2012-04-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4172290

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: 2012 cycling race report thread
dalessit - 2012-04-25 12:53 PM
crowny2 - 2012-04-25 11:10 AM

PS. I almost forgot, I'm now a Cat 4.  Got my upgrade with last nights race so will get to contribute to the IL Cup race on Sunday. 

Congrats!

Awesome Crowny!!!  Congrats on the upgrade!!!

2012-04-26 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4005147

User image

over a barrier
HEY! I wasn't dropped, I wasn't in the mix. Guy slipped a pedal in front of me and I had to unclip / foot down and everyone was gone. Chased @ 300 watts for 4 mins to try and catch on and said screw it and sat up waiting for the train to come by me and jumped back in.

2012-04-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4175262

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

running2far - 2012-04-26 2:57 PM HEY! I wasn't dropped, I wasn't in the mix. Guy slipped a pedal in front of me and I had to unclip / foot down and everyone was gone. Chased @ 300 watts for 4 mins to try and catch on and said screw it and sat up waiting for the train to come by me and jumped back in.

LOL! Sorry about that.  Embarassed

2012-04-30 8:52 AM

User image

Champion

Cobb Park Criterium - Part of the Illinois Cup

So I need to learn to pay attention to the races I sign up for because I REALLY screwed it up for the race yesterday.  I signed up for what I thought was the 40+/50+ Cat 4&5.  When in reality I signed up for the 40+/50+ Cat 1/2/3/4!  Yes, that's right, the 40+ open.  And good lord was it fast.  I found out after the race that there were two guys in it that are currently Cat 1's and have some pretty significant history.  Not the least of which was Tom Doughty (1980 and 1984 Olympian and 1979 Pan Am Cyclist). 

I have yet to look at my numbers on my watch because I was pretty disgusted with my effort.  Anyway, the course is moderately technical.  From the start line, you have a 90 degree run right, a little chicane, another 90 degree turn right, a long straight away, and a slow sweeping 110+ degree turn right into the sprint straight away. 

Off they shot and held an absolutely blistering pace for the first 2-3 laps.  I tried to stay with the group (we also had a decent contingent of 5-6 on my team in it) and I wanted to try to stay with them.  Found out after the race that 3 pulled themselves out fairly quickly.  Anyway, because of the size of the pack, it was a friggen accordion through the two hard turns.  And of course, when you are at the back of the pack, that makes it that much harder.  I kept getting caught behind guys that put them selves at the front to start but continued to move back in the pack, so I would have to go around them. 

Long story short, about 4-5 laps in, I found myself off the back and in no mans land.  A group of 4 other guys (one from my team) and I hooked up and we started doing a pace line to try to catch up.  Only problem was, we were pulling too long.  1/2 to full lap each and it wasn't working. We held on for a while and I thought, "Short and strong" on the pulls and communicated to the other four as I was moving back in the line.  It took us about a 1/2 lap to get organized but when we did it made all the difference.  I'm stronger through the corners and was pulling them with me and would then sit in the slip stream on the straight away drag race to recover.  Unfortunately, the main pack was that much faster.  They were throwing down 1:45/lap pace.  In other words, close to 30 miles an hour.

With 16 to go, the whistle sounded and we were pulled off.  I was hot.  Really hot.  But they were only about 100-200 meters behind us and closing fast.  Another lap and they would have had us and with an accident that happened right before our race (to guys taken away in ambulances), they were being extra cautious and that was understandable.

I think my race lasted all of about 15-17 minutes.  Was not what I wanted for the day.  Was really hoping to just hang on and survive.  But, live and learn.  It is all a learning process.  Finished 18th out of 21 in the 40+ and was officially 1st in the Cat 4 40+.  But at this point it kind of feels like being the smartest of the idiots. 

2012-04-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4180676

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
crowny2 - 2012-04-30 9:52 AM

So I need to learn to pay attention to the races I sign up for because I REALLY screwed it up for the race yesterday.  I signed up for what I thought was the 40+/50+ Cat 4&5.  When in reality I signed up for the 40+/50+ Cat 1/2/3/4!  Yes, that's right, the 40+ open.  And good lord was it fast.  I found out after the race that there were two guys in it that are currently Cat 1's and have some pretty significant history.  Not the least of which was Tom Doughty (1980 and 1984 Olympian and 1979 Pan Am Cyclist). 

I have yet to look at my numbers on my watch because I was pretty disgusted with my effort.  Anyway, the course is moderately technical.  From the start line, you have a 90 degree run right, a little chicane, another 90 degree turn right, a long straight away, and a slow sweeping 110+ degree turn right into the sprint straight away. 

Off they shot and held an absolutely blistering pace for the first 2-3 laps.  I tried to stay with the group (we also had a decent contingent of 5-6 on my team in it) and I wanted to try to stay with them.  Found out after the race that 3 pulled themselves out fairly quickly.  Anyway, because of the size of the pack, it was a friggen accordion through the two hard turns.  And of course, when you are at the back of the pack, that makes it that much harder.  I kept getting caught behind guys that put them selves at the front to start but continued to move back in the pack, so I would have to go around them. 

Long story short, about 4-5 laps in, I found myself off the back and in no mans land.  A group of 4 other guys (one from my team) and I hooked up and we started doing a pace line to try to catch up.  Only problem was, we were pulling too long.  1/2 to full lap each and it wasn't working. We held on for a while and I thought, "Short and strong" on the pulls and communicated to the other four as I was moving back in the line.  It took us about a 1/2 lap to get organized but when we did it made all the difference.  I'm stronger through the corners and was pulling them with me and would then sit in the slip stream on the straight away drag race to recover.  Unfortunately, the main pack was that much faster.  They were throwing down 1:45/lap pace.  In other words, close to 30 miles an hour.

With 16 to go, the whistle sounded and we were pulled off.  I was hot.  Really hot.  But they were only about 100-200 meters behind us and closing fast.  Another lap and they would have had us and with an accident that happened right before our race (to guys taken away in ambulances), they were being extra cautious and that was understandable.

I think my race lasted all of about 15-17 minutes.  Was not what I wanted for the day.  Was really hoping to just hang on and survive.  But, live and learn.  It is all a learning process.  Finished 18th out of 21 in the 40+ and was officially 1st in the Cat 4 40+.  But at this point it kind of feels like being the smartest of the idiots. 

and they say 40 y/old's are slow, lol

Nice work Crowny, keep up the hard work, soon you will be hanging in the whole race.  AS long as you learn each time, and get honest good hard work in, you are making progress.

2012-04-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4180747

User image

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2012-04-30 9:14 AM
crowny2 - 2012-04-30 9:52 AM

and they say 40 y/old's are slow, lol

Nice work Crowny, keep up the hard work, soon you will be hanging in the whole race.  AS long as you learn each time, and get honest good hard work in, you are making progress.

Thanks.  BTW, this guy is 60!  I hope I am in 1/2 that good of shape when I am his age. 

2012-05-09 1:53 PM

User image

over a barrier
Waking this thread up: Tuesday Night Crit series presented by SouthChicago Wheelman.

Race B #1: I think it was a 15 or so lap affair, brought some other Spidermonkeys to the race and had a strong teammate at the race in the B field. Our plan was pretty simple; mark Half Acre and xXx and cover any attacks and if they didn't attack we would launch attack after attack hoping they would have to cover. Then launch Peter off the front. Race 1 seemed to be trucking away at a good clip everyone seemed happy to sit in as a group. So I started to attack to try and get guys to cover, nothing stuck which is what I was hoping, the last thing I wanted to do was solo off the front for an extended period of time and with two laps to go Peter went off the front and dangled about 10 secs off the field, I moved to front for some blocking slowing up the group in the turns and control the pace from the front and with two turns to go sat up and watched Peter take the victory. We regrouped during cool down and decided to try and the strategy in the next race.

Race B #2: The longer race was next, told Peter I was going to attack on the back section every lap until he was ready to jump. After a couple of gentlemen laps, it was time to light the candle and off I went.....get caught, stay tucked in front through the headwind and drill it on the back section. Took about 4 or 5 laps of this and peter was ready and jumped. He got away with two others (one later come back) and he was clear. I was a little worried as I floated to the back to recover once he got out up the road and a group of 4 or 5 slipped away. The peloton would start to work a few laps later to bring back the second group. Crowny did a ton of work on the front to bring them back, and with the help of a couple of others we got the chase group back. Peter would take second as the xXx races lapped the field.

Race B #3: Shorter of the races. Peter said he legs were shelled and wouldn't be able to attack much, with about 5 to do, we totally got busted by Crowny trying a saturn sit up when Peter floated off the front. Race stayed together and it was a field sprint. I don't have much interest in contested sprints so I stay out of the way and roll in solo.

Great night of racing, got the legs buzzing which is the real goal, a nice hard workout. Hopefully next week it works in the schedule to attend again. Its mainly just good fun at a great price.
2012-05-14 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Poolesville Road Race Cat 4

This was our teams race and I was working AM registration, got to race site around 6:30am to help set up and check people in.

Haven't ridden much in a week and a half since I've been sick.  Still have a cough, didn't think I was going to do very well if even start.

Race is  12 mile loop, no big climbs to speak of, 1 mile of gravel that was dusty and had a few potholes (better than years prior).

Made it 3/4 of way through first lap before I started coughing and couldn't stop, so I pulled the plug after one lap.  It was pretty funny riding back since it was our team race, lots of yelling from the trailing cars as they passed, high-fives going through the feed zone (since I was solo at that point), and general hassling from the road guards I passed doing the ride of shame back to the car.

2012-05-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4208058

User image

over a barrier
^^^ I completely understand, tried to do a Cross race when I thought I was over my cold "enough" quickly found out that I was not over my cold.
2012-05-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4200246

User image

Champion

running2far - 2012-05-09 1:53 PM Waking this thread up: Tuesday Night Crit series presented by SouthChicago Wheelman. Race B #1: I think it was a 15 or so lap affair, brought some other Spidermonkeys to the race and had a strong teammate at the race in the B field. Our plan was pretty simple; mark Half Acre and xXx and cover any attacks and if they didn't attack we would launch attack after attack hoping they would have to cover. Then launch Peter off the front. Race 1 seemed to be trucking away at a good clip everyone seemed happy to sit in as a group. So I started to attack to try and get guys to cover, nothing stuck which is what I was hoping, the last thing I wanted to do was solo off the front for an extended period of time and with two laps to go Peter went off the front and dangled about 10 secs off the field, I moved to front for some blocking slowing up the group in the turns and control the pace from the front and with two turns to go sat up and watched Peter take the victory. We regrouped during cool down and decided to try and the strategy in the next race. Race B #2: The longer race was next, told Peter I was going to attack on the back section every lap until he was ready to jump. After a couple of gentlemen laps, it was time to light the candle and off I went.....get caught, stay tucked in front through the headwind and drill it on the back section. Took about 4 or 5 laps of this and peter was ready and jumped. He got away with two others (one later come back) and he was clear. I was a little worried as I floated to the back to recover once he got out up the road and a group of 4 or 5 slipped away. The peloton would start to work a few laps later to bring back the second group. Crowny did a ton of work on the front to bring them back, and with the help of a couple of others we got the chase group back. Peter would take second as the xXx races lapped the field. Race B #3: Shorter of the races. Peter said he legs were shelled and wouldn't be able to attack much, with about 5 to do, we totally got busted by Crowny trying a saturn sit up when Peter floated off the front. Race stayed together and it was a field sprint. I don't have much interest in contested sprints so I stay out of the way and roll in solo. Great night of racing, got the legs buzzing which is the real goal, a nice hard workout. Hopefully next week it works in the schedule to attend again. Its mainly just good fun at a great price.

Hey man, thanks for the shout out.  I have to say that was probably one of the best nights for me yet.  I've never been able to hang in all 3 races.  I'm getting stronger.  And you shouldn't have said anything after the first race or I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together to figure out you were doing the same thing in the 3rd.  All that being said, I finished in the top 10 on every single race, and I think 5th in the last one.  Each time, I learn a little bit more. I also get more confidence.  Now if I can just put that together into a real race (whenever that will be for me again) and I will really be flying high.

As it was, I had a blast, as always.  Maxed out at 34mph on the last race.  Thinking I take a bit longer to actually wind up to higher speeds cause I was still accelerating each time I crossed the line, which really surprised me considering how much I pulled that night (a hell of a lot considering how many people were out).

If triathlons EVER go by the wayside for me, I will definitely stick to cycling.  I just love it.  Adrenaline rush every time I race.

2012-05-16 11:36 AM

User image

over a barrier
Another Tuesday night race in the B's....Got in several unsuccessful breaks in the first two races. Didn't have any teammates to work with so just sat in the front and chased attacks. The third race, I think everyone has gassed. It was the first"warm" evening in a long time. By the third race, chased an attack as the A group went by and found myself solo off the front for 7 laps with about a 15 secs gap to the field, with two to go I realized it wasn't going to stick as I was now only about 4 or 5 secs up the road and sat up and jumped back into the group. It was a blast though....Can't win unless you try.

2012-05-21 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Just a few more races left this year down here.

DC Ranch Crit Cat 4. 'b' shaped course with the 180 at the top of the hill and a straight shot downhill to the start/finish. Fast, short course @ 0.6 miles. 11th or 12th finish OTB in a group of 2. By the end I was just hoping not to get lapped and pulled! My form isn't as good as it was in the beginning of the year and my cornering could use some work. Still happy with my results. Out of 25+ riders that started, only 1/2 finished the race.

On the ride home...

Me: If only I'd made that break.

Wife: Is it still called a break when it's the whole peloton?

2012-05-21 11:47 AM

User image

over a barrier
LOL! That is awesome! Totally stealing that quote...

I raced 4 times this weekend. Mid pack in the first two races and then in back in the second race of the day. Too much sun & sitting around (4hrs) between races on the first day and was completely gassed on the second day. The second day Crits, you climbed a road that leads to the top of a ski jump hill. Ending up with an IF of 1.07 and 1.02 on the second day.

Back at again, tomorrow night in the weekly Crit series.
2012-05-22 10:02 PM

User image

Champion

Tuesday night series

Race 1 - 15 laps.  Didn't know what I had in the tank after the race this past weekend.  So we started off and I just sat in the front 1/4 of the pack.  With 2 laps to go, someone went off the front, and like a git, I chased.  And totally blew up.  Completely.  So much so I essentially finished dead last of everyone that stayed with the main pack (4-5 dropped off)

Race 2 - 30 laps with an intermediate sprint 1/2 way through.  So I knew that I was tired from the weekend so on this one I just sat in the pack and let everyone else pull but I wanted to stay in the front 1/3.  So I did.  And it really paid off.  With 2 turns to go on the intermediate sprint, I was sitting 2nd wheel when a young man passed on the inside.  He was spinning up quite nicely so I thought, what the hell.  I hopped on his wheel coming into the last turn. I knew, based on his turns earlier in the race, that he wasn't confident.  I cut hard in side, geared all the way down and laid down the hammer and never looked back.  I crossed the line, looked back and had a 3-4 bike length gap.  (36+mph on that sprint)  I let the pack absorb me and let my HR get back down to see if I could try to win the race.  Ultimately, I finished 8th or 9th as I again tried to bridge someone late in the race and blew my wad too early.  Still very happy with results.

Race 3 - 20 laps.  Again, just wanted to hold on to see what I could do as my legs were getting tired.  Hayes (running 2far) and I made a quick exchange with 10 to go to see if he wanted to go.  Thought we could do it with about 8 or 7 to go, but another racer took off and blew up that opportunity.  So we just pulled him back in.  Surprisingly, I was still in the hunt with approximately 1/2 a lap to go. But I was too patient and when one guy went, and no one else went, I knew I wasn't going to get it.  So let's see how high I could get.  Came into the last turn, the pace really high, and tried to get up and out of the saddle.  I just didn't have it in the legs.  Finished 5th.

Again, I'm getting stronger and better.  Last year, I would never have thought I could hang like this.  But like everyone here said, just hang in and it will start to click.  And it has.  Thanks to everyone here for your advice.

2012-05-24 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Enumclaw stage race for me last weekend near Seattle Washington. I ended up 16th overall in the Pro/1/2 field and finished in the money!

I'm not particular good at Time Trials, so I'm working on it. Happy to be mid-pack right now. I had a really really lousy criterium, but a decent road race (placed 10th and made up a lot of time) so it turned out well in the end.

2012-05-24 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4227650

User image

over a barrier
Congrats and way to earn that Paycheck!

2012-05-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4224190

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
crowny2 - 2012-05-22 8:02 PM

Tuesday night series

Race 1 - 15 laps.  Didn't know what I had in the tank after the race this past weekend.  So we started off and I just sat in the front 1/4 of the pack.  With 2 laps to go, someone went off the front, and like a git, I chased.  And totally blew up.  Completely.  So much so I essentially finished dead last of everyone that stayed with the main pack (4-5 dropped off)

Race 2 - 30 laps with an intermediate sprint 1/2 way through.  So I knew that I was tired from the weekend so on this one I just sat in the pack and let everyone else pull but I wanted to stay in the front 1/3.  So I did.  And it really paid off.  With 2 turns to go on the intermediate sprint, I was sitting 2nd wheel when a young man passed on the inside.  He was spinning up quite nicely so I thought, what the hell.  I hopped on his wheel coming into the last turn. I knew, based on his turns earlier in the race, that he wasn't confident.  I cut hard in side, geared all the way down and laid down the hammer and never looked back.  I crossed the line, looked back and had a 3-4 bike length gap.  (36+mph on that sprint)  I let the pack absorb me and let my HR get back down to see if I could try to win the race.  Ultimately, I finished 8th or 9th as I again tried to bridge someone late in the race and blew my wad too early.  Still very happy with results.

Race 3 - 20 laps.  Again, just wanted to hold on to see what I could do as my legs were getting tired.  Hayes (running 2far) and I made a quick exchange with 10 to go to see if he wanted to go.  Thought we could do it with about 8 or 7 to go, but another racer took off and blew up that opportunity.  So we just pulled him back in.  Surprisingly, I was still in the hunt with approximately 1/2 a lap to go. But I was too patient and when one guy went, and no one else went, I knew I wasn't going to get it.  So let's see how high I could get.  Came into the last turn, the pace really high, and tried to get up and out of the saddle.  I just didn't have it in the legs.  Finished 5th.

Again, I'm getting stronger and better.  Last year, I would never have thought I could hang like this.  But like everyone here said, just hang in and it will start to click.  And it has.  Thanks to everyone here for your advice.

If you are going to die, die out front!

In regards to Race 1, it sounds like you did great. You probably learned a lot and at least you did something.

2012-05-24 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4227992

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

running2far - 2012-05-24 2:55 PM Congrats and way to earn that Paycheck!

Thanks! I'm not going to quit my day job just yet though. Laughing

2012-05-24 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

i have not bike raced since Early April, but i appreciate you all posting your reports, i read them all!!

Keep up the good work guys....And Girl!!!!!  That's for you Jen!!!!

2012-05-25 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Just found this thread. Here's the recap of my last race this past weekend.

Norristown Bicentennial Crit - Cat 5

I ended my Cat 5 career with a bang - 1st place.

Pretty small field in this one - 25 riders in the 5 race. The course was just over a mile with two long straight aways on a slight grade with the start/finish in the middle of the uphill grade (1% ish). One end was a 180 right turn, the other was one a bend left, then 90 degree right, then 150 right (give or take). The race started with a neutral lap. Funny thing about neutral laps (maybe this is just the Cat 5s), if you stay neutral (I held the wheel in front of me), you'll lose 20 spots (similar experience in another race with a neutral lap in the middle). Started 5th wheel or so, after the neutral lap was 20th just holding the wheel in front of me while guys whipped up the sides. In the end, I didn't really care because with the field size and width of the road there was plenty of room to move around. ok, end rant. Race starts, I move up to the front. hold position for a few laps, then the bell goes off for prime lap. I'm third or fourth wheel and decide I'm gonna make a move after the 180 down the back stretch. I go just after the turn and make the move. Checking my 6, there's one guy still with me...dag yo, I'm a little too cocky and thought I would be alone. I let up slightly and give a signal, but he's not gonna pull and the pack is catching, so I turn it back on through the rest of the back stretch and the corners. Let up slightly, I didn't want to burn out and was hoping he'd go so I could grab his wheel. No dice. I launch again early, maybe 300 m out hoping to catch him by surprise. No dice, he's on me, so I just gun it and hope he can't come around. Again, no dice (see a pattern here...), he edges me at the line by half a wheel. I needed to shift during my sprint, which I've practiced and can do, I just didn't here and I think it cost me. They actually gave a prime "prize" for second, so I got a bottle of Freddie's Choice Sports and Muscle Creme (with an expiration date of 5/15/1999). Ok - I think it's awesome they're giving cat 5's prizes (2 deep even) but seriously, don't give out your expired product that's been on your shelf for 13 years and call it a prize. I'm actually not mad about it (even though it probably sounds like I am), it's an amusing story I can tell and that's worth it.

Regardless, settled back into the pack and drifted to the back to relax...almost off the back accidentally (I guess we lost a few riders). Took a lap or two back there just resting, then moved back up to the front. Settled in again at the front, but not on the front. I did find myself lead rider a couple times during the last laps, but if I did I just eased off any intensity, moved left and waited to be passed and grab a wheel, which worked well (I've done too much work on the front of packs recently and it's costed me, one of my Cat 5 learning experiences). No moves (at least meaningful ones) until the last lap. Just after the start/finish line, a rider went up the right quick. I jumped from second wheel and chased. I didn't catch him until after the 180, where I noticed it was just the two of us. Sweet, that's good for me. He was content to pull part of the way down the back stretch, then realizing it was just us, yelled to work together. I had no problems and knew in my head, I'd take a pull, he'd take a pull then I'd be at point to jump for the line. I pulled down the back, and let him take over just before the corners. He led the final turns and coming out, maybe 300-400m from the line, I could tell he was gassed and it was time to jump. I made my move and heard him say "go get it man" and he couldn't respond. I hammered to the finish and was all alone by a safe margin.

After the race I submitted my Cat 4 upgrade request. I have only 8 races, but the guys on my team thought I had good enough results that they'd let me go early. They were right and the request was approved yesterday. So all in all, I'm pretty happy to leave Cat 5 with a win.
2012-05-30 9:17 AM

User image

over a barrier
^^^Nice job sandbagger

congrats on your upgrade.

I had a okay & crappy weekend of racing. I wasn't motivated on Monday, and sat up with 800m to go right when it got hard. I have no idea why....just wasn't into it. My Saturday race went okay, I got boxed in and just had to follow wheels and couldn't launch a sprint. Mid pack finish.

Last night, drove down to the Tuesday night crit series.....

1st race: Sat in the front and chased attacks, nothing major as we had a 25+ mph wind hitting us in the face through the Start/F area. It would take a big effort to get a break. We did create a four man break for awhile, but the field pulled us in...however, this effort plus the wind create a split and the field was shattered. Last lap got fast and furious and followed wheels, launched my sprint way to far out but still held on to 4th. My highest finish.

2nd race: 30 laps, sat in the back through the first 10-15 laps, trying to recover from the first race. The race played out the same for the first 20 laps, a few minor attacks with nothing sticking. They a college kid took off....got a gap and would stay away with 7 laps or so solo. Very impressive effort with the wind. In the field, game around the last turn in second wheel but got dropped by Half Acre and then got pipped at the line...took 4th again.

3rd race: A few people left early so our field of 25 or so was down to 15ish. Everyone looked pretty tired. This would be short race, I think 12 laps down to fading sunlight. The college kid again got away, I think we could tired chasing him. Again I can into the last turn sitting second wheel, launched the sprint at the time as Half Acre and we edged me by half a wheel. I was guessed.....Took 3rd.

Next up is Glencoe GP and then Tour of Galena...then upgrade.

2012-05-30 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Oh, what races are part of the Tour of Galena? Timed stage race or omnium?
2012-05-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4235446

User image

over a barrier
jeng - 2012-05-30 11:53 AM

Oh, what races are part of the Tour of Galena? Timed stage race or omnium?

Omnium.

Elites do: Circuit Race on Friday, A time Trial and Road race on Saturday, and then a Crit on Sunday.

All other fields do Sat and Sun only, no circuit on Friday. Its a very hilly area, near the Mississippi River Valley. http://tourofgalena.com/
2012-05-30 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Tour of Tucker County Cat 4/5.  My first race as a Cat 4 - 2nd.

The race started at the base of the final climb - Sugarlands Road (5 miles at an average of 7% according to Strava).  Myself and a couple guys I knew on different teams rolled down to the start a little early. Down there we met up with another friend who was not racing this year but had just ridden the course and got some intel about the first climb (Location road - 7.2 miles at 3.2% on Strava, although it was really like two shorter, steeper climbs with a flat in the middle). We already knew the hill we just rolled down was going to be a challenge.   The rest of the course was rolling, and all in all was about 4,700 feet of elevation over 35 miles.

The race started with a few miles of down hill and very rough roads. I kept to the front with the guys I knew.  We rolled to the location road climb and pressed the pace up it. Unbeknownst to me, we separated to a pack of about 15 that stayed away for the race (I never got a good sense of our group size during the race - I didn't realize we had split).  I raced it pretty smart - knowing the last climb would be where the race was won or lost, I stayed off the front but forward enough to avoid any potential crashes (there were a few) on the very technical and rough descents. At one point at the top of Location, a few of us had a gap. One rider asked if we wanted to work and go, and we said yes. But one of the other guys got up to pull and just pulled too long and too easy and the group came back together. I took a pull to give it a shot at separating again, but I found myself 15 meters off the front with no one, so sat up and rejoined the group. 

One of the riders I knew was in a "spirited" mood and was aggressive on the front - making some quick bursts on the rollers and being very aggressive on the downs. I was happy with this, being pretty confident he wouldn't get away (or hold on his own) and sitting a few wheels back letting the others make the responses. If a few did get away and looked dangerous, I was confident in my ability to bridge up given the terrain.  This maintained until the end of the loop and we turned towards the final climb. There a new guy took the lead and upped the intensity to the base of climb, but being protected in the group, I wasn't over taxed by it.
We hit the hard portion of the climb, with about 3.5 to go (the point where we staged to start the race) and the grade kicked up hard. I set in targeting 100% FTP and soon found myself ahead of the pack with another rider.  We got separation together but when the road got really steep he got a 20 meter gap which stayed constant. I was a safe distance ahead of the pack, with them being just in view behind me. This was the last I saw of them. The climb flattened a little and I caught up to the leader. We eased a bit and chatted not seeing any threats behind us. When it kicked up again the chatter stopped and I stuck to his wheel. Same thing as before happened. In the real steep section, he got a gap of 20 meters that stayed pretty constant. I made an error calculating the remaining distance and was surprised by the 200 m to go sign appearing suddenly. I put everything I had into a chase and caught up to about 5 meters back with 50 to go. I don't think he knew I was there until a spectator yelled to him that I was closing. At that point he accelerated and I wasn't able to close any more gap and we crossed the line like that. Without the heads up, I think I may have been able to surprise him and who knows. But oh well. 

All in all, I'm pretty happy. The climb played to my strength of a longer SS effort. And I was toe to toe with a guy weighing 35 pounds less than me for a 5 mile climb averaging 7%. If I can drop those 5-8 pounds I need, maybe next time will be different. 
2012-06-01 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Raced my first mass start race since 2007 (might have been 2008) and first drafting race since 2009 at the Halifax Crit last weekend. Raced in the C category and probably would have been fine in the B but wanted to race in the same event as two of the juniors I had racing.

Started in the second line; pretty slow start up the first hill and into the first turn where the pace started to pickup. I was in the front ten or so at this point and the pace was feeling pretty good. I was working at an effort that felt just about right and the group seemed to have lots of solid bike handlers so I just sat in and waited for the first few laps to go by and the pace to drop a little. The tight turn was a little sketchy on a couple of laps when athletes came off their line but with mostly good bike handlers, nobody crashed out.

After a steady 3-4 laps, the pace dropped a little and it became a pretty standard crit; hard out of the corners, pretty easy on the straight sections and mostly just crusing in the peloton. I think we only dropped two or three athletes in the first couple of laps so we had a pretty big group. Since everyone seemed to be decent at handling, I drifted back a little and was sitting in the front half of the group for most of the race.

I was also trying to keep an eye on the two juniors I had doing the race; one was in the front group of three for the entire race and jumped in a breakaway at one point although they only got a small separation before being reeeled back in. The other was hanging out toward the back and I drifted back a few times to see how he was doing as he had crashed at this event last year but he looked comfortable and was happy just to sit in the big draft he was getting.

After checking on my athlete at the back, I was riding back up through the group and grabbed a wheel that was headed to the front; effort felt great so I followed his wheel to the front and when he peeled off, I tried to maintain the effort. Not sure what happened as when i looked back, I was about 15m off the front and nobody showed any indication of chasing. However, since we only about 20 minutes in, I knew there was no way I would stay clear for the rest of the race so I sat up and waited for the group to come back. When the group caught me, I sat back in top 20 and just rode along waiting for the last two laps.

At the last two laps call, the pace picked up a fair amount but I was pretty comfortable sitting in the top 20; things started to really stretch out and we had a nice train of about 10 pulling us along through the last two laps. On the last lap, my athlete who was sitting in the back went by and I tried to grab his wheel but he pulled away a little too quickly; in short order he was in the mix at the front and looking really strong. On the final turn, which is the technical one, someone came way off their line in front of me and I ended up slowing to avoid going down and probably dropped back to 30th. Started my sprint and managed to move through lots of the field before the line and managed to cross the line in 18th. My athlete who was at the front the whole time realized that he probably should have listened and not been at the front the whole time as he had nothing left for the sprint and finished around 30th but the athlete who was sitting at the back ended up finishing 3rd.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 cycling race report thread Rss Feed  

of 4