General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sram is the sound of a chain dropping... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-15 12:38 PM

User image

Decatur, GA
Subject: sram is the sound of a chain dropping...

On Thursday I dropped the chain on my bike ... again. Yeah, it has been an ongoing problem. Today, I went to see my favorite bike mechanic for some cleanup of the mild carnage caused by the chain drop. It was a quiet day in the shop and in a low voice he told me "I'm not supposed to give my opinion on brands ..." He went on to tell me that he thinks that SRAM has a design flaw in their front derailleur and chain rings that causes A LOT of chain drop problems. He even said that on my particular bike, he repairs a lot of bent parts from chain drops and they are all outfitted with SRAM. He suggested that if I planned to continue riding SRAM that I put on a k-edge chain catcher, but warned that might not fix all the drop issues.

So now I'm really curious. How many of you guys ride SRAM and would agree with my mechanic's opinions?

2012-01-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3991363

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: sram is the sound of a chain dropping...

My wife has a Shimano 105 front derailer on her old tribike that drops chains like nobodies business.  I, and some real bike mechanics, have adjusted it, but it is always prone to dropping the chain.  I have heard from a couple folks that the 105 was originally designed for triple cranks and that is why it is drop prone. Maybe the level of SRAM you have was designed for a triple?  Just a thought.

Either way, I feel your pain.

2012-01-15 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
I have a Specialized Tarmac with SRAM.  It's a 2010 model, and the first year I had the bike it did seem to drop the chain more than my other road bike (with Shamano components).  I took the Tarmac in for a tuneup, and the problem went away.  So, not sure if what your bike guy says is true, but I would tend to be believe him as he probably sees a lot of them. 
2012-01-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3991481

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
In our house we have road & tri bikes with: all Dura Ace, All ultegra, All SRAM Red, All Shimano 105, and one with a mix of SRAM red (crank and controllers) and Force (derailleurs & brakes). When adjusted properly they all seem to shift front and rear just fine.  They do feel very different. The shimano seems to have finer control when feathering it from the shift levers with regard to the front derailleur, but the SRAM seems to need it less. I do all my own wrenching, so I only have experience with the bikes in our household. If you have no reason not to trust your LBS, then go with the chain catcher.
2012-01-16 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Milton
I got a new Specialized Transition Comp last year with SRAM components and had horrible chain dropping issues.  So bad to the point that my chain got wedged between the frame and the crank that I couldn't get it out.  I now have a chain catcher and have not had one single drop.  I'm such a fan of the chain catcher that I think I would get one regardless.  With all the money we spend on our bikes, it's a great way to make sure our ride isn't interrupted with a dropped chain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sram is the sound of a chain dropping... Rss Feed