General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy in Colorado Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-22 4:12 PM

Subject: New guy in Colorado

I've been lurking for a little while because I am considering doing a tri in May.  Not that I've ever been "thin" I decided to do something about my health when I hit 3 bills, unemployment kinda made it worse.  Luckily my wife is supportive, employed, and subsidizing my efforts, I have been working with a personal trainer for the last couple months and dropped about 30lbs.  I have a long way to go, but my PT feels that I can do one.  There are 2 sprint tris within 2mi of my front door, one is a pool swim the other is a lake.   I have some reservations about a lake swim though.  I was looking at pics and EVERYBODY is wearing a wetsuit.  Finding one in my size is difficult, and I'm not a fan of the cold.

Ran a few 5Ks in the last couple months and although I'm slow I have been improving.  Started swimming at the club (Lifetime) but looking to improve my stamina and stroke efficiency.  Looking at getting some one-on-one lessons for this.  My bro-in-law left a road bike in my basement so I've commandeered it for my use.  Researched it and it looks like a 2002 model Trek 1000, fit is OK.  Rode it for the first time last Thurs and it wasn't too bad, wrists and hands were a little sore.  It was just a quick ride (7mi) to see how it felt.

I decided to do a super-sprint distance in Austin (TX).  I have some personal business that I have to do there, so I thought it'd be a good time.  It is a lake swim, but it should be warmer.  My PT said I can borrow his bike case, I just hope it is within the airline's size and weight requirements.  I'll continue checking the website and forums.  I have a lot more reading to do.        

2012-01-22 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4004735

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: New guy in Colorado

Welcome!  Glad you decided to take the plunge.  Lots of great info and people on the forums.  As for wetsuits, checkout the Clyde and Athena forum as they may be able to help.

Either way good luck!

2012-01-26 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrat's on all your progress so far. Let me encourage you to use the site to the fullest and interact on the forums. This is a great community with lot's of folks to inspire and help you. Keep up the good work and happy training!
2012-02-01 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO

Hey, I just started reading these forums last night I have been planning my first sprint this year in June for about a month. I have lost 106 Lbs the last 2 years started at 325. If you have any tips during your training please share!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy in Colorado Rss Feed