General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4010802

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim Times
i wound up doing 100 repeats in the pool last night....
(i hate being outside my comfort zone!)

but hey-- whatever it takes to get faster.
(it's ALL experimental in my book...!)

2012-01-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4010802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Just my $0.02, but if you just started in November, take a lesson with a swim coach or get underwater video done. Since you're just starting, make every effort possible to learn the right way so that you don't develop bad habits that you'll have to reverse later. You can build fitness while doing drills to improve your technique, and in my opinion, technique is king in the water.

-Kirk

2012-01-26 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4012391

User image

nicruns - 2012-01-26 11:51 AM
i wound up doing 100 repeats in the pool last night....
(i hate being outside my comfort zone!)

but hey-- whatever it takes to get faster.
(it's ALL experimental in my book...!)
Great work! Your right, being outside your comfort zone is ummmmm.... Well a bit uncomfortable. But that's how u expand that comfort zone. Test yourself every 3 or 4 weeks like you did before to see your progress and keep motivation high. Good luck to you bud.
2012-01-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4011999

User image

Carrollton, TX
sebaf74 - 2012-01-26 9:37 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree with your post. It is true that interval training is the right way to get faster, but doing 100-meter sets as hard as you can is not the ideal way to do it. I would do the 100 meters at a moderate-fast pace and get 10-15 secs rest in between. Also, it is better if the rest is measured based on you T-pace and not actual time of rest. For example, if you can typically swim the 100s in the set at 1:45, then you can do something like 10x100 on 2:00. The first few you will probably get closer to 20 secs rest, and the last couple you may be closer to 10-12 secs rest.

Hope this helps!

+1 I agree, intervals are the way to go.  The intervals help in that you should be able to keep good form while putting in the yards.  This necessarily "teaches" your body good habits and will make you stronger in the water.  I guess an analogy I would make since everyone likes to talk about golf as it relates to swimming (skill-based) is that if you want to hit a 300yard drive you wouldn't keep hitting 100 yarders over and over and over til your arms wore out and your form went to crap.  That's the way I look at it.

2012-01-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4012573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
zomvito - 2012-01-26 12:47 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree with your post. It is true that interval training is the right way to get faster, but doing 100-meter sets as hard as you can is not the ideal way to do it. I would do the 100 meters at a moderate-fast pace and get 10-15 secs rest in between. Also, it is better if the rest is measured based on you T-pace and not actual time of rest. For example, if you can typically swim the 100s in the set at 1:45, then you can do something like 10x100 on 2:00. The first few you will probably get closer to 20 secs rest, and the last couple you may be closer to 10-12 secs rest.

Hope this helps!

+1 I agree, intervals are the way to go.  The intervals help in that you should be able to keep good form while putting in the yards.  This necessarily "teaches" your body good habits and will make you stronger in the water.  I guess an analogy I would make since everyone likes to talk about golf as it relates to swimming (skill-based) is that if you want to hit a 300yard drive you wouldn't keep hitting 100 yarders over and over and over til your arms wore out and your form went to crap.  That's the way I look at it.

I agree regarding intervals as well.  I am also in the slower than 2:00/100 crowd.  I started out even SLOWER than that last year then started a stead diet of intervals in the winter and early spring and was able to gain some speed fairly quickly.  Then as time went on and the weather got nicer outside I upped significantly the bike and run volume.  In the interest of saving time I started doing a lot more of my swims at lunchtime in one long continuous swim.  Plus the extra running and biking was leaving me a little more tired overall so I wasn't mustering up the effort for the intervals.  The end result was that I started getting a bit slower again as time went on than when I was doing intervals.  Back to all intervals all the time this year other than in OW or maybe right before an Oly race (that whole to mental thing about being able to do the race distance).

2012-01-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4011573

User image

getfitfast - 2012-01-26 4:53 AM

This post has really gone through variation....

Good job Tri Hard...I have been swimming longer (2 years with zero experience) and Just about 2:20/100m on a 300m set. Swimming is proving to be a hard slog. I did TI and got limited benefits (main benefit was to making me more aware of my position in the water). Did club squads..slowest in the slow lane and far to much use of toys..

Last two months decided to drop toys and get a few 1:1 lessons and what a difference it has made in my understanding. Two months ago I was probably 2:40ish/100m for 300m set and dropped 15-20 secs off my 100m pace. Also much more aware of my good and bad strokes.

My challenge at the moment is swimming 2000m non-stop. I have a HIM race in three weeks and would like to tackle this issue with confidence. I did a race in early December and hated the swim...heaps of stopping and wanted to pull out as soon as I saw the first turn! It was bit of OWS fear, hadn't put my wetsuit on in months and just felt horrid!

Don't want to be in same position in next race. I am doing a bit more OWS, BUT what are the best possible ways of just getting through 2000m in the pool...just longer sets..eg 300m sets, then 500m sets? My main issue is getting out of breath..

Any tips welcome...

I find that most people that have trouble making the distance use up too much energy in there legs. By kicking hard you waste lots of energy and gain very little speed. You can verify this by timing yourself swimming with a piece of foam between your legs and don't kick at all and then time yourself swimming normal. Also, if your out of breath then you will need to increase your aerobic fitness as much as you can. Try to swim 2,000 meters straight once per week to build your confidence. Otherwise change it up with some intervals twice per week.

2012-01-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4012573

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
zomvito - 2012-01-26 11:47 AM

Hope this helps!

You might practice hitting 100 yarders until you could do it without thinking...then you might try putting a little more energy into it while keepign it smooth and see how 150 yarders go. If they're not going well, get some input from a pro, go to 125 yarders. When you've got the 150s down, add a little more effort and see if you can hit 200s, 250s, etc...

You wouldn't go from 100s to 300s at once. This is all just in terms of creating an analogy for practice. Where swimming and golf diverge is that hitting a more accurate, or further, golf shot requires a little more energy in relation to your form. Swimming just a little faster, once drag is minimized requires a lot more energy because increased speed creates exponential increases in drag.

Just rambling here... really should get some work done...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Times Rss Feed  

of 2