General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metro Park Bike Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-07 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: Metro Park Bike Question
I have a question for the Michiganders - I am all new to this and just started riding outdoors preparing for my first tri in June. The last few Sundays I have been going to Lower Huron and Willow Metro Parks and doing bricks. Finally the question... The bike trails in the metro parks - are they at all similar to a race? They have a lot of turns - areas I have to unclip etc. I get a much better workout out on the road but am still a bit scared of getting killed.

Thanks for any feedback.

2006-05-12 5:22 PM
in reply to: #417102

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Metro Park Bike Question

I don't know either willow or lower huron...but from my experience, a 'typical' tri bike course will consist of a transition area next to a lake, then the bike course will START with a climb up to a road, maybe with a turn or two, but nothing really daunting.  That usually gets you to a 'main road'.

Once on the main road, don't expect very many turns...The bulk of the ride will likely be a loop on roads, similar to (I assume) willow or huron roads.  Mostly straight, not too many sharp or slow turns.  You should never have to unclip on a ride due to the course, unless the race director alerts you to a spot (like a speedbump, etc).  Any 'unusual' spots like this will be covered during the pre-race meeting by the RD.

Again, you will have to slow, and maybe have a turn or two going into T2...it's usually a downhill, going back toward the transition area, and most races are good at putting marshalls in this area to keep you slow, alert you to pileups if there are any, and keep you from riding right into the transition area still on your bike. 

Lastly, you may want to practice riding in the road (safely, of course) and getting more comfortable with cars, as many tri courses are open, meaning limited automobile traffic is allowed on the road at the same time as you are riding.

slick - 2006-05-07 8:18 PM I have a question for the Michiganders - I am all new to this and just started riding outdoors preparing for my first tri in June. The last few Sundays I have been going to Lower Huron and Willow Metro Parks and doing bricks. Finally the question... The bike trails in the metro parks - are they at all similar to a race? They have a lot of turns - areas I have to unclip etc. I get a much better workout out on the road but am still a bit scared of getting killed. Thanks for any feedback.

2006-05-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: #417102

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: Metro Park Bike Question
Thanks for the feedback Rick - It was kind of what I thought. I need to stay on the roads for most of my training. The bike trails in these parks just have too many curves, walkers, joggers, rollar bladers, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metro Park Bike Question Rss Feed