General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-24 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week

I apologize in advance for possibly offending those who wish they could train but not due to injury for my post, because I'm sure you wish you had the choice to make stated below.

This may be a misery loves company thread, but I am training for my secong HIM which is the beginning of May and from my last one I learned that even though I am not the fastest swimmer, it was the lack of bike fitness especially on hills that made my finishing result, "time wise" on my last HIM subpar. 

My last week was supposed to be a recovery week but due to "life/work events/issues" it has turned into more of a frustrating rest week and trying to decide what to do tomorrow.  Either stay on original plan, or tweek it ,or just stop "splitting hairs" and do what I want.??

Briefly, My last week went like this. Last tuesday was a typical swim workout 2500yd, and a 1 hr run, Wed: 90 min trainer/intervals...then from Thurs till tomorrow (wed) all I did was a 60 min trainer ride during the football game...as said before crazy several days with inability/access to train.

So tomorrow, which is my day off (I usually get the least interference in training since the kids are at school and wife at work) I am supposed to do either a 3 hr bike or a trainer ride (weather??) but since I have not swam since last tuesday and my next chance to get into pool would be tomorrow or friday, I am wondering if I should swim tomorrow or just do the planned bike.  

My thoughts were 1) just do the originally planned bike, and get back in the pool friday and dont worry about the swim because I can do the distance (albeit only at 2 min /100 pace)and I will have only missed 10 days and I have 3 months to be ready... and I will be back on schedule before I know it...and just deal with it as a part of training

or 2) dont sacrifice the swim and do a swim workout tomorrow and try to squeeze in an extra trainer session even if its less time since I can do that at home until I get back on a typical plan

So any advice or insight, or stories that you have "been there. dont that? "

thanks

2012-01-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4008188

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week
Swim and the bike.  If you are stuck on the trainer and can't go as long, ride harder.
2012-01-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4008188

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week

Do the planned bike workout, skip the swim.  Leave the missed workouts behind and don't look back.

Much easier said that done... I know, but it really is best.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery week turns into unexpected rest week Rss Feed