Set-Up, Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 38m 24s
Overall Rank = 277/489
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/30
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast was one whole-grain bagel with peanut butter, one banana, one OJ, and a cup of coffee. I sipped on a Gatorade Endurace throughout the morning and took one gel about 15 minutes before the swim.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 36m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was satisfactory. I left a little time out on the course by swimming outside the pack too much.
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation, more confidence to get in the draft.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

I had a bad T1 because my zipper leash somehow got caught around my ankle inside my suit. Every time I pulled my suit it cinched down on my ankle. Just bad luck but something I need to watch out for next time.

More practice getting out of suit.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't practice race nutrition. I had 2 sports drinks, 1 water, 2 gels, and 4 scoops of Perpeteum. I couldn't drink very much of the second bottle of sports drink. I felt like I had too much sugar in me. I was a little nauseous. For the last 45 minutes of the bike I took in no calories, only water.

Didn't gather race knowledge. I wish I would have known more about the bike. I went out and averged over 21 MPH for the first 35 miles and thought I was having a good day. I had no idea what I was in store for. Nearing the end, I couldn't even hold 17 MPH. I needed a race plan. I had no plan for pacing and it killed me. Towards the end I was getting a bit of hip pain. My shoulders were killing me because of all the seams in the pavement.

Practice nutrition on an equidistant training ride and gather course information. Stick with my nutrition. The lack of calories came back to haunt me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

T2 was ok. I spent a little time stretching because my upper hips were pretty trashed. Little did I know, I'd totally blown my legs out on the bike.

Mental strength. I let the last 20 miles get me down and I'm sure it affected my performance.
Run
  • 2h 01m 92s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Disaster! The first 2 or 3 miles were ok as I was pacing near my goal pace of 8:00 and then I just crashed. I couldn't force myself to drink the Cytomax b/c I wasn't feeling well. I only drank water and took no gels. My calves were trashed. The hip pain went away during the run but I couldn't carry a pace. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I took in no calories during the run!

The bike led to the bad run, no doubt. I need to do more long bricks next time. Stick with my nutrition plan!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Illness. One week before the race I had a nasty case of gastroenteritis (stomach flu). A few days before the race that turned into some sort of respitory infection where I was coughing a lot, stuffed up, and gernally feeling under the weather. That definitely impacted my endurance and my strength.

Training. Next time I need to do more long distance bricks in the heat of the day. Starting a half marathon at 11AM in 85 degree weather is tough if you haven't trained for it.

Nutrition. Stick to the eating plan! Be very cautious about stopping eating just because you don't feel exactly right.

Pacing. Have a pace plan and stick to it. Considering racing with an HRM.
Come up with something quantifiable to know if you're over/under pace.

Race Knowledge. Know the course and know how to race the course.

Last updated: 2006-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/489
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:47
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:27 | 56 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Totally flat. First half is great pavement and good winds. Last 20 miles are on seamed pavement with a strong headwind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:92 | 13.1 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, sunny, hot.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 12:29 PM

User image

New user

Atlanta, GA
Subject: White Lake Half

2006-05-08 2:22 PM
in reply to: #417662

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: White Lake Half

Congrats on finishing a 1/2 Ironman.  Wow! 

Your time was awesome, even without the flu bug.  No need to hang your head at all.  Great job.

2006-05-08 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
I had the same thing happen to me on the run at this race. I had GI cramps about 20 miles left on the bike and reduced calorie intake and took in water to help. Took in zero calories on run adn went straight to hell from there. Live and learn....

2006-05-08 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome HIM, even with the nutrition problems. It's a tricky balance. Congrats on finishing!
2006-05-08 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran

Great job at White Lake!!  I feel your pain on the last 20 miles or so of the ride.  It was no fun and my shoulders and neck are sore from the constant bumping.

Regardless, you rocked that race!!

2006-05-08 9:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations on your HIM! Awesome

2006-05-09 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Great race and great finish time despite the problems you mentioned. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed