
Slidell4life - 2012-01-20 12:12 PM

Luckily I wasn't there when it happened.  She was out front with my wife. 

X2  I would have been beyond mad!  If  he had a buried gas line under his lawn I might have called the utility company, community safety and all.  or perhaps spilled 2-3 gallons of round up on the lawn.
2012-01-21 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4002042

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
this - search "prince mongo" on google images - this house isn't far from my inlaws apparently city cleared it last summer and he recently rebuilt

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prince+mongo&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=52...

The oversized women's panties in a variety of colors were always a hit !

2012-01-21 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4001130

User image

Master
Dirt Road

I put your bikes there. I saw a guy and a girl leaving your yard with them and notices right off that they were attempting to steal your

bikes. I quickly chased them down and stopped the theft (without damaging your bikes, I might add.) Since they were punks I was

able to hold them both down until the police arrived. Come to find out they were wanted for murder in three states so I didn't feel the

need to contact you to press charges. Anyway, I am sorry for returning your bikes to the wrong place. I will try to do better next time.

I wish you would have asked me before jumping to conclusions. I would normally never come into your yard without asking first.

Please except my apology,

Your neighbor 

2012-01-21 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4001512

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

wannabefaster - 2012-01-20 10:39 AM

I'm still going to say that I would be not crazy if my neighbor's lawn mower lived in a spot that every time I looked out the window it was sitting in the lawn. Beverly Hillbillies anyone? When do you get your 1983 Camaro on cinder blocks for the front yard? Would that be OK?  

Of course, if it's your property.
If someone is so bothered by their neighbors belongings being view-able on their own property, maybe they should move to a nice place in the country with many neighbor-less acres to themselves.

2012-01-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4003784

User image

Payson, AZ
lisac957 - 2012-01-21 6:14 PM

If someone is so bothered by their neighbors belongings being view-able on their own property, maybe they should move to a nice place in the country with many neighbor-less acres to themselves.

Actually, where I live I can't even park my nice camper in the front yard overnight as I get ready for a trip, let alone an old car on cinder blocks.  the good and evil of a HOA.  sigh. 

2012-01-21 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4003784

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
lisac957 - 2012-01-21 9:14 PM

I knew that was coming. I have nothing to say really. It would suck to have unpleasant neighbors, no matter what your definition.
2012-01-21 11:03 PM
in reply to: #4003833

User image

Elite
Reno
bzgl40 - 2012-01-21 8:42 PM

Actually, where I live I can't even park my nice camper in the front yard overnight as I get ready for a trip, let alone an old car on cinder blocks.  the good and evil of a HOA.  sigh. 

neighborhoods vary!  I would never live in an HOA that strict.   My parents do, sort of.   When we all visit, they pull the camper out of off- premisis storage and we use it as extended lodging for a weekend in the drive way.  My mother says - "what are they going to do to me?  I am "fill in age""?!    The HOA is not organized for actual enforcement, and if they were, my parents would probably be running it.   I guess that is how "we" are.

I was the president of an HOA in a urban condo association (64 units) for about 5  years (figured if I was going to live this closely with that many people, I would set myself up as Queen).    We were pretty loose, really.    At least in my opinion.   Trash in hallways = bad.   Blocked fire escapes=bad.   Pets making sound/smell issues =bad.   Dog poo not picked up = bad.    I didn't think anyone could argue with these items, but I was wrong.   I ruled with an iron hand and a pad of yellow postits that i would write "hi neighbor" friendly notes on.   Frankly, they were quite effective.    I still own a condo there, and when I was visiting last with neighbor friends , they asked when I would be back, "we need you" they say.   They miss their "Mrs. Kravitz".    

I think I am weak on visual "noise" from other people's property.   It has to smell or sound for me to find it annoying in my own home.    

2012-01-22 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4003975

User image

Payson, AZ
bootygirl - 2012-01-21 9:03 PM
bzgl40 - 2012-01-21 8:42 PM

neighborhoods vary!  I would never live in an HOA that strict.   My parents do, sort of.   When we all visit, they pull the camper out of off- premisis storage and we use it as extended lodging for a weekend in the drive way.  My mother says - "what are they going to do to me?  I am "fill in age""?!    The HOA is not organized for actual enforcement, and if they were, my parents would probably be running it.   I guess that is how "we" are.

I was the president of an HOA in a urban condo association (64 units) for about 5  years (figured if I was going to live this closely with that many people, I would set myself up as Queen).    We were pretty loose, really.    At least in my opinion.   Trash in hallways = bad.   Blocked fire escapes=bad.   Pets making sound/smell issues =bad.   Dog poo not picked up = bad.    I didn't think anyone could argue with these items, but I was wrong.   I ruled with an iron hand and a pad of yellow postits that i would write "hi neighbor" friendly notes on.   Frankly, they were quite effective.    I still own a condo there, and when I was visiting last with neighbor friends , they asked when I would be back, "we need you" they say.   They miss their "Mrs. Kravitz".    

I think I am weak on visual "noise" from other people's property.   It has to smell or sound for me to find it annoying in my own home.    

Like I said, there are pro's and cons.  In reality they are not that strict and I notice people do it anyways, but it does prevent the longer term parking.  I have seen HOA's way worse that I would never consider living in, but I do miss my non-HOA home in Oregon.  One of my friends in FL are not allowed to leave their garbage cans outside.  They have to store them in the garage.  Can you imagine what that smells like in the middle of the summer?  Ugh.  I'd be looking to compost for sure.

2012-01-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3999547

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Chuckhead - 2012-01-19 10:13 AM

My sis in law is ready to write a letter with her company's  letter head to have them quit harassing  us.  That might do the trick and its free.

Careful with that, might end up getting your sis in law fired unless she's the owner/partner. 

I think those crazy neighbours are more common than people think. As a kid I lived beside an lady who always wore black and a lampshade for a hat and she was forever taking pictures of people's hedges or unshoveled sidewalks to send to the city. She built a huge U driveway, then fenced it off so the kids wouldn't ride their bmx bikes on it, and screamed at everyone.

Years ago a childhood friend had a loon next door, and they were at the point where the dad was hanging cabbage patch kids in nooses from his bathroom window (they had windows that faced it), and parking cars so there was less than an inch of room. They also did the pink fence thing. It was madness.

2012-01-23 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
This is from another blog I read, who sent in a list of letters with their neighborhood association. *warning mild profanity* http://thewvsr.com/gargoyle.htm
2012-01-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4001997

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
I would erect a 10 ft tall sign in bright lettering that read "Grumpy old farts" with an arrow pointing to their yard.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighbor Fence Questions Rss Feed  

of 5