Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighbor Fence Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-01-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3982120

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Neighbor Fence Questions

My Sis in law is a Partner at her firm. She is more than willing and it will not put her in any peril.

As for our neighborhood its the kind of place that everyone helps each other and grabs each others mail etc. We have cookouts and block parties.  I am always loaning or borrowing tools and trading labor.   I am going to move my mower soon as I am still battling a long lasting stomach bug.   I am going to build my own fence where the one the built ends.  The stopped it at a tree that is overhanging onto our land.  (2/3 of it hangs onto our place) It looks like they did not want to trim the tree back to finish the fence.  I am lucky cause my Uncles still run the family sawmill and I am welcome to scrap wood as long as I keep it in reason. 

My BMX track is 3 1 foot high bumps that my 3 year old can ride his strider over.  Its a prairie field that we mowed down and made into a small bike track.  Lot less noise than a tramp or backyard pool.  My neighbor across the street works with me at the Y and wants to help with the fence.  She can not help but laugh at the whole situation.  I have my permit request into the city to build an 8' fence.  In our town you can build any type you like as long its 6' or under.  I just watched The worlds fastest Indian and I really like the corrugated Metal  fence that they have in that movie. 

In general these people want to live in a place that has everything perfect and no cars outside or any kids playing.  I really wish they would have found a place like that.  My in-laws live in a Golf Course community like that and even they think is ridiculous. 

They put up a winter snow fence this summer that goes right along the end of the property.  Its super ugly and looks shoddy but I never had the heart to complain.  She was out fixing it on Sunday and she looked really tempted to try to move my mower.  She kept eying it as she mended her fence.  The Winter  fence the put up is on un-developed land that they do not own. I am lucky as I have no backdoor neighbors just acres up grassland.  (prairie type grass)   I guess they are entitled to use that land also. 

So hopefully when the fence is done this will be all done as she will not be able to see anything anymore.  Until my son forms a 4 year old hardcore band and has raging parties!

2012-01-30 4:23 PM

User image

Regular

Latest Update....

I was the lucky recipient of a Notice of Ordinance Violation.

Miscellaneous Debris under Camper. 

So I went down to the city office and had a great chat with the ordinance officer.  He was super cool and he understands my Situation .  He said that he had to write something and send me the paper.  The main problem was that I had my 4 wheeler ramp and my deep cycle stored under my pickup camper.  He inquired to what kind of neighbors these people were.  He guessed that the were a little hard to deal with.  I agreed and he said he would go to bat for me and be the "filter" to her calls.  We had a great chat about hunting and guns and I think I found a new friend... Weird how that happens.  He said that everything else looked great and I was more than welcome to park my mower and bikes wherever I wanted. He made a comment on how easy going I was and how he would like to have me for a neighbor.  At first he said there was not a complaint but he was just following up on something else.  By the end of our chat he disclosed that he has had many calls from her for many many things, not all of them for me!

He than said I needed to go talk to his buddy in code enforcement.  I went and chatted with him and showed some pictures of the fence and shed.  He said that the shed would need to be moved as it needs to bee 8ft6" from the edge of the property. The tree can be cut grass to sky on the property line.   I did not know the setback requirement on the shed.   He said he would be more than happy to fill out and deliver the code violation.  He than asked if I wanted them to file a complaint about the fence.  I can asked for it to be moved and the city will back my request. I did not fill anything out as of now.  I still want to be a good neighbor.  I can build a shed that is 10ft tall, 120 sq ft, and any color I desire. 

It was about the best trip I have had to city hall.  I guess it pays to be nice and calm. 

Dan

2012-01-30 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4019360

Chuckhead - 2012-01-30 4:23 PM

Latest Update....

So I went down to the city office and had a great chat with the ordinance officer.  He was super cool and he understands my Situation .  He said that he had to write something and send me the paper.  The main problem was that I had my 4 wheeler ramp and my deep cycle stored under my pickup camper.  He inquired to what kind of neighbors these people were.  He guessed that the were a little hard to deal with.  I agreed and he said he would go to bat for me and be the "filter" to her calls.  We had a great chat about hunting and guns and I think I found a new friend... Weird how that happens.  He said that everything else looked great and I was more than welcome to park my mower and bikes wherever I wanted. He made a comment on how easy going I was and how he would like to have me for a neighbor.  At first he said there was not a complaint but he was just following up on something else.  By the end of our chat he disclosed that he has had many calls from her for many many things, not all of them for me!

He than said I needed to go talk to his buddy in code enforcement.  I went and chatted with him and showed some pictures of the fence and shed.  He said that the shed would need to be moved as it needs to bee 8ft6" from the edge of the property. The tree can be cut grass to sky on the property line.   I did not know the setback requirement on the shed.   He said he would be more than happy to fill out and deliver the code violation.  He than asked if I wanted them to file a complaint about the fence.  I can asked for it to be moved and the city will back my request. I did not fill anything out as of now.  I still want to be a good neighbor.  I can build a shed that is 10ft tall, 120 sq ft, and any color I desire. 

It was about the best trip I have had to city hall.  I guess it pays to be nice and calm. 

Dan

This really is a fun thread....well at least to read maybe not for the OP

2012-01-30 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Yeah, thanks for the update.
2012-01-30 5:22 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Interesting, informative, and timely for me.   On Friday, our neighbor's contractor knocked on our door to tell us that he will begin construction on the fence next week and "our part" of the bill is $XXXX.  huh?   My husband just told him that he would need to speak with his wife.    We don't need a fence on that side of our house.   We are meeting with the owner of the house in a bit to see what he has in mind.   Most likely, it will be nothing we are interested in.   It will affect our driveway visual safety issues.   I am fairly certian that they have done a tone of work without pulling building permits.   I am going to ask for the surveyors information as well as their building permit.

2012-01-30 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4019479

Master
Charlotte, NC
bootygirl - 2012-01-30 6:22 PM

Interesting, informative, and timely for me.   On Friday, our neighbor's contractor knocked on our door to tell us that he will begin construction on the fence next week and "our part" of the bill is $XXXX.  huh?   My husband just told him that he would need to speak with his wife.    We don't need a fence on that side of our house.   We are meeting with the owner of the house in a bit to see what he has in mind.   Most likely, it will be nothing we are interested in.   It will affect our driveway visual safety issues.   I am fairly certian that they have done a tone of work without pulling building permits.   I am going to ask for the surveyors information as well as their building permit.

I have never understood if someone wants to build a fence how they think their neighbor is responsible for part of the payment.  I had never heard that until a previous thread here in COJ.  I think it is odd that someone would think their purchase, it partly my responsibility.

2012-01-30 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4019504

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
tricrazy - 2012-01-30 5:43 PM

I have never understood if someone wants to build a fence how they think their neighbor is responsible for part of the payment.  I had never heard that until a previous thread here in COJ.  I think it is odd that someone would think their purchase, it partly my responsibility.

Ditto. I've heard of neighbors who BOTH wanted a fence working out an agreement that was financially beneficial to all parties, but don't understand the "you owe $$ for my fence" mentality. 

2012-01-30 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4019532

User image

Elite
Reno
lisac957 - 2012-01-30 6:01 PM

Ditto. I've heard of neighbors who BOTH wanted a fence working out an agreement that was financially beneficial to all parties, but don't understand the "you owe $$ for my fence" mentality. 

I called the city and the planning guy laughed, saying that they can put a fence up up to the property line, but it is on their dollar, with no obligation on our part.  He reiterated that they would need a permit.

We met with the owner and he is fine the way things are, so no fence is coing on our side untiil we do our back fence and fix the small gate on his side.    We think his contractor is trying to talk him into more work-more $.   And it is the contractor who thought they could ask us for $. 

2012-01-30 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4019594

User image

Bronze member
bootygirl - 2012-01-30 6:43 PM
lisac957 - 2012-01-30 6:01 PM

I called the city and the planning guy laughed, saying that they can put a fence up up to the property line, but it is on their dollar, with no obligation on our part.  He reiterated that they would need a permit.

We met with the owner and he is fine the way things are, so no fence is coing on our side untiil we do our back fence and fix the small gate on his side.    We think his contractor is trying to talk him into more work-more $.   And it is the contractor who thought they could ask us for $

What a snake!

2012-01-30 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4019360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chuckhead - 2012-01-30 2:23 PM

Latest Update....

Dan

I love this! let us know what happens with their shed issue. I would love to hear that they had to move it for not following proper code and if it is that close they probably never even looked at the codes...

2012-07-31 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4019861

Bump to the top...what ever happened?

2012-08-02 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4339737

User image

Regular

Well it has been a quiet summer.  The neighbor has actually asked if she could come on our side and trim some grass.  I am over it for now and I am sure she was informed by the city of her current violations.  So as for now all is quiet on the western front.

Dan

2012-08-03 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I have a great book for you to read.....don't sweat the small stuff ~ 

its a great book and has helped me to realize much of what I worry about is SUPER small trivial stuff...like bikes getting moved! haha

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighbor Fence Questions Rss Feed  

of 5