General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 28m 43s
Overall Rank = 181/347
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/59
Event warmup:

None, no swimming allowed before the race.
Swim
  • 36m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very ugly start for me. I had to pull into the infield of the course, talked with the surf board guy for a little while. He talked me down from my panic and I was able to get going again. Started swimming well and wish I had not needed the break.
What would you do differently?:

Some swim warm-up would be very helpful to get me to relax, I will have to come up with a way to settle down before the swim when warm up time isn't offered. I also want to gain the confidence to move to the front of the wave and swim with the better swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Bike
  • 2h 49m 51s
  • 54 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I averaged 223 watts normal power. My first race w. PowerMeter. Original goal was to keep 190 watts, but decided on saturday after my ride that 220 was a better goal. Went out for first 30 minutes at 235 watts, finished last 5 minutes at 245 watts. I need to start off easier.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Run
  • 1h 56m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run although slow. I could feel last weeks 1/2 marathon working against me. I was able to run the whole thing which was a big goal of mine.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

First race of the season, no taper, big race one week ago.

Event comments:

I can't do this race again if they don't move the swim. That pond is too small for this event

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/59
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Average
Absolutely ridiculous swim. The muck, the smell, the tree on the final turn.
Suit: full wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:51 | 54 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Performance:
I think the course was 2 miles short, but I could be wrong. It was pancake flat.
Wind: Some
Course: Basic two loop course, long straight aways, very flat. A little tougher than last years eagleman course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Flat course, no shade. No mile markers. Well actually, Mile markers in the wrong places. For some reason they sent us out the wrong way on the run, every person ran the wrong way. Craziness.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Harrisburg, PA
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon

2006-05-08 9:51 PM
in reply to: #418274

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon
Nice job considering especially considering the swim adventures you had. Great job on the run!!! And you did a 1/2 Marathon last week....Wow! The swim was in a larger, clearer, cleaner but much colder pond last year. They moved the venue cause the parking and transition areas were much better at the school than last year (had to walk over a 1/2 mile and park in a farmer's field, and swim to T1 was 100% gravel which sucked.) Hopefully they will get it right the third time.
2006-05-09 8:13 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Nice solid result - especially the swim after your unscheduled break.

I agree - I won't do it again if it's the same pond. I swam into that same tree stump twice! nice bruise on my chest.
2006-05-09 4:36 PM

Indiana
I second, or third, or 364th (isn't that how many people did the race?) your sentiments on the swim. This was my 10th triathlon and by far the worst water I have ever had to step foot into. I did the half also. I was running with a guy who told me he actually threw up in the water! I am cracking up as I type this! The things we do to ourselves. . . . .I drove all the way out from Indiana for the race and when us women (in wave 7 or 8 or whatever) got herded into that undescribely disgusting water, I seriously considered getting back out and driving 12 hours back home. . . . But then I thought, heck, we're all in it together. . . I'll just told myself it was like a "Fear Factor" stunt. . . and that's what I told myself the whole swim to get through it. I never hit the infamous stump, but my husband did. I am a teacher and I've been telling my kids the water story all day; it never gets old.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed