General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 55m 27s
Overall Rank = 1097/3863
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 143/372
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, after actually getting a very good night's sleep for once. Had some power bites and some Vitamin Water to hydrate. Stretched at home for about 20 minutes to loosen up, got dressed, and headed out with Kym at the wheel to drop me off downtown. Ran into some athletes I know, including my sister-in-law (her 1st full marathon) and Dan Cadriel, and talked until the start.
Event warmup:

Stretched at home and walked around to stay warm and loose. Was at the starting corral (corral 1) about 10 minutes early, which ended up as a bummer when they announced the late start (no room to stretch, just stood around).
Run
  • 3h 55m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I really thought I had this one nailed, and that a 3:35 was in the cards. I had ramped up my run and speed training, and was confident that going out at 7:30 min/mi would be manageable this year before tapering back to 8:10-8:15. I started out at a 7:15-7:30 pace, and was going along fine for the first 7-8 miles. My hips were tighter than usual, but I worked at loosening them up as the course rolled along. My buddy Shawn caught me at mile 7 and kept going right on by, which I was proud of as I did not attempt to keep pace and blow up my plans. I felt my hamstrings starting to tweak a little bit at the half mark, then my calves joined in the fun at about mile 15. Nothing that stopped me or made me walk, but it kept me focused on my stride a bit more and took some of my energy. Walked just a bit about mile 16 and the U-turn to head back west on Indian School, then sucked it up and started running, just to catch up to Shawn at mile 17, as he was walking and looked a bit spent. I kept going and tried to work through the twinges in my legs, and planned on walking at the turn south on Arcadia. Walked a bit before then, but kept to my plan and walked about mile 20, when Shawn and the 3:40 pace group went rolling by. I had already known that I lost 3:35, as my pace had gotten way above 8:30 at mile 17-18, and now it was down to seeing whether I could hold it together to PR (3:43). I ran/walked to keep my calf cramps at bay, waiting for the 3:45 pace group to go by so I could run with them. I never saw them go by, so I pushed as much as I could, and walked up the Van Buren overpass before working to run the duration. As I entered the Rio Salado chute, I looked for my wife and youngest daughter, but never saw them, even though they were there cheering their hearts out (I need to turn off my music when I get close to the finish). I was disappointed that my plans were lost at about mile 16, but still proud of finishing another race and coming in under 4 hours.
What would you do differently?:

A few things (I think) hurt my plan a bit. I train in Brooks Adrenaline, but have some Zoot Neutral ultralights and thought they might help me at the race. Wrong. I think I should have stuck to my normal wear and trusted the stability shoes more, especially for a long race. I also forgot my salt tabs, which although the temps were cool and I was not sweating like the summer, I think my body has gotten used to the salt tabs and that might be where the cramping cam into play. Last, I trained with a run/walk strategy, at least walking through aid stations every few miles, and my pride got the better of me and I ran through most until I could run no longer. I can only guess that the lack of planned recovery took some pace out of me later in the race. All of these are conquerable factors, and I have no one to point fingers at except myself for some decisions I made. My end results were still a 9:00 pace, which I am very well known for, so all in all, it was an average result for me (and thus no long-term beating myself up is allowed).
Post race
Warm down:

Shawn was waiting for me in the finisher's chute, so I grabbed my medal, snapped a pic, got my nutrition (kudos to RnR AZ for the free Jamba Juice!!) and walked/talked with him. Met up with Kym and Devyn and Shawn's wife Keri she ran the half) and listened a bit to the B-52s. Walked around to stretch and checked the iPhone for emails on people's progress.

We stayed longer than normal as we waited to see my sister-in-law cross the finish line. She had a migraine early and some side issues, and had to stop at an aid station along the course before continuing, so she was well slower than her hopes. We had tracked her progress and when she was not coming along Rio, I walked (also to stretch my legs) until I got to the bridge where I saw her making the turn. I ran along side her, trying to keep her spirits high, and she was disappointed but in great spirits for finishing. I peeled off before the final turn so she could experience the first-marathon finish in all its glory. We talked for a short bit, then headed home, got some pizza, donned the compression pants and foam roller, and watched the NFL playoffs with Shawn and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am no expert, so my assessments are probably a waste of time, but thinking back I come up with a few things:
1. Wearing the Zoot Neutrals for a long race instead of sticking to my stability shoes probably wore my feet and legs a bit more than planned.
2. Forgetting my salt tabs could have played a role in my leg cramps.
3. Not following my run/walk strategy and running far too long without recovery (that I trained so hard to follow and worked well).
4. Getting mad at myself when I realized I lost my PR goal - until I came to my senses.
5. Not stretching right before the start - my hips were tighter than expected.
6. Too high a HR - not sure exactly why it happened, but it could have played a role.

Event comments:

Only complaint - start on time! I know traffic in Tempe got bad, but athletes need to be prepared for that and leave earlier. Yes, if it means you are at the start 30 minutes earlier than you want, tough beans. I only hope the race director makes a point to tell people that they need to be parked no later than 2hrs before the race start.

That being said - I liked the fact that they had the extra "early" Gu station at mile 7-8. In years past they have not done this, and it was more than welcomed (I carry enough but it replenishes what I use). Also, the Jamba Juice at the finish was awesome and very much appreciated.

Thanks to to all the volunteers, cheering squads, bands and spectators that make this a great race year-in and year-out. The new course had different challenges, and it will be fun to get used to it as well as I was used to the previous route.

Last updated: 2011-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
03:55:27 | 26.2 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 143/372
Overall: 372/3863
Performance: Average
HR was way too high, even for the start of a race. I was consistently at 173-176 early on, which is about 15BPM higher than I planned.
Course: Started at Cityscape in downtown Phoenix, then north and east to Scottsdale, then south to Tempe (ASU) and the finish line. Uphill most of the first half, then a gradual downhill going south. Two inclines at miles 23 and 25 (Van Buren overpass and Tempe Town Lake bridge).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-01-16 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

2012-01-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3992886

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

Well, marathons are always journeys, and you learned a bit on this one.  Seems to me that you went out too fast.  I'm not familiar with a marathon pace plan that has you going out 45s/mi faster than your intended average pace.  Reading your race report from last year- you learned the same thing.  You need a jockey to ride on your back and reign you in for the first 7 miles!

I've heard one quote (perhaps from Jeff Galloway?) that goes something like:  "for every 10sec/mi faster you run in your 1st few miles, it will cost you 30sec/mi in your last few".

Edited by morey000 2012-01-16 11:34 AM
2012-01-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3992927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
morey000 - 2012-01-16 11:30 AM

Reading your race report from last year- you learned the same thing.  You need a jockey to ride on your back and reign you in for the first 7 miles!

I just re-read my 2011 RR, and that race was almost a mirror image of this one.  Funny, because my 2010 race was a mirror image of 2011.  I smell a trend.............

Good synopsis, though, and you hit the nail on the head.  I need much more discipline, which has been a struggle for me (except in this year's IM AZ, where I was very disciplined).  Oh well, live and learn (as always).

2012-01-17 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3992886

User image

Expert

First, nice race... way to dig deep and gut it out. The points you listed at the end of your RR could be contributing factors to why you were unable to achieve your 3:30 goal.

However, I can tell you that I'm almost 100% positive that you went out way too fast.  Your heart rate was too high at the beginning of the race. You had no business running in the 7:15-7:30 range. I've looked through all your training runs and you are fully capable of running a sub 3:30.  I have no doubt that you could have ran that time if you followed a more conservative pacing strategy.

I think you can learn a lot from this race. I know that the first few miles of a marathon seem so easy and it's very hard to hold back... but believe me, you'll pay for it at the end every time if you go out too hard. Hope this helps.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed