General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spousal Support Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-14 10:16 AM

Subject: Spousal Support

My first post here, but I've lurked for awhile....I was hoping for some perspective on spousal support of your Ironman "habit".  I am registered for Florida Ironman as my first.  I am what I would consider a "casual" athlete.  I have done two marathons, many half marathons, and 4 tri's including a half ironman this past summer.  I also have 3 kids (ages 10,12,14), and work full time.  My husband is "less than thrilled" with the Ironman goal.  He tolerates it, but mostly rolls his eyes when others tell me how cool it is to have this goal and complains about the training.  The kicker for me was last night when we were with another couple and he said he'd rather I just went to the race with friends and he and the kids stayed home. 

I can't imagine him having a goal this big and me not wanting to be there to see him accomplish it.  His perspective is that he supports me all through the various training (and this will be the biggest training program ever/ most time away from the family) (while rolling his eyes), I'll be either preparing for, participating in, or recovering from the race so I won't be in "family vacation mode", and it'll all be "on him" to take care/ entertain the kids while we're there, and that these events are fairly "boring".  I grew up going to my dad's running races, was inspired by them, and loved the environment.  Having my kids there to see me accomplish a goal I've worked so hard for is very important to me.  Maybe if it was my second Ironman I wouldn't care, but it's not, it's my first.

So my question...do you all feel supported by your spouses?  Do you recommend they come to the event or is it easier to have them at home so you can do your thing?  Do your spouses resent the training and time away?  Do you resent it if they aren't more supportive?

Perspective from you all or opinions of your spouse/ significant other are appreciated. 

2012-01-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3990105

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Spousal Support

First off, best of luck with your training!

My longest race was a HIM which I did last summer. I am a stay at home and both my kids were home with me all day. My husband works long hours and knows I need some time to myself. Yes, he was very supportive. He bought my tri bike for me. He took care of the kids while I trained. He has a background in endurance sports so he gets the whole idea of training hard to accomplish a goal.

I have participated in triathlon for 3 years and completed 12 races. My first year of racing my husband and kids came to every race. After that I told them not to worry about. It really is boring for them and the truth is I am not racing for them. I am racing for me. My kids are 3 & 5 now. I told my family flat out not to even worry about coming to the HIM. It was held in a town near me so they came anyway but just popped in and out. That said, I think we all knew that I was not going to be doing this again anytime soon.

Could part of the issue with your husband be that he does not see a light at the end of the tunnel? I mean you have already suggested there might be a second IM.

It sounds like you are both harboring some resentment. Have you sat down and talked to him about what part of the training is bothering him? Is it that he feels stuck at home with the kids or that he misses you being around or the expense etc? Have you gone over your training schedule with him so he knows what to expect? Maybe he would feel better if he just had one night set aside for time alone with you? I don't really know, just trying to offer some suggestions.

2012-01-14 11:04 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-14 11:16 AM

My husband supported me. We have no children. I trained for the most part when either he was sleeping or working. I also work full time so it was hard at times but I did it. Long rides on Saturday when he was working. Long runs on Sunday before he would get it. As for going to the race Beach2Battleship I went down on Wed. night after work. He came down on Friday night after he finished working. The race was on Saturday. He slept late on Saturday then met up with my parents and nephew and saw me on the run four times then ran with me the last three miles. Would not have wanted him with me the two days before the race as I was busy with all the prerace things. He would just have gotten in the way and would have been bored out of his mind. We then flew home toghter Sunday afternoon. Just one disclaimer ----- He was pride of what I was doing. He told more people that I was training of an ironman distance race then I did. He also told more people once I finished then I did.I am very lucky to have such a wonderful husband.
2012-01-14 11:54 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
My wife is incredibly supportive. She likes coming to my events, but recognizes that I'm not very sociable until after the finish, because I'm in what she calls "race mode". I'm focused on preparation and visualizing every detail repeatedly. The longer the race, the longer I'm like this ahead of time. For my first IM(also IMFL), she knew I'd be in my own head space for a few days ahead, and felt she'd be a distraction. Even though I'd have loved for her to be at the finish to share the experience, it actually was kind of nice that I didn't have to be concerned whether she was having a good time, and I could give the race 100%. This sport is very demanding, and it can be even tougher if you feel unsupported. My suggestion is that you spend more time discussing it with him, so he understands how important it is to you, you understand better how it affects him and your children, and you both get on the same page about how it fits into your life.
2012-01-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3990180

trigal38 - 2012-01-14 12:03 PM

First off, best of luck with your training!

My longest race was a HIM which I did last summer. I am a stay at home and both my kids were home with me all day. My husband works long hours and knows I need some time to myself. Yes, he was very supportive. He bought my tri bike for me. He took care of the kids while I trained. He has a background in endurance sports so he gets the whole idea of training hard to accomplish a goal.

I have participated in triathlon for 3 years and completed 12 races. My first year of racing my husband and kids came to every race. After that I told them not to worry about. It really is boring for them and the truth is I am not racing for them. I am racing for me. My kids are 3 & 5 now. I told my family flat out not to even worry about coming to the HIM. It was held in a town near me so they came anyway but just popped in and out. That said, I think we all knew that I was not going to be doing this again anytime soon.

He's come to very few of my races b/c I get that that it's mostly boring for him.  He came to my first half marathon, first marathon, and one tri, maybe a couple other half marathons along the way.  He hasn't been to an event in years.  I didn't care at all that he wasn't at the half ironman this summer...this just seems "bigger".

Could part of the issue with your husband be that he does not see a light at the end of the tunnel? I mean you have already suggested there might be a second IM.

It sounds like you are both harboring some resentment. Have you sat down and talked to him about what part of the training is bothering him? Is it that he feels stuck at home with the kids or that he misses you being around or the expense etc? Have you gone over your training schedule with him so he knows what to expect? Maybe he would feel better if he just had one night set aside for time alone with you? I don't really know, just trying to offer some suggestions.

I talked to him before registering, he seemed fine with it, not thrilled, but fine.  I haven't specifically gone over the training schedule BUT, I do 90% of my training either during the week before work or early in the AM on Sat and Sun so I'm back by noon for the family.  Maybe he's thinking this summer will be double what the half training was.  Good thought to go over it with him.

He may not see a light at the end of the tunnel...he is not into endurance events and for sure does not see the appeal.  He goes to the gym regularly to maintain fitness, but no goals beyond that.  I am definitely more goal oriented- he did say something about that when we talked, referencing when I got an MBA too. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Edited by ironwannabegirl 2012-01-14 11:59 AM

2012-01-14 12:08 PM

Thanks all who have replied- Agree we need to sit down and talk it through some more.  I guess what bugged me the most was him coming just because I wanted him there, not because HE wanted to be there or wanted the kids to see it.

Like I said above- I don't ask him nor truly really care if he is at most events, this just seems like a bigger deal.

As for 'sharing the load', I really feel like I do my part...he travels for work, my job is more flexible, I do most of my training when it doesn't affect him, I support his desire to get in a workout as well (one of the reasons I work out in the AM before work is so he can have the after work time), etc. 

Maybe we can work it out so I can be there ahead of time without him and he and the kids can join me for race day/ afterwards. 

Really appreciate everyone's input.

2012-01-14 12:26 PM

Expert
Salem

I have almost the same story as you the differences are that I have one son and I am a male.  My wife supports me, when she is in the mood, so I pick the times to bring races forward during those times when she is motivated and interested.  I'd like her to be at races, but when she is at them I tend to worry a lot about what they are doing, are they bored and the time commitment to watch and keep my son entertained rather than just sitting around.  I will be doing my first IM Distance in 2013 for my 50th B-Day.  She is supportive of me doing it, but I don't think she realizes the time commitment for my training that will be needed.  I also invite some of her and our friends to come along as well.  They like coming to the events and enjoy traveling as well.  I also feel better knowing my wife and son are with others during the race and it keeps them company.

In some ways I'd rather not have her at the race so she is not just sitting around waiting and being bored.  I think what  I may do is have her follow me with GPS from home while I do my IM.  This way my son can follow me as well.  The other option we are looking into is pulling a trailer to camp in or get a cabin by the race venue so they can hang out there and have things to do while I am racing.

2012-01-14 1:59 PM

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I Had a wonderful husband that supported me all the way. Not only did he support me but did a lot of the long runs and long bike rides with me and my training partner. I have always had them at my races. My kids are 19 and15. They both were very inspired after I finished IMFL in November. Finishing would not have been as sweet without them.I don't think that I would have been able to get throughout all the training if I didn't have them encouraging me and also allowing me the long training times on the weekends thru the summer. I hope that you get the support you need! Best of luck!!
2012-01-14 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3990274

TriGuyBri - 2012-01-14 1:26 PM

I have almost the same story as you the differences are that I have one son and I am a male.  My wife supports me, when she is in the mood, so I pick the times to bring races forward during those times when she is motivated and interested.  I'd like her to be at races, but when she is at them I tend to worry a lot about what they are doing, are they bored and the time commitment to watch and keep my son entertained rather than just sitting around.  I will be doing my first IM Distance in 2013 for my 50th B-Day.  She is supportive of me doing it, but I don't think she realizes the time commitment for my training that will be needed.  I also invite some of her and our friends to come along as well.  They like coming to the events and enjoy traveling as well.  I also feel better knowing my wife and son are with others during the race and it keeps them company.

In some ways I'd rather not have her at the race so she is not just sitting around waiting and being bored.  I think what  I may do is have her follow me with GPS from home while I do my IM.  This way my son can follow me as well.  The other option we are looking into is pulling a trailer to camp in or get a cabin by the race venue so they can hang out there and have things to do while I am racing.

Laughing about you approaching her when she is intersted.  I admit I bring it up when he seems to be in a good mood and will support it. 

2012-01-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3990347

sk2a2005 - 2012-01-14 2:59 PM I Had a wonderful husband that supported me all the way. Not only did he support me but did a lot of the long runs and long bike rides with me and my training partner. I have always had them at my races. My kids are 19 and15. They both were very inspired after I finished IMFL in November. Finishing would not have been as sweet without them.I don't think that I would have been able to get throughout all the training if I didn't have them encouraging me and also allowing me the long training times on the weekends thru the summer. I hope that you get the support you need! Best of luck!!

Congratulations on your IM!  That's awesome that he is so supportive.  My husband definitely has no interest in long runs or long rides, not that that is a requirement, but would be nice.  He really does not complain about the training....I just wanted him to want to be there.  I guess maybe that's too much to ask.  I'm hoping my kids are inspired as well!

2012-01-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3990254

Champion
Dallas, TX
ironwannabegirl - 2012-01-14 12:08 PM

Thanks all who have replied- Agree we need to sit down and talk it through some more.  I guess what bugged me the most was him coming just because I wanted him there, not because HE wanted to be there or wanted the kids to see it.

Like I said above- I don't ask him nor truly really care if he is at most events, this just seems like a bigger deal.

As for 'sharing the load', I really feel like I do my part...he travels for work, my job is more flexible, I do most of my training when it doesn't affect him, I support his desire to get in a workout as well (one of the reasons I work out in the AM before work is so he can have the after work time), etc. 

Maybe we can work it out so I can be there ahead of time without him and he and the kids can join me for race day/ afterwards. 

Let me ask you this... have you ever done anything outside of the house that took up a lot of your time, attention, and passion? Have you had any interests, other than tri's, that took all of that, and cost as much... that he wasn't involved in? Or is the the first one?

While you WANT him to CARE about your Ironman... he doesn't. He doesn't get it. You sitting down and and having a talk with him probably won't change that. Do you think it will?

Do you have family who will bring the kids and take care of them for you while you are racing? Yes, it is worthwhile to have the kids there. And your husband said he'll go... but he's not into it. And you know what, everything he said about spectating for a tri is TRUE. Ha! But yes, if you really want to support someone you suck it up and don't complain.

I just have to wonder, has he been selfish in just this ONE instance... or has he been selfish all this time... but you didn't have anything to take attention away from him for it to show like it is now? He's possibly being the man you married... he has changed... but you are. And you are expecting him to support you in those changes... and he's just being... who he is.

Is this a battle worth fighting? Ask yourself that.

Anyways... I don't know you... I don't know him. I could way off base and talking crazy talk.

Good luck with your IM and the training! Maybe find some IM friends you can talk to, and get support from?

2012-01-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3990606

KSH - 2012-01-14 7:28 PM
ironwannabegirl - 2012-01-14 12:08 PM

Let me ask you this... have you ever done anything outside of the house that took up a lot of your time, attention, and passion? Have you had any interests, other than tri's, that took all of that, and cost as much... that he wasn't involved in? Or is the the first one? While you WANT him to CARE about your Ironman... he doesn't. He doesn't get it. You sitting down and and having a talk with him probably won't change that. Do you think it will? Do you have family who will bring the kids and take care of them for you while you are racing? Yes, it is worthwhile to have the kids there. And your husband said he'll go... but he's not into it. And you know what, everything he said about spectating for a tri is TRUE. Ha! But yes, if you really want to support someone you suck it up and don't complain. I just have to wonder, has he been selfish in just this ONE instance... or has he been selfish all this time... but you didn't have anything to take attention away from him for it to show like it is now? He's possibly being the man you married... he has changed... but you are. And you are expecting him to support you in those changes... and he's just being... who he is. Is this a battle worth fighting? Ask yourself that. Anyways... I don't know you... I don't know him. I could way off base and talking crazy talk. Good luck with your IM and the training! Maybe find some IM friends you can talk to, and get support from?

I don't necessarily think I can convince him to be excited about it but I hope I can explain to him how important it is to me and that I could use his support without eye rolling.  I have ALWAYS had more outside interests than him, whether socially or some physical event like the marathons or tri's.  This is for sure the biggest, but again, I certainly carry my 'load' at home (essentially a single mom about 50% of the time b/c of his work travel.  As for expense, he cannot complain, we are not millionaires, but I do pretty well and actually make a few thousand per year more than him.  Our combined income makes spending money on tri's not really an issue (not saying that to be obnoxious, but I don't think the expense could be causing resentment).

I have changed since we got married (I was 23, hard not to change when you marry that young).  He has many great attributes (great with the kids, very supportive of 'home' tasks like laundry/ grocery shopping/ etc), but he is not a "goal setter" and doesn't get that at all.  I'm not asking him to become one, but I do know that if he were (and it wouldn't have to be fitness goals or something that I am into) I would REALLY HOPE that I would want to share in his goal and be there to see him succeed.  Maybe that's too much to ask and I'm being too sensitive and I should just be happy that he "doesn't " complain too much about it even though he's not "excited".

I'm also struggling to understand what's so bad about a beach vacation with 11,13, and 15 year olds.  I'd take the kids alone on that vacay in a heart beat.  They are easy kids and we're on a beach...I just don't get what the big deal is or why anyone would complain about being "forced" to hang with your (older/ not needy) kids on a beach for a week while watching your wife/ their mom accomplish something huge???

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by ironwannabegirl 2012-01-14 7:25 PM
2012-01-14 8:03 PM

Master
Bronze member

I hesitate to say too much- as every person/relationship/situation is different..I guess I can only offer a few comments as to my experience..For most of my adult life Iwas a casual exerciser..gym, a little running, varied interests but fairly active..had seen a local tri way back & had always wanted to do one..in 2004 I committed -(knowing nothing!) to do my 1st one that summer.-I sat my kids (11 & 16) & him down & said i wanted to do this& would be looking for their support/understanding .My kids were excited. My husband was concerned about 'time away from home & family"..he worked-a LOT. I worked -a LOT, both at his business & my job, and he was not involved in house/school /community stuff......He didn't see it as a family thing.

After that 1st season- 2 sprints only- I was hooked. He came to my 1st. He & the kids came to my 2nd. 

After that, he made it so uncomfortable when he did decide to come..I didn't want him to. Eye rolling. Impatience. Jealousy.

We separated in 2006, divorced in 2008. My kids came to watch their mom finish Ironman Arizona Nov 2011.They were very very proud....

I am now in a relationship with a kind & patient man who sometimes actually embarasses me with his pride & support..who gets the commitment .He shares many of the same passions & interests outside of triathlon...and has some of his own. He  is supportive of my work, my kids, my other interests..as well as triathlon. I was there for his first Ironman in July  ( would not have missed it for anything!)and he was there for mine in November.. my biggest fan & sherpa.

I wish you all the best in your Ironman quest- and in balancing self/relationship/home..and dreams.

Edited by isis 2012-01-14 8:05 PM
2012-01-14 8:37 PM

New user
Gallatin, TN
2 cents worth - He is supporting you already, just not in the way that you want. A type personalities can't / don't sit still (read almost everyone who does endurance events!). Not everyone is an A type personality.

As for your kids, they will be inspired or not. You cannot make them be inspired. My guess is that they will be more likely to be inspired by how gracefully you handle your relationship, rather than whether or not you complete an ironman.

I am signed up for IMFL this year (my first) and have discussed it with my wife. I am ok with her coming or not, and I am ok with our 10 yo daughter wanting to do tri's or not.

See you at the race!
2012-01-14 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3990720

isis- thank you for your post.  I appreciate your honesty and perspective and am glad you didn't hesitate to post your reply.  I agree all relationships are different, but I also admit I wish mine was a little more like yours.  It must be awesome to share passions and feel such support. 

2012-01-14 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3990762

bill2059 - 2012-01-14 9:37 PM 2 cents worth - He is supporting you already, just not in the way that you want. A type personalities can't / don't sit still (read almost everyone who does endurance events!). Not everyone is an A type personality. As for your kids, they will be inspired or not. You cannot make them be inspired. My guess is that they will be more likely to be inspired by how gracefully you handle your relationship, rather than whether or not you complete an ironman. I am signed up for IMFL this year (my first) and have discussed it with my wife. I am ok with her coming or not, and I am ok with our 10 yo daughter wanting to do tri's or not. See you at the race!

Good perspective too! I truly don't mean to sound whiny if I do.  I'm WAY more Type A and he for sure is not....probably why I get the eye rolling.   It's hard for me to understand why he's ok just going through life while I have this whole list of things I want to accomplish/ do/ see, etc.  Guess I need to work on respecting our differences and appreciating that while he doesn't get it, he's still trying to be supportive in his way.

2012-01-15 4:54 AM
in reply to: #3990775

Elite
Roswell, GA

ironwannabegirl - 2012-01-14 9:49 PM   Guess I need to work on respecting our differences and appreciating that while he doesn't get it, he's still trying to be supportive in his way.

This is the key.

He also needs to respect the differences, and celebrate them.

Good luck!

Edited by brown_dog_us 2012-01-15 4:55 AM
2012-01-15 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3990720

Champion
Dallas, TX
isis - 2012-01-14 8:03 PM

I hesitate to say too much- as every person/relationship/situation is different..I guess I can only offer a few comments as to my experience..For most of my adult life Iwas a casual exerciser..gym, a little running, varied interests but fairly active..had seen a local tri way back & had always wanted to do one..in 2004 I committed -(knowing nothing!) to do my 1st one that summer.-I sat my kids (11 & 16) & him down & said i wanted to do this& would be looking for their support/understanding .My kids were excited. My husband was concerned about 'time away from home & family"..he worked-a LOT. I worked -a LOT, both at his business & my job, and he was not involved in house/school /community stuff......He didn't see it as a family thing.

After that 1st season- 2 sprints only- I was hooked. He came to my 1st. He & the kids came to my 2nd. 

After that, he made it so uncomfortable when he did decide to come..I didn't want him to. Eye rolling. Impatience. Jealousy.

We separated in 2006, divorced in 2008. My kids came to watch their mom finish Ironman Arizona Nov 2011.They were very very proud....

I am now in a relationship with a kind & patient man who sometimes actually embarasses me with his pride & support..who gets the commitment .He shares many of the same passions & interests outside of triathlon...and has some of his own. He  is supportive of my work, my kids, my other interests..as well as triathlon. I was there for his first Ironman in July  ( would not have missed it for anything!)and he was there for mine in November.. my biggest fan & sherpa.

I wish you all the best in your Ironman quest- and in balancing self/relationship/home..and dreams.

I had someone tell me once that doing an Ironman can lead to divorce! Not that yours did, but it seems like it uncovers issues that weren't there before.

Whether their IM training and racing did it or not... I know two ladies who got divorced in the last 5 years, and another who left her long time boyfriend.

Oddly enough, all three of those ladies were with men who didn't participate, or support (one of those guys supported his wife), or understand their love of triathlon. *Shrug*?

Edited by KSH 2012-01-15 8:35 AM
2012-01-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3991121

KSH- I actually had someone tell me that last summer when I was training for the half- that there is a lot of divorce amongst people who train/ do Ironmans.

Appreciate everyone's reply's/ comments here...talked to my husband last night.  I think he understands a little bit more why I want him and the kids there...he had not really thought it was much more than anything else I'd done as far as wanting them there before we talked.  My training partner and I are going to go down without the family on Wed, then families will arrive Friday night, be there for the race, and then we'll stay for a few days for a beach vacation.  Hopefully that'll meet everyone's needs.

2012-01-15 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3991141

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
ironwannabegirl - 2012-01-15 9:55 AM

KSH- I actually had someone tell me that last summer when I was training for the half- that there is a lot of divorce amongst people who train/ do Ironmans.

Appreciate everyone's reply's/ comments here...talked to my husband last night.  I think he understands a little bit more why I want him and the kids there...he had not really thought it was much more than anything else I'd done as far as wanting them there before we talked.  My training partner and I are going to go down without the family on Wed, then families will arrive Friday night, be there for the race, and then we'll stay for a few days for a beach vacation.  Hopefully that'll meet everyone's needs.

I won't offer particular advice on the support thing...you need to work on that with your husband in your own way. I will say, though, that my wife really appreciated me thinking about ways to try to make her "job" as a supporter easier and more interesting (when I did my IM we had a 6 and 4yr old and a baby on the way...not an easy job for anyone to juggle!). For instance, we stayed on the beach so she and the kids were actually at the beach until noon on race day. I printed out a bunch of things in the area that she could do if they wanted (kids museum, etc.). She didn't actually do any of that but looking back I think it helped her feel more part of things and she felt like I wasn't just "there on my own". Maybe your hubby can go with the kids to see a movie while you are doing the bike ride. There is plenty of time for him to do that and it makes it more fun. I think it's great you and he talked about it- helps you understand his hesitation and helps him appreciate your passion. Good luck. Enjoy the journey!

2012-01-15 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3991141

Bronze member
ironwannabegirl - 2012-01-15 8:55 AM

Glad you talked and found some understanding! And thanks for updating us. I always wonder how things work out.

With a divorce rate in America close to 50% I think we can say there is just a lot of divorce no matter what you like to do! My husband in a principal. The professors in his continuing ed. classes reported high divorce rates for his profession. I think anything you do that takes you away from the family can lead to tension and build resentment if you let it.  The important thing - at least for me- is to remember that we are in this for the long haul. There will be a day when he is not a principal and I am not interested in triathlon but we will still have each other .

2012-01-16 1:50 AM
in reply to: #3992021

Expert
Northern CA
trigal38 - 2012-01-15 6:15 PM 

With a divorce rate in America close to 50% 

Actually the divorce rate in the US is around 41% but that's for all marriages. About 75% of first marriages last. The average is brought down by serial divorcers who have been in 3 or more marriages.

So those are good odds.

To answer the OP's question, my family hates coming to my races. I try to make it interesting for them but they aren't willing to meet me even half way. Luckily I belong to a big tri club so at local races there are tons of people I know and to cheer for me. It's less stressful to leave the family at home than to worry about them not having a good time while I'm trying to race.

That said, sometimes it's important to me that they be there. So sometimes I make them come. Laughing My first IM was definitely one of those occasions. But for my second one, I picked an event that had 20+ club members racing and didn't take my immediate. My mom did end up coming though. She loves stuff like this and had a great time meeting my friends, chalking the course with them, making signs, and I even got her to do the underpants run (and she's in her 70s)!

Unfortunately, she lives on the other coast from me so she doesn't get to come to many of my races. 

It would be great if my family was more onboard with cheering me on at races but it's not something I can change about them. They are pretty easy-going about the training and they are proud of me, but it's not something they enjoy witnessing and that's not going to change any time soon.

2012-01-16 6:03 AM

East Syracuse, New York
I think its completely up to your husband and kids...if they think its fun to watch a non spectator friendly event for hours in god knows what kind of weather then good for them, come along and watch. If the thought of it bores them to tears, then let them stay home. Id never ask my wife and kids to come...they know where I am if they want to be there. I feel selfish enough putting so much time into training, Id never ask them to give up a day to watch me do my thing...but thats me, and what works for my family.
2012-01-16 8:33 AM

Master
Each marriage and family will have a different levels of support. My family only comes to my IM's or important events. Some families go to every race. I don't see the need to wake the entire family up early to go and watch a sprint triathlon. But that is the arrangement that we have at our house. Now that the kids are in college my husband still only comes to major events.

It is important to me that they are there for the Ironman race. Because by the time the race gets here it is a family goal. The family's emotional and daily support is what allows for me to race on that day. They've also sacrificed and put up with a lot to get all of us to race day.

It looks like you've already come up with the perfect plan to go up early with a friend. Or I think it is perfect because that is what we have done for all of my IM's and longer races. Some families enjoy the entire pre-IM experience. Mine does not so they come on Friday.

I have an "Iron Spouse" and we sign up for the same IM's . We go up early and take care of all of the pre-IM stuff. Yes, this is an arrangement that our spouses are completely happy and comfortable with. Once my family arrives all of the boring IM stuff is done and taken care of. I always get a hotel close to the race site and a race day tracker. That way they can watch the race and also do what they want to do.

Since this is your first IM distance you may want to check out previous threads on organization and IM training. Also spend some time making plans on how you are going to balance family (1st) and training (2nd) during this time. Kathy G is an excellent resource on how to balance your family and training. In hindsight, I would have relaxed a bit more while training for my first IM and spent more time focusing on family needs. It can be done but you have to really make family a priority. Especially if your spouse is the least bit resentful of your hobby. From what I have found no matter how supportive your spouse is there will be times that they feel resentful of IM training. That is when you need to take a step back and get your priorities back in line.

**My number one organization hint- buy everyone in the house 2+ weeks worth of underwear and socks. People don't seem to complain as much about laundry when they have clean undies and socks.

Happy training! I'll be at IMFL this year too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spousal Support Rss Feed  

of 2