Charleston Marathon
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 1443/2033
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 117/139
Pre-race routine:

This was not an "A" race for me at all. I was using this as a training day. I've been using the half marathon training as a way of building a base for a HIM in May and IMFL in Nov. It has been a good experience for me because before I started my HM training the farthest I had run was a 10K during an OLY. So distance running has never been something that I have done.

I woke up about 4:30 and got in the shower. I got dressed and left the house a little after 5:00. I didn't feel very well so I didn't eat anything which i think came back to haunt me a little at the end of the race.
Event warmup:

Arrived the the finish line and had to ride a bus back to the start. When I arrived at the race site the temp. on my car read 29. The wind was blowing pretty hard and I nearly froze. My warmup consisted of hiding from the wind behind a wall and shivering.

Maybe I can be a little over-board with things from time to time but I was ready to choke people during the national anthem. It drives me nuts when people move around and talk during the national anthem. A little respect would certainly be nice. Let me get down off my soap box and get back to my race report.
Run
  • 2h 21m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first race that didn't involve swimming and biking before getting to the run. I didn't want to start out to fast and runn out of gas at the end. I was hoping to average somewhere between 10:20 and 10:35 for the whole race. During the start the course was blocked from much wind by the surrounding buildings. A little over a mile into the race you run by rainbow row and some beautiful houses on the battery. I felt like I could have been running a little faster but I was trying to maintain my pace. About 3 or 4 miles into the race, you start leaving the down-town area and start with the more run down part of the city and the industrial looking areas. There were several small bands playing along the first part of the route. The head wind was brutal and never-ending. I think there may have been about a 1/4 stretch where I didn't feel like the wind was not in my face. Things were going along fine until about mile 8 or 9 and things seem to slow down a little. The water stations were out of cups by about mile 6. I also think skipping breakfast was not a very good idea. I started to run out of gas. Nutrition has always been a challenge for me but I think not eating goes more along the lines of just dumb. By mile 12 I wanted to stop and walk but I made up my mind that i was going to run the whole race. I pushed through and finished the race without walking and was pleased with finishing.
What would you do differently?:

Eat breakfast and hydrate better during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and walked to get some water and oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad nutrition

Event comments:

This is the first running race i've ever done so I don't have anything but triathlons to compare. It is just the second year of the marathon and they still have some bugs to work out but I enjoyed the race. I'll probably do the race again next year except maybe the full marathon next year.

Last updated: 2011-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/139
Overall: 0/2033
Performance: Below average
1-10:19, 2-10:15, 3-10:07, 4-10.17, 5-10:38, 6-10:32, 7-10:47, 8-10:49, 9-11:00, 10-11:08, 11-11:08, 12-11:20, 13-11:24, .01-10:00
Course: Point to point race starting down-town Charleston and ending in North Charleston. Flat course with the exception of one over-pass.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes