General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra Zero Drop shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-17 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Altra Zero Drop shoes

Couldn't find anything in the gear reviews on these, and they've been publicized pretty well so I'm thinking a few people on her have them. I'm currently running the Saucony Kinvara's and need a new pair of shoes for this season.  No one sells the Altra's locally, so I'm hesitant to just purchase these online.

Anyone tried these out and had bad or good luck with them?

2012-01-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3994558

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: Altra Zero Drop shoes
No but have the same question. I chatted with the Altra rep at a booth at the St. Louis RnR marathon ... maybe you can see if they'll be at any of your local race expos in the next few months? I'm sure if you emailed the company they could tell you.
2012-01-17 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've got over 450 miles on a pair of Altra Instincts now (see a report at http://www.bridersplace.com/2011/11/altra-instinct-350-miles-later.html). Can't say enough good about them. I had the Saucony Kinvara before that, and had issues with the forefoot shape. The Altras solved all of them. And I found them comfy enough to take them on a 10-miler the first time I ran in them (http://www.bridersplace.com/2011/04/altra-instinct-initial-impressions-and.html). I wasn't as impressed with the Lone Peak, but I think some slight differences in the upper construction was what did it (the strap sewn under the "mountain profile" logo on the side pressed into my 5th metatarsal). If you like real minimalism, they've got the Adam as well. The Samson, coming out in the next couple months, is a slightly more cushioned and lace-up version of the Adam. I had a conversation with Brian at Altra a while back, and he said they have "more minimal" versions of both the Instinct and the Lone Peak planned for later this year.

I really like what Altra is doing. Their stuff lasts, has a real no-nonsense design, and I hope they're around for a long time.

Edited by briderdt 2012-01-17 10:47 AM
2012-01-18 1:11 AM

User image

Honolulu

I am not sure which model of Altras that you want to know about so...

I have a pair of the Altra Adams and the Altra Instinct Road shoes.  I don't like the Instinct road shoes.  They felt clumsy to me.  Too much sole.  I prefer the NB Minimus Road to the Altra Road shoes.  But, hey, that is only my unqualified opinion.  

However, I really like the Altra Adams.  They are my favorite shoes so far.  Previously my favorite shoes was the NB Minimus Trails shoes which I used on the road.  I have put around 50 miles on the Adams so far.  I wear them without socks and my feet stay dry.  They don't stink up like the VFF.  They are as minimal as the VFF without the toes.  The toes on the VFF kind of look creepy to me.  Again, that's just my unqualified opinion.  You can also get the Adams on faster in transitions than the VFFs since you don't have to deal with the toes.

If you are into minimalist footwear then you may want to take a look at the Altra Adams.

2012-01-18 4:22 AM
in reply to: #3994952

User image

Veteran
briderdt - 2012-01-17 10:46 AM

I've got over 450 miles on a pair of Altra Instincts now (see a report at http://www.bridersplace.com/2011/11/altra-instinct-350-miles-later.html). Can't say enough good about them. I had the Saucony Kinvara before that, and had issues with the forefoot shape. The Altras solved all of them. And I found them comfy enough to take them on a 10-miler the first time I ran in them (http://www.bridersplace.com/2011/04/altra-instinct-initial-impressions-and.html). I wasn't as impressed with the Lone Peak, but I think some slight differences in the upper construction was what did it (the strap sewn under the "mountain profile" logo on the side pressed into my 5th metatarsal). If you like real minimalism, they've got the Adam as well. The Samson, coming out in the next couple months, is a slightly more cushioned and lace-up version of the Adam. I had a conversation with Brian at Altra a while back, and he said they have "more minimal" versions of both the Instinct and the Lone Peak planned for later this year.

I really like what Altra is doing. Their stuff lasts, has a real no-nonsense design, and I hope they're around for a long time.

How do these run in sizes? I normally wear a 10.5 wide, but the Kinvara2 fits pretty good if I go up to an 11.5. Are the Altra's similar to the Kinvara in width/length, or would you recommend a size up or down? Thanks.

2012-01-18 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
No opinion on the shoes, but why are you hesitant to order online? Places like runningwarehouse.com have free shipping and free returns. If you don't like the shoes send them back. If you like the Kinvara you might also consider the Brooks PureConnect or PureFlow in addition to the Altra.

2012-01-18 7:54 AM

I've been alternating the Altra Intuition and NB Minimus Trail for about two months now. I love them both for slightly different reasons. Naturalrunning.com has a 30 day return policy on the Altras even after you've run in them so you have nothing to lose.
2012-01-18 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3996736

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
MCAP - 2012-01-18 8:54 AM

I've been alternating the Altra Intuition and NB Minimus Trail for about two months now. I love them both for slightly different reasons. Naturalrunning.com has a 30 day return policy on the Altras even after you've run in them so you have nothing to lose.

Care to elaborate what those reasons are?

I'm looking for a minimal shoe myself - what I really want is something with minimal drop, but a bit more of a sole than VFFs or Altra Adam/Eve. It seems like the Altra Intuition might be a good choice for me, but can anyone suggest others I should consider?
2012-01-18 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, MS
I bought a pair and used them for one run. They fit great, especially the wide toe box because I have an abnormally wide foot and its hard for me to find running shoes that fit correctly. The reason I returned them, is because the do make you run with a forefoot form, which after a mile made my calves hurt for 3 days. I would love to continue to use them and build better form, but I am in the middle of marathon training so I returned them for now. I would buy them again when I am not training.
2012-01-18 9:14 AM

Not sure how to quote from the mobile site...

But, I love the NB minimus trail. I use those on trails and in the road and have been running in them for about 9 months. I like the good ground feel feedback I get from them. They are a 4mm drop but don't really feel like it. I will continue to run in these and will get the minimus zero trail when they come out in March.

I bought the intuition because I wanted something zero drop and need a wide toe box. Since running in the NBs my toes have spread since they can do so. Most shoes are too narrow in the toe box now. I wanted something with a touch more cushion to try out for runs in the 10+ mile range. I like the intuitions, but find that I need to run with my form just a touch differently because of the difference in drop. I feel like rotating between the two shoes keeps my feet and legs strengthening in different ways.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I really like them both and will continue to use them both.
2012-01-18 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3996518

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Rickz - 2012-01-18 2:22 AM

How do these run in sizes? I normally wear a 10.5 wide, but the Kinvara2 fits pretty good if I go up to an 11.5. Are the Altra's similar to the Kinvara in width/length, or would you recommend a size up or down? Thanks.

I have worn 10.5 in Nikes for some time. I had to size up to an 11 in the Kinvara, but with the Instinct I was back in a 10.5. For the Merrell Trail Glove I'm in a 10.

Hope that helps.

2012-01-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3996769

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

jsnowash - 2012-01-18 6:14 AM I'm looking for a minimal shoe myself - what I really want is something with minimal drop, but a bit more of a sole than VFFs or Altra Adam/Eve. It seems like the Altra Intuition might be a good choice for me, but can anyone suggest others I should consider?

Zero drop -- Saucony Hattori, New Balance Minimus Zero line (don't know how widely available these are yet), GoLite has a few zero-drop models as well, Merrell Bare Access or Road Glove, any of the Vivobarefoot models (though not much cushion), and Inov8 Bare line.

Low drop -- the New Balance Minimus line is built on 4mm drop, as is the Skechers GoRun (but will feel very strange with a heel strike or when walking -- they have more models in the works that will be much more "normal"), Brooks Pureproject (though I found these fairly narrow in the toe box), Merrell Mix Master.

Edited by briderdt 2012-01-18 10:19 AM
2012-01-18 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3996769

jsnowash - 2012-01-18 8:14 AM
MCAP - 2012-01-18 8:54 AMI've been alternating the Altra Intuition and NB Minimus Trail for about two months now. I love them both for slightly different reasons. Naturalrunning.com has a 30 day return policy on the Altras even after you've run in them so you have nothing to lose.
Care to elaborate what those reasons are? I'm looking for a minimal shoe myself - what I really want is something with minimal drop, but a bit more of a sole than VFFs or Altra Adam/Eve. It seems like the Altra Intuition might be a good choice for me, but can anyone suggest others I should consider?
Saucony hattori is what you want.Zero drop abd .7cm padding just enough to run with minimal but functional shock absorption.I like my vffs but they are an advanced shoe in that the no padding really ftigues your calf and achilles. I thiught 3 months would adapt to it but its going to take a lot longer.Just got the hattoris and im running strain free again and fast for me.
2012-01-19 1:45 AM
in reply to: #3997078

User image

Veteran
briderdt - 2012-01-18 10:13 AM
Rickz - 2012-01-18 2:22 AM

I have worn 10.5 in Nikes for some time. I had to size up to an 11 in the Kinvara, but with the Instinct I was back in a 10.5. For the Merrell Trail Glove I'm in a 10.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks. I have a pair of Kinvaras at size 11, and they are the ok in length, but not quite wide enough. They are barely acceptable in width in an 11.5 but a touch too long. Runner's Warehouse and Altra both say that the Instinct runs about 1/2 size small, so I'm thinking an 11.5 will work. If it gets to me to the same length as the Kinvara in an 11, but a little wider, it will be perfect.

Buying shoes is a big issue for me because of the wide feet and living in the middle of Illinois. There literally aren't any running stores within 160 miles of me that even carry Altras.. or any of the newer low drop shoes at all for that matter. I can't even find Kinvaras in my size around here at all. So Running Warehouse it is. At least their return policy is very generous in case I get the wrong size. Sure would be nice to be able to try some of these shoes on for once before buying them though.

2012-01-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3996680

User image

Extreme Veteran

Donskiman - 2012-01-18 7:24 AM No opinion on the shoes, but why are you hesitant to order online? Places like runningwarehouse.com have free shipping and free returns. If you don't like the shoes send them back. If you like the Kinvara you might also consider the Brooks PureConnect or PureFlow in addition to the Altra.

I like to patronize local shops, but also I'd rather just be able to try on a few pairs so I can tell the difference.  It's tough to compare the feel of the shoes when there is a week between trying it.

2012-01-19 8:31 AM

Veteran
Meridian, ID
I have a pair of the Instinct.  These are the only shoes I run in.  Size runs true and the toe box is quite large for lots of toe wiggle (in a good way).  Definitely have to work yourself into them if you don't already do a mid/fore foot strike.  I'm 6'3" 230# and find the sole cushion quite adequate.  I wear mine with yanks laces and to me they feel like house slippers with a sole.

2012-01-29 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3999144

User image

Extreme Veteran

Got the Altra Instincts the other day and had y first run yesterday.  Just did a 2 mile run after I was on the bike trainer.  Not going to beat around the bush, but the wide toe box looks pretty lame.  Feels great though!  After wearing the Merrel Trail gloves (not for running), I have noticed the tightness in the toe area of my Saucony Kinvara's, so I was a big reason I wanted these.  I could feel a difference in my calves, but nothing too sore.  There was some pain in my foot, but I'm guessing it's just using those muscles differently.

I'll put up a review after a couple weeks of running.

2012-01-29 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran

I ordered a pair and they ended up being defective. The heel counter was lower on one shoe than the other. It was enough that it caused one heel to slip a lot while running. So I sent them back. I was going to do an exchange but opted for a store credit after reading that the Kinvara 3 will be available in a 2E width! Can't wait to try those out!

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/rs/saucony-kinvara-3/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altra Zero Drop shoes Rss Feed