General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do we get new triathletes involved? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-19 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3998899

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: How do we get new triathletes involved?
Because its a great idea, I started those threads up. Not sure how you all want ATL divided though. Need some help there.

2012-01-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3998909

User image

Extreme Veteran
phatknot - 2012-01-19 6:35 AMBecause its a great idea, I started those threads up. Not sure how you all want ATL divided though. Need some help there.
Also, just because there was a thread pulled down, I don't think you should try to make totw or other threads devoid of potential controversy. Thats what makes them interesting.
2012-01-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3994292

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I feel dumb for asking this but I'm going to ask...what does TOTW stand for?
2012-01-19 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3999315

User image

Master

Topic Of The Week

Glad you are back posting, Patti.

2012-01-19 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Winder, GA
Dont feel dumb patti, I have been racking my head for two weeks trying to figure it out. Embarassed
2012-01-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3999545

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Thanks Steph.  I feel like Rip Van Winkle coming out of a deep sleep. Wink

2012-01-19 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3999315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Patti678 - 2012-01-19 9:38 AMI feel dumb for asking this but I'm going to ask...what does TOTW stand for?
Ha! I was thinking thread...otw myself
2012-01-20 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4000770

User image

Veteran
Atlanta

ATLrunr - 2012-01-19 11:29 PM
Patti678 - 2012-01-19 9:38 AMI feel dumb for asking this but I'm going to ask...what does TOTW stand for?
Ha! I was thinking thread...otw myself

That works too.

I might start swimming again...maybe Monday night.  Hope to see you.

2012-01-20 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome!! Will see you if I am functioning post Hogpen trifecta
2012-01-21 10:36 AM

User image

Richmond Hill

I'm one of those lurkers. Started using BT last year to get training plans and would review the various forums for info.  I checked the Georgia forum from time to time to see what folks were saying about the various events in and around GA. I am new to triathlon so I haven't felt like I had much to add to the discussions. As far as asking questions, I felt like I could usually find out what I needed to know by reading articles from various resources, including the posts on these forums.

I also felt like much of the discussions were among a circle of folks that knew each other and I felt like I would be intruding on the discussion. It's kind of like walking up to a group of folks in a discussion, you don't want to just barge in and disrupt the conversation. I also have never been much of a poster on anything (have Facebook but only posted once on my wall and otherwise replied to a few other comments!). I recently joined a Mentor Group, so I am getting out of my comfort zone and starting to post on that forum.

Thanks to you guys that are regulars on the board for providing valuable info and also starting this thread to pull in us lurkers and newbies and make us feel welcome.

I also just signed in on the Savannah thread.

2012-01-21 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4003103

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
benttwice - 2012-01-21 11:36 AM

I also felt like much of the discussions were among a circle of folks that knew each other and I felt like I would be intruding on the discussion. It's kind of like walking up to a group of folks in a discussion, you don't want to just barge in and disrupt the conversation.

Thanks for saying that...It's exactly what Captin was getting at in the OP. Eventually that kind of private conversation-dynamic would kill the board, so drawing other folks into the mix is definitely in everyone's interest. GA-BT is one the more active state discussion groups and we need to make sure new folks join in to keep that going.

2012-01-23 3:18 PM

I can say being the Administrator/Manager of a site similar to this for Moms in the Atlanta Area, I completely understand where this question is coming from, we are constantly racking our brains to figure out how to engage the newer members and lurkers etc as our active posters are way lower than our numbers indicate.  I think one thing that helps is that we offer in person activity so if a person takes the step to come and meets someone/connects then they are much more likely to start to feel more comfortable posting.  That is the difficulty with a state-wide forum, but I do really like the idea of the 'heyI'm heading to swim at X, or doing a sat morning run at X, anyone game to join in?  I lurk quite a bit on this and the larger forums as a newbie (meaning I've done 3 Sprints in the last year, so I still consider myself a newbie)  I actually like the GA Forum and always check it when I'm checking in on BT, though I don't post a ton, I appreciate that there does seem to be an effort to have discussion and support (ie TOTW and off-season get off your duff threads etc)  I think it does often come down to the idea that the board is what you make of it, BUT some people just need that little push to make it what they need, KWIM?  Is there any PMing of newer members or members after they post an intro to do a bit of a personal 'hey, we are glad you are here, you may find this post helpful' or direct them to a TOTW post or an announcement about newbie tips or something.  I understand this takes time on the Moderator (or wahtever the word is here on BT for those who manage this forum) but it can go a long way in engaging someone.  There have been a lot of really great things expressed in this thread.  In a strange way it makes me feel good that we aren't the only support website (meaning the one for Moms that I manage) that has these conversations.  I think it says a lot about the Mods of this forum that the question was even posed, so a big thumbs up to you Cool
2012-01-24 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran

7 of 11 in my mentor group are newbies, 2 of 11 are in Georgia (both are newbies).  

It seems many of the topics discussed in the mentored threads have been covered many times before in other threads, but the fact that we review individual cases and customize the advice and encouragement makes it personal.

Just an idea, how about next year, or whenever is the next new mentoring sign-up cycle, we register "Georgia Newbies Team", and "Georgia Faster Sprint Triathletes Team", and "Georgia HIM First Timers", and "Georgia Full IM Team", or some such?  

With some planning we could have two of our veteran Georgia triathletes to co-captain on each of these mentoring teams.  This would be a way to give back, to encourage newbies, and to then turn on new triathletes in Georgia to our Georgia board.

Is it possible for the BT Administration to blast a PM to all registered BT users who's IP addresses are from Georgia advising them of the existence of the Georgia board?  (I didn't know about it for the first several months I was reading BT)  

Finally, to promote the Georgia board we could all add a note to our automatic signature, something like... "Connect with local triathletes at our Georgia board!" (maybe embed a link).  Then as we post on the more general boards people might learn of our Georgia board.

My $0.06.

2012-01-24 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am totally new to BT and I guess you can say to the triathlons as this is my 3rd year.  Part of the reason why I haven't commented yet is that I am overwhelmed with all the boards.  Trying to figure out which ones I should look at, etc.  IF I had all the time in the world I could spend hours reading all the boards and commenting, etc, but I don't so I pick and chose topics.  

I like ATLrunr idea about Race roll calls to see who is racing a particular race.  I also like setting up a thread for different parts of the state.  It is always amazing to realize that you were not the only person from your town that ran a race but you had no clue there where there (I always look at the results and see who from my town also participated and there are always several for such a small town).  Or you didn't know others in your town were training for an HIM and it would be nice if we could get together and train.

2012-01-26 5:51 AM

User image

Regular
Winder, GA

How do we get new triathletes involved?

When the Captn send you an inspire and tells you to run John Tanner in April.. You do it!!

2012-01-26 3:48 PM

I really like the idea of the mentor groups being GA focused, great idea!  Then, newbies are connecting with other newbies a bit more locally that they may see at races or even be able to meet up to train a bit if they are close enough.  Good suggestion!  I also think the race roll call is a great idea, too!

2012-01-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4011598

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
sbnut32 - 2012-01-26 6:51 AM

How do we get new triathletes involved?

When the Captn send you an inspire and tells you to run John Tanner in April.. You do it!!

LOL...boy, that sounds like a lot of pressure...

2012-01-27 3:42 PM

New user

I guess I am a lurker...  sort of.  I interact somewhat in the Beach2Battleship group.  I agree with some of the previous posts.  As a newer triathlete it is a little intimidating.  You feel a little bit like you might be asking a stupid question or that it is more of a situation where you are butting in on a conversation among friends as someone mentioned. 

I like the idea of the TOTW (Tip of the week?).  Didn't catch what that stood for so am assuming   I also think posting races that we are participating in might create some more interaction.  Just my thoughts for what it is worth. 

Edited by kwhitlock 2012-01-27 3:45 PM
2012-01-29 2:24 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
I'm new to BT and a brand-new triathlete (to the extent that I haven't actually completed a triathlon), and I'm glad to see this issue being discussed. I'm usually the type to lurk for quite a while before diving in to participate in a new forum, but in the case of triathlon I'm realizing just how much I have to learn in a relatively short span of time so I don't think I have the luxury of lurking much before I start asking my newbie questions. Just the mere existence of this thread is enough to make me think that most people won't scoff if I ask a silly question. Which I will, mark my words.
2012-01-29 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4017189

User image

Elite
SE

all-i was thinking, along the lines of mentor thread, we should do an athlete per week feature where they talk about short and long term goals, strengths and weaknesses, pose any questions. it may force lurkers onto the scene in their and our own best interests.

paxsarah-you ought to join athens area triathletes on fb too

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do we get new triathletes involved? Rss Feed  

of 2