Sunny
Total Time = 41m 37s
Overall Rank = 6/445
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/34
Pre-race routine:

Nothing to see here
Event warmup:

Walked with Gina, it was a bit chilly. Talked for a few minutes to a very enthusiastic guy. He was getting ready for the 1/2 marathon. I did a mile warm up with a couple pickups to race speed. I took the back part of the course just to check it out. I like to be familiar with the last part of the race if possible, in the event I need to make a move so I don't go too Early or late.
Run
  • 41m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I should have placed myself right up front. I started about three or four rows back. This is a mistake I will not make again. At this point I believe I have earned that seeding. The other advantage this will give me is I will be better able to keep track of other competitors and my placement. The start was a bit frantic, I was about 15th down the chute. It narrows and makes a sharp s bend with a little down slope. Once on the main path I started passing people. We then hit the boardwalk with water on both sides and no rails, if you are not careful you'll end up in the water. I was able to pass a couple more people before getting back on the main path. The first hill separates the men from boys as I passed more runners. I skipped the first water station and motored on. at this point I figured I was in 7th or 8th but because I started so far back I never had an accurate count (MISTAKE). I passed two more guys but one of them decided to hang with me and he did for about 2.5 miles. The mile markers seemed a bit close and my new friend confirmed this. I managed to drop him on the last big hill. This is where I started thinking about some water so at the last aid station I grabbed a cup that had about two tablespoons of water. I thought to myself "this sucks a little", then when I raised it to my mouth half of it splashed on my face. That sucked a lot. So now the trail is a mess with people that are also doing the 5K and half marathon. With about 1.5 miles to go and mostly down hill I picked up the pace. with about 3/4 miles left I saw two runners that to me had the look of fellow 10K racers, I made a strong pass hoping the were, also hoping this might get me a top 5 overall. I kept the peddle down the rest of the way and looked back with about 100 yds to go to make sure my position was secure.
What would you do differently?:

This was good experience for me. I will seed myself up front in the future. This will make it much easier to keep track of placing. The hydration was not a real problem being a short race and cool temps. As a note the guy who came in 1st in my age group came in 2nd overall and was 5 minutes faster than me.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoined an it's it ice cream, pumpkin pie, M&Ms, pretzels and some water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All things considered, this was all I was capable of at this time.

Event comments:

Brazen put on a real good event. They did not have an awards ceremony. So I walked up to the awards table picked up my hardware, kinda a letdown doing it that way. A great start for 2012 race season, Thanks for being there and sharing it with me Gina. Your the best and I love you.

Last updated: 2012-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:37 | 06.21 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/34
Overall: 6/445
Performance: Good
avg HR 170 peak HR 181
Course: A mix of paved trail, wood board walk and hard pack dirt/gravel. One loop around the hill with a 1.5 mile out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes