General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Felt TTR3 Rims vs alternative Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-18 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3995450

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Felt TTR3 Rims vs alternative
I have a set of 700 TTR3's I'm considering parting ways with. I recently bought a powertap and am currently looking for a matching front. Good shape, maybe 5,000 miles. PM if interested.

2012-01-18 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3996142

User image

Pro
Techdiver - 2012-01-17 5:27 PM

Dude you just called me FAT... I want to throw that out there.. You said I was FAT... I am ok with it I have broad shoulders in case you couldn't tell and I can't agree with you more

No way man- you're a lean machine.  I was referring to your body position- you could get a little lower to improve the aerodynamics, and that bike frame is a pound heavier than it needs to be. 

2012-01-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3997193

User image

Chatham Ontario
morey000 - 2012-01-18 10:58 AM
Techdiver - 2012-01-17 5:27 PM

Dude you just called me FAT... I want to throw that out there.. You said I was FAT... I am ok with it I have broad shoulders in case you couldn't tell and I can't agree with you more

No way man- you're a lean machine.  I was referring to your body position- you could get a little lower to improve the aerodynamics, and that bike frame is a pound heavier than it needs to be. 

What can I do to drop a pound on the bike? I often thought about taking a spacer out of the front. I left them up that high to be more comfortable while riding. But I am 25 lbs lighter then when I had my bike fitting. I could probably get a bit more aggressive with it now and drop it down a bit more. According to the FIST system fitting I had I have my bars at the highest cockpit height they would recommend...

Kind of hard when you are this barrel chested and only 5'6" Tall (on a tall day) Keep the suggestions coming. I should have come in this forum last summer and asked this stuff...

Thanks.

Edited by Techdiver 2012-01-18 12:20 PM
2012-01-18 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3997435

User image

Pro
Techdiver - 2012-01-18 10:18 AM

What can I do to drop a pound on the bike?

How much money you got in the bank?  There's no end to the amount of carbon fiber and titanium components and goodies- let alone a whole new frame.

but- as much fun as it is to have a light bike, the speed value of weight is minimal.

I'm actually in the same boat as you, as my new Felt is rockin' those TTR3's.  They do feel fast... but they are heavy.  Not a problem for Tri's, even hillier ones, but I plan on using the bike for group rides, and the impact on accelleration- which is one of my weak points as it is, is quite feelable.  Problem is- to get something lighter AND more aero, you're pretty much looking in the category of Zipp 404FC- which is a lot of money for that next performance step.

2012-01-18 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3995450

User image

Chatham Ontario

Ya see I can't see spending that kind of money into lightening things.

As an Engineer I would look more to reducing co-efficient of friction. Tires, Wheel Bearings, Crank Bearings (already did this one)

I have been seriously considering new hubs and bearings as an option. Along with looking for race tires. This is the one time that 650s hurt.

If it was my road bike I would have no issues it has 700s. I use it for group rides. But Prefer to be on my Tri bike as much as I can after all it is what I race on.

2017-11-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Gold member
I am going to tag onto this as I am looking at finding a lighter and more aerodynamic wheel set for my Felt IA4 which came with Felt TTR3 wheels. I have the funds, but will definitely look for a bargain once I figure out what wheel set or sets I might be looking for.

Are there any suggestions on an upgrade in a wheel-set for my IA4 both in weight and aero?

Thanks!

2017-11-14 10:04 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I own a Felt B14 and still have the stock wheels that came with it (TTR3's or TTR4's don't remember). While training for my first IM last year I pondered getting race wheels and to help with the decision making process I logged into that Best Bike Split website https://www.bestbikesplit.com/

Really cool tool as you can adjust many things. Wheel type, weight, tubes (butyl vs. latex) all kinds of stuff. You can even pick a course from their list or enter your own course (upload a Garmin file etc.).

What I found was that I could only save like 5 minutes by going to some deep wheels (80mm/60mm) over the course of 112 miles. My thought on that was save my money unless I was fit enough to contend for a Kona slot.

Agree with others that aero trumps weight.

You can get plenty fast by working on the engine and working with your position (fit) to get more aero.

Play with the parameters in bestbikesplit and you'll get an idea of will have an impact. Try upping your FTP by 10-20 Watts see what that gives you. It will make wheel weight look like nothing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Felt TTR3 Rims vs alternative Rss Feed  

of 2