General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Repair Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-20 8:23 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Treadmill Repair

So the running deck on my treadmill cracked and nordic track wants $200 for a new deck.  I got the deck off the treadmill and it looks like basic mdf i could get a home depot. 

Anyone ever replaced the deck on their treadmill?  Any suggestions.  I figure I would need to coat the wood with something.

2012-01-20 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4002617

New user
Subject: RE: Treadmill Repair

I use to do service on exercise equipment for 4 1/2 years. Unfortunately you are probably gonna have to buy a deck specific for Nordic Trac, you can search online sometime you can find aftermarket parts.

If you don't have the right surface you are gonna 1. Burn up the running belt 2. Cause to much friction between the belt and deck and burn up your motor or motor control board if it over heats or surges. Also treadmills usually use either a silicon or paraffin wax lubricant.

Depending on the price of the tread, if it is not worth fixing you could try using another surface either way you'd be out a couple hundred bucks.

2013-11-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: kproudfoot

You're right!! it is the same crappy MDF material. MDF is infact straight (flat) which is why its used. If you're looking for a loophole, cut a deck from home depot to fit and put a peice of mylar under the tread. Some of the older machines use this, and you can buy that and add it to your home made deck. The mylar film will make it unnecessary to grease your deck, and be a barrier between your deck and tread.
2013-11-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: hagenst

User image

Originally posted by hagenst

I use to do service on exercise equipment for 4 1/2 years. Unfortunately you are probably gonna have to buy a deck specific for Nordic Trac, you can search online sometime you can find aftermarket parts.

If you don't have the right surface you are gonna 1. Burn up the running belt 2. Cause to much friction between the belt and deck and burn up your motor or motor control board if it over heats or surges. Also treadmills usually use either a silicon or paraffin wax lubricant.

Depending on the price of the tread, if it is not worth fixing you could try using another surface either way you'd be out a couple hundred bucks.

Correct! Building your own deck will probably result in ruining your treadmill. Check out www.sportsmith.net They may have some aftermarket decks to save you some $$
2013-11-12 8:32 PM
in reply to: kproudfoot

User image

I've made this repair for my home treadmill with Home Depot MDF that was primed. Made sure I lubed the deck well and have had zero issues.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Repair Rss Feed