General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: #417001

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: GI issues
I use GU and Hammer Gel products - I typicaly wash it down with water - but I also use Gatorade in conjuction with it while I ride - I have not had any issues.

My first thought is that you either had a little virus and were not aware of it yet and the exercise enhanced the symptoms........... or it had something to do with your lack of fluid intake on the run and the milk. Since most of the other variables are not new this is probably the first thing to look at. Even though it's not hot you still need to intake fluids especially since you had already rode for more than 2.5 hours..... I would maybe try a similar workout - leave the milk out and try to keep fluids in you during the run and see if that helps ~ if you still have issues then you will have to look a little deeper.

Hope your feeling better now.

2006-05-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: #417001

User image

One suggestion I have is to finish your water about 15 to 20 minutes before the end of your ride. I would also take a bottle of water on the run, an hour run with no water is not a good idea in my opinion. Drinking a lot in the transition area isn't as good of an idea as drinking it sometime after the start of your run.

On my long rides I use cliff shots water and a very strong concentration of gatorade. I try to drink some water before the gu and right after and drink the gatorade in between the nutrition, I've not had any problem with that.

I agree with the others about eating immediately before a workout, especially something carby like a bagel.

Good luck!

2006-05-09 8:33 PM
in reply to: #417858

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
dgunthert - 2006-05-08 4:07 PM
huskyboy - 2006-05-08 7:52 AM
immyfish - 2006-05-07 8:53 PM

huskyboy - 2006-05-07 8:37 PM I've had problems before with GU plus gatorade (got pretty nauseous during a race).  I know that hammergel warns about mixing their products with simple sugar products like gatorade, so I'm assuming that you could get the same problem with GU.

Hmmm. So GU with water only?  So what's OK with Gatorade?  Hmmm...

You should not use any gel or powdered carboydrate product with sports drink....only with water. Sports drink and gels cause a plug in the GI and prevent the stomach from emptying thus causing GI distress. It's ok to mix them during a workout, just don't wash the gel or carb product with the sports drink.

I go with gel and water most of the time. At Timberman last year I had GU and HEED during the run, which seemed to work fine for me. Problem is that most races have gatorade.

Not to hijack this, but I've been wondering about this. Looking at Hammer's site, the only real explanation for their admonition not to mix complex and simple sugar that I could parse from their article is that they assume you'll get the concentration wrong. I can't see why you can't combine them if you pay attention.

Edited by Rocket Man 2006-05-09 8:35 PM
2006-05-09 9:21 PM
in reply to: #418461

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

DeannaS - 2006-05-09 8:12 AM I'm lactose intolerant. Your reaction (no straying from the bathroom) definitely sounds familiar. If you decide to try to reduce the dairy component in your diet, there are a few things you can try. Goat milk products (milk, chevre, etc) are often more easily digested than cow. (For me, I can eat them, in limited quantities.) Also, I fine rice milk much more palatable than soy. I really hate soy milk, not to mention the fact that I have some issues with soy digestion as well. My lactose intolerance has gotten progressively worse over the years. It used to be I could eat some pizza if I didn't have any other dairy that day. Or, I could indulge in some ice cream occasionally. Not anymore. And, it seems the more exercising I do, the less my body wants to deal with dairy. Good luck - do some experimenting. Note that it takes at least a few days for your body to really register a major change in diet like elimating dairy foods - so try cutting them out for a few days and see if you notice a major difference in how you feel.

I love this place!  Thanks for the reply!  Interesting correlation between more exercise - less lactose tolerance... I wonder if that's common?  Mabe I should start up the nutrition log - just to monitor my reactions... Excellent!....

Gotta get some sleep now....

2006-05-09 10:25 PM
in reply to: #417318

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
hangloose - 2006-05-08 6:21 AM

Not trying to freak you out or be over-reactive, but last spring I had similar issues.  Except my "reactions" were more like intense attacks of pain in the solar plexus area.  Anyway, they led me to see a GI doctor and by Sept. I was tested for and diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Gluten intolerance.  I'm not saying I think you have that, but my point is that if you are concerned you should see a doctor because there is lots of stuff it could be that you don't even know about.

If I can chime in for the intolerant crowd...was it cyclic stomach pain?  Was it in your STOMACH?  Or confined to the intestines?  I've had gads of issues for a year now and still working on diagnosing it.  I ask about the nature of the cramping because when my stomach acts up (once every couple of months) I end up with a 4-6 hour stomach ache...sometimes accompanied by "bed---bathroom---bathroom---bed" and once not accompanied by the bathroom need but still by the same stomach ache.  Anyway...just curious what the stomach felt like.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues Rss Feed  

of 2