General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-28 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video)

OK, I finally got around to taking some video at the pool.  I really want to work on my swim times this season because i've been hopelessly stuck at a 2:00 per 100M pace for about a year.  I know one problem is I'm not swimming enough, but I'd really like to fix as much as I can in my stroke before I up my volume a lot.

I'd love to get some feedback from the swim experts around here.

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNf5XXhHrAk

One think I noticed watching it is that I appear to cut my stroke short and turn my hands sideways at the bottom of my stroke.  It can be seen most obvious at about 4:20 on the video.

Thanks in advance

**edit

I also threw in some underwater video of me swimming at a 1:45/100M pace which feels better, but I don't have enough endurance to hold that pace very long.

Edited by tuwood 2012-01-28 2:59 PM

2012-01-28 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4016123

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video)

Rotation rotation rotation. You gotta start rotating more!  This is great because it's an easy thing to correct.  Start over exaggerating the rotation.  Right now you are pushing twice the amount of water you need to be pushing through the water.  It is very evident when you watch the video from above the water.  In a perfect world, those elbows should almost point straight at the ceiling.

You are lifting up your head when you breath, sometimes a lot.  Head goes up and hips go down.  Momentary pause, then you have to speed yourself up again after bringing your hips back up.  Breath by rotating your head.  When you look left while standing you don't look up first, right?  Do the same when breathing.  Just rotate the head and breath.  

Kick should be more of a flutter coming from the hips.  Your's is a bit wide.  Keep your core nice and tight and use the glutes to kick.  Your butt should be sore after.

Overall you're doing well, keep up the good work and you'll improve in no-time.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-01-28 3:15 PM
2012-01-28 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
tuwood - 2012-01-28 4:56 PM

I also threw in some underwater video of me swimming at a 1:45/100M pace which feels better, but I don't have enough endurance to hold that pace very long.

I haven't watched the video yet but just wanted to say this is somewhere to start even without changing your stroke.  You *can* swim that fast so do it more often so that you do have the endurance.   

I'm going to get on the trainer but will watch the video after. 

2012-01-28 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tuwood - 2012-01-28 3:56 PM

*edit

Also...remember to breath all the way out and get a good solid breath in every time you breathe.  When you run you don't shorten your breath in and out do you?  Don't do it when swimming.  You'll see how much more "endurance" you have when you breathe deeper.

2012-01-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4016147

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-28 3:17 PM
tuwood - 2012-01-28 3:56 PM

*edit

Also...remember to breath all the way out and get a good solid breath in every time you breathe.  When you run you don't shorten your breath in and out do you?  Don't do it when swimming.  You'll see how much more "endurance" you have when you breathe deeper.

Good point.  There are times where I feel I'm breathing too shallow.  Also thanks for the feedback on the rotation.

2012-01-28 3:30 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
ACtually your rotation isn't bad, but the timing of your "pull" is ruining your forward momentum. I know it sounds backwards...but go to the 3 minute or so mark where the video is shooting up toward the cieling and watch your hands from entry to exit. Your hands should anchor in the water, and as you begin your rotation, the create traction allowing your body to move forward s the opposite arm enters and extends fully.

Just watch each hand as it enters...each hand slips back through the water losing at least 2 feet on every stroke. This has to do with both the timing of when you stroke (pulling too soon) as well as the path the hand takes through the water (watch it scoot sideways without holding onto any water). When you watch that view, most of hte stroke is just slipping by you, with very little firmness in the water. In the meantime, most of your arm is creating drag slowing down your forward momentum.

Swimming is a sport of extension. Focus on holding that extension of the entering arm and waiting (be paitent) until the other arm is ready to enter and the body is ready to rotate to the opposite side with extension of the entering arm. When that is ready to occur, slowly start to "press" water back with the palm and forearm (don't pull). You want to have a sensation of "holding water" with the stroking arm.

Just start by focusing on what the water feels like behnd the stroking arm...right now, it probably feels very slippery...you want it to feel thick.

But otherwise I think your balance is pretty good and you arn't creating a ton of drag with your legs, that's a great accomplishment.

Focus on streamlining the body more inbetween strokes rather than trying to crawl through teh water so quickly...and you will (counterintuitively) get faster.

2012-01-28 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4016168

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

AdventureBear - 2012-01-28 3:30 PM ACtually your rotation isn't bad, but the timing of your "pull" is ruining your forward momentum. I know it sounds backwards...but go to the 3 minute or so mark where the video is shooting up toward the cieling and watch your hands from entry to exit. Your hands should anchor in the water, and as you begin your rotation, the create traction allowing your body to move forward s the opposite arm enters and extends fully. Just watch each hand as it enters...each hand slips back through the water losing at least 2 feet on every stroke. This has to do with both the timing of when you stroke (pulling too soon) as well as the path the hand takes through the water (watch it scoot sideways without holding onto any water). When you watch that view, most of hte stroke is just slipping by you, with very little firmness in the water. In the meantime, most of your arm is creating drag slowing down your forward momentum. Swimming is a sport of extension. Focus on holding that extension of the entering arm and waiting (be paitent) until the other arm is ready to enter and the body is ready to rotate to the opposite side with extension of the entering arm. When that is ready to occur, slowly start to "press" water back with the palm and forearm (don't pull). You want to have a sensation of "holding water" with the stroking arm. Just start by focusing on what the water feels like behnd the stroking arm...right now, it probably feels very slippery...you want it to feel thick. But otherwise I think your balance is pretty good and you arn't creating a ton of drag with your legs, that's a great accomplishment. Focus on streamlining the body more inbetween strokes rather than trying to crawl through teh water so quickly...and you will (counterintuitively) get faster.

Hmm, definitely great feedback.  I'm still trying to picture the timing piece, but I do agree that I always feel like I'm wasting a lot of energy and creating a lot of extra drag with my stroke.  I need to watch some more youtubes of good swimmers.  

2012-01-28 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Coopersburg, PA
I'm not a super smokin swimmer yet, but I've gone from swimming 1:50/100 to 1:25/100. Adventurebear is right. You need to extend more and glide. And you are only getting pull from your hand that is doing the S motion in the water. You need to learn to use your hand and forearm surface to pull you through the water. And don't for get to finish your stroke, glide and then that the next one.
2012-01-28 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4016168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Totally agree with doctor here. There's not a tremendous amount wrong except the timing. Your hand isn't entering the water until your other hand is almost at your hip. I call this focusing on spearing more than stroking (wow that sounds dirty) but it's about introducing more glide to your stroke. You won't have to work nearly as hard, too, it's kinda cool like that. You'll hear this called front quadrant, glide, etc, but do some drills where you don't begin your stroke until your thumbs touch in front of you. It's an exaggeration drill, but it gets the pause in there, which it looks like you need.
2012-01-28 5:21 PM

User image

Carrollton, TX

elbows should be coming up more.  One of the drills from high school was dragging the back of your hand across your ears then putting them in the water.  Your breathing side looks way better than your non where you arm looks like it isn't coming out of the water very much and looks a bit late/out of synch.  This does have to do with rotation, but the key to rotation is you need to keep your body in a straight line so that you don't start the snaking effect that a lot of people have problems with.

hth.

2012-01-28 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Ya, oops, you said experts. I'm no expert. I am a solid MOP guy, who can sprint his way to FOP in a short sprint, so my advice should be framed accordingly. Sorry for piping up, just got excited cuz I thought I could help!

2012-01-28 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4016324

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

fisherman76 - 2012-01-28 5:27 PM Ya, oops, you said experts. I'm no expert. I am a solid MOP guy, who can sprint his way to FOP in a short sprint, so my advice should be framed accordingly. Sorry for piping up, just got excited cuz I thought I could help!

All advice is accepted.  

2012-01-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4016220

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Live2ski - 2012-01-28 4:02 PM I'm not a super smokin swimmer yet, but I've gone from swimming 1:50/100 to 1:25/100. Adventurebear is right. You need to extend more and glide. And you are only getting pull from your hand that is doing the S motion in the water. You need to learn to use your hand and forearm surface to pull you through the water. And don't for get to finish your stroke, glide and then that the next one.

What's funny is I read some swim tutorial about bending my wrist for my catch and I think i've turned it into just using my hand for my catch and almost eliminating the forearm.

So what I'm summarizing from everyone.

1.  Hold the top of my stroke longer. (Should I hold it until my second hand enters the water?)

2. Rotate a little more so my elbows are pointing up higher and don't lift my head out

3. little bit smaller kicks

So, I'm thinking my stroke timing and catch are where the majority of my speed loss/inefficiencies are.

2012-01-28 6:01 PM

User image

To the right of the white line

I had this same problem of not extending and a coach had me drill which corrected it, fast. You might already do it but... on the glide phase hold one hand out in full extension, directly in front of your head (exaggerated movement), while the other does the pull, after the same arm is done with the pull it comes back to touch the other hand holding the glide phase, then the other goes. So basically you have one arm out in front at all times. 

Damnit after typing all that I found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si6VeAfluQ << Catch-up

2012-01-28 6:08 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I agree with the advice on your catch/pull - lots of slippage going on there.  I took a few screenshots.

Here is the start of your catch - not bad, not perfect but ok.

This is just two frames later.  Your elbow is way ahead of your hand and you can see the palm of  your hand almost pointing face down rather than fingers pointing down.  Losing tons of water there!

One last shot from the above water section.  When you take a breath your left arm crosses way across the mid-line.  I saw this several times in the various angles.

Overall there is nothing really bad about your stroke.  If you can get the catch and pull sorted out I think you'll see some great gains.

2012-01-28 6:36 PM

Master

I was in your EXACT shoes about a year ago. Stuck at 2:00 for months, with no huge glaring stroke problems.

Got good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS: Stroke isn't bad at all. Yes there are fixes that could probably yield a few seconds here like the rotation issue and the leg sloppiness, but I seriously doubt you'll be suddenly going 1:40s on the same effort with just form correction.

BAD NEWS: You are at the stage where you defiitely need to swim more, harder. It's a hard transition that I made not too long ago since starting to swim 2.5 yrs ago, and I had the same 'get stuck' at 2:00/100 phase you did.

Your rotation and catch will automatically improve as you improve power - I have seen this for myself firsthand going from 2:00 to 1:40 for T-pace. I seriously doubt you can teach a 1:40 stroke technique to a 2:00max physical ability swimmer - the physical strength and endurance required simply isn't there in that slower swimmer. The stronger you get, the better your form will get for a lot of the stroke.

Yes, you still need technique refinement, so keep watching videos and doing the drills above, but the bulk of your work should now be increasing volume and speed if you want to get down under 2:00. Embrace the pain - it's hard when you're starting out, but necessary. 

In terms of pure technique I think you would benefit from doing no-kick pull sets with a buoy to really isolate and balance the stroke. I suspect you'll be surprised with how challenging they are, and it'll allow you to get the upper body really balanced without a wide kick to stabilize. It'll also help you get the correct rotation going, although I'm pretty sure you'll find that the rotation is a natural outgrowth of the power/endurance building. I seriously doubt you can start 'rotating more' and drop even 1-2sec/100 - the rotation (or lack of) for me is more a sign of your power/endurance than technique especially at 2:00/100 pace. 

2012-01-28 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4016383

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
agarose2000 - 2012-01-28 6:36 PM

I was in your EXACT shoes about a year ago. Stuck at 2:00 for months, with no huge glaring stroke problems.

Got good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS: Stroke isn't bad at all. Yes there are fixes that could probably yield a few seconds here like the rotation issue and the leg sloppiness, but I seriously doubt you'll be suddenly going 1:40s on the same effort with just form correction.

BAD NEWS: You are at the stage where you defiitely need to swim more, harder. It's a hard transition that I made not too long ago since starting to swim 2.5 yrs ago, and I had the same 'get stuck' at 2:00/100 phase you did.

Your rotation and catch will automatically improve as you improve power - I have seen this for myself firsthand going from 2:00 to 1:40 for T-pace. I seriously doubt you can teach a 1:40 stroke technique to a 2:00max physical ability swimmer - the physical strength and endurance required simply isn't there in that slower swimmer. The stronger you get, the better your form will get for a lot of the stroke.

Yes, you still need technique refinement, so keep watching videos and doing the drills above, but the bulk of your work should now be increasing volume and speed if you want to get down under 2:00. Embrace the pain - it's hard when you're starting out, but necessary. 

In terms of pure technique I think you would benefit from doing no-kick pull sets with a buoy to really isolate and balance the stroke. I suspect you'll be surprised with how challenging they are, and it'll allow you to get the upper body really balanced without a wide kick to stabilize. It'll also help you get the correct rotation going, although I'm pretty sure you'll find that the rotation is a natural outgrowth of the power/endurance building. I seriously doubt you can start 'rotating more' and drop even 1-2sec/100 - the rotation (or lack of) for me is more a sign of your power/endurance than technique especially at 2:00/100 pace. 

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with this approach. You can certainly HTFU and increase your endurance and power with the stroke you have, but from my own experience I dropped from a 2:00/100 to a 1:40/100 pace purely on form, and *decreased* my exertion in the process. In a sprint I can do a 1:30/100 but unless it's a short course, its's a useless tool in the belt, as it completely cashes me after about 200m. Could I train that to last longer? Sure. But not a mile or more. A 1:40 pace keeps me well in contention coming out of the water (at least for where I'm racing, and within my AG), and I can do it forever. When i was at 2:00/100, I was working HARD, and I couldn't figure out how anyone could train that away. Now I feel like I work maybe 30% less and go that much faster...I watch the pros on TV same as anyone and their turnover rate is SICK. But so is their marathon leg. And the bike leg. But I'm not a pro, never will be. I swam a 1:35 yesterday and was blown away, still searching for what happened differently...but that's 5 sec per 100, not 20 seconds

Edited by fisherman76 2012-01-28 7:30 PM
2012-01-28 7:45 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Okay, I'm not going to argue with AB here about rotation, but I still think higher elbows trying not to swing the arms would really help.  A little more rotation will also give you a longer reach in the water.

If you pause the video around 3:24 you can see the bending of the body and the lifting of the head I am talking about.  This is what is creating an angled body position where your feet fall slightly.  

Now that I watch the video again, there is a bit of a timing issue, but I think it's because your pull arm is just not getting a hold of that much water.  You sort of lead the pull with your elbow instead of grabbing a column of water with your forearm.  What I mean is that your elbow comes back first, and then your forearm follows.  Does that make sense.  I think agarose touched on that too.  If you pause it at 3:43 when your humerus are perpendicular to your body, you will see how far in front of your elbow your pull hand is.  At the point when your recovery hand is coming up toward your head, this is when you should start your pull and initiate body rotation from the core.  Look up the "catch-up" drill and try swimming with just fists and you'll realize how much you should be using your forearm to pull you through the water.  

Check out the elbows and the long reach and when he initiates the pull HERE.  No I don't think total immersion is the only way to swim, but it's a GREAT place to start.  Don't shoot me.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-01-28 8:08 PM
2012-01-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4016457

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-28 7:45 PM

Okay, I'm not going to argue with AB here about rotation, but I still think higher elbows trying not to swing the arms would really help.  A little more rotation will also give you a longer reach in the water.

If you pause the video around 3:24 you can see the bending of the body and the lifting of the head I am talking about.  This is what is creating an angled body position where your feet fall slightly.  

Now that I watch the video again, there is a bit of a timing issue, but I think it's because your pull arm is just not getting a hold of that much water.  You sort of lead the pull with your elbow instead of grabbing a column of water with your forearm.  What I mean is that your elbow comes back first, and then your forearm follows.  Does that make sense.  I think agarose touched on that too.  If you pause it at 3:43 when your humerus are perpendicular to your body, you will see how far in front of your elbow your pull hand is.  At the point when your recovery hand is coming up toward your head, this is when you should start your pull and initiate body rotation from the core.  Look up the "catch-up" drill and try swimming with just fists and you'll realize how much you should be using your forearm to pull you through the water.  

Check out the elbows and the long reach and when he initiates the pull HERE.  No I don't think total immersion is the only way to swim, but it's a GREAT place to start.  Don't shoot me.

Oh no, not TI swimming...  ;-)

I do think your right on the elbows and rotation.  I could maybe work on my flexibility to get the elbows up more or rotate more, but they're definitely not symmetrical and should be higher.  I'm really going to study up on the entry timing and catch so I'm very grateful for all the tips you guys have given me.

I also think it's a combination of HTFU and technique.  I could certainly swim 2 hours a day 7 days a week and knock some time off my laps without changing my stroke, but I could fix my stroke and do the same and be that much faster.  So I plan to do a combination of both. 

2012-01-28 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I would think a pull bouy and paddles would help sort some of your problems out. You will get a better feel for the water on that catch. Your leading with your elbows and if you do that with some paddles on you will get some immediate feedback.
2012-01-28 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4016526

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

gerald12 - 2012-01-28 9:44 PM I would think a pull bouy and paddles would help sort some of your problems out. You will get a better feel for the water on that catch. Your leading with your elbows and if you do that with some paddles on you will get some immediate feedback.

Although not a bad suggestion, just be careful if you do this.  A beginning swimmer can end up with some seriously sore upper body parts and joints using paddles when they are not used to it.

2012-01-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4016514

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
tuwood - 2012-01-28 7:37 PM

I do think your right on the elbows and rotation.  I could maybe work on my flexibility to get the elbows up more or rotate more, but they're definitely not symmetrical and should be higher.  I'm really going to study up on the entry timing and catch so I'm very grateful for all the tips you guys have given me.

I also think it's a combination of HTFU and technique.  I could certainly swim 2 hours a day 7 days a week and knock some time off my laps without changing my stroke, but I could fix my stroke and do the same and be that much faster.  So I plan to do a combination of both. 

You definately don't need to HTFU. The elements are there. If you try to swim harder at this point, you're going to slip even more water. You won't learn a new pulling motion or a new timing by "working hard".

Finding areas to apply power seems easy, so for many it's the natural next step. But finding the RIGHT place to apply power is not natural, and as you've learned, requires input from outside observers.

Catch up drill is OK...3/4 catchup is better because it allows you to stay on your "edge" rather than getting flat.

The real key part no matter what you do next is learning a "patient" lead arm. Glide more is one way to think of it...but some people think that "glide" is a dirty world. What you really need is to learn when & where to apply traction...waiting longer before you apply traction will give you more hold on the water and let you use more of your whole body together rather than pulling with the arm. Call it a glide, call it front quadrant, call it a patient lead hand, it's all good.

Start with the catch up drill (since that's really easy to visualize), but then quickly bring it back to a 3/4 catch up...or a switch as the TI world calls it. The lead arm waits patiently..doesn't drift downward and then begins it's catch as the opposite arm is ready to entry.

As far as rotation, there's nothing to argue about...that pulling arm is either causing or preventing more or less rotaiton in the rest of the body and right now I wouldn't make much of the current rotation until the patient lead arm is sorted out.

AFter that post a new video, and we can argue about rotation...
2012-01-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4016533

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-28 7:48 PM

gerald12 - 2012-01-28 9:44 PM I would think a pull bouy and paddles would help sort some of your problems out. You will get a better feel for the water on that catch. Your leading with your elbows and if you do that with some paddles on you will get some immediate feedback.

Although not a bad suggestion, just be careful if you do this.  A beginning swimmer can end up with some seriously sore upper body parts and joints using paddles when they are not used to it.

Sure I agree, but it will only take a few lengths to get the idea, otherwise they will slip.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video) Rss Feed