General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-29 3:08 PM

Subject: New triathlete
Hi, my name is Michele. I am 36, married w 2 awesome kids! I am competing in my 1st mini indoor triathalon this coming sunday @ the Ohio State University & I am super excited!! The competition consists of a 10 min swim, 20 min stationary bike ride & 15 min run. The goal is to get as many meters/miles as possible. They will calculate our times to a full tri so we can get an idea of our ability to compete in something bigger! I am pretty healthy to begin with but this training has helped me reach a whole new level of expectations I have for myself! I love it! I am new at the swimming part, but have done a few 5k's & love to bike the Olentangy Trail! I signed up for an adults swim class so I could learn how to be a stronger swimmer & I realize I am a pretty good swimmer I cannot wait to compete in something bigger! My husband has decided that he wants to take on a mini tri as well & we are going to sign up together for another similar event in the fall.....I plan on kicking his butt!!

2012-01-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4017244

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: New triathlete

WELCOME Michele!

This is a great website to find advice, log your workouts, talk training (and more).

I will look for you Sunday at OSU.  There are a few others here doing the race as well.

-You said you have kids.  Bring them.  I take my older daughter.  We use the family pool before the event.

2012-01-29 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have fun!!!  Welcome!
2012-01-30 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to the sport and good luck
2012-01-30 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Ohio

This is the best place for a new triathlete on the net, Michelle, so welcome. Many of us here on the Ohio forum know each other and even do some training together. We run the gambit from occasional poster and racer to hardcore multiple Ironman finisher. This is the place to ask questions and learn. Like Brue said, make sure you use the training logs here on the site. It is always easier to answer your questions about training if we can see what you are doing currently.

Train safe,

-David

2012-01-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4018597

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
dont beat your husband too bad - let him almost win - we have fragile egos and you dont want him crying in the corner all afternoon

2012-01-30 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4018635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

bananatoes - 2012-01-30 12:37 PM dont worry about beating your husband too bad - no need to even let him almost win - we Bananatoes is just projecting his own issues on your husband and letting you know that that he has a fragile ego and you dont want him and he would spend the afternoon crying in the corner if it was his wife who beat him.

There I felt the need to fix a few things (in bold and crossed out) with bananatoes's post. Don't mind him, as David said many of us know each other and occasionally train together and consequently are known to give each other a hard time and/or tease each other, as I just have; I know bananatoes, we sometimes have to share a lane at the local Y. Nothing but love for you banantoes.

So Welcome Michele! Hope you find everything you are looking for here. Good luck this weekend and watch out for the addiction known as triathlon.

Edited by twinklebug 2012-01-30 6:07 PM
2012-01-31 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Welcome! Enjoy your first tri!
2012-01-31 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4022206

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-02 5:44 PM

WOW! You guys are great! I feel like I have new friends I havn't met yet As far as beating my husband goes....it actually inspires him! He has decided that he wants to join my next swim class & we are gonna do the next event (in October) together! We are also signed up for Warrior Dash in June. As far as this weekend goes, he will be my biggest fan...and someone has to keep the kids busy! He is going to swim in the leisure pool with them while I have some awesome fun!!! BTW I am shopping for a nice used street bike...any advice on where I might start my shopping? I've been riding my husbands trail bike for the last 2 years...I'm ready for my own

2012-02-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4026384

Master
Ohio
michele sechriest - 2012-02-02 6:44 PM

WOW! You guys are great! I feel like I have new friends I havn't met yet As far as beating my husband goes....it actually inspires him! He has decided that he wants to join my next swim class & we are gonna do the next event (in October) together! We are also signed up for Warrior Dash in June. As far as this weekend goes, he will be my biggest fan...and someone has to keep the kids busy! He is going to swim in the leisure pool with them while I have some awesome fun!!! BTW I am shopping for a nice used street bike...any advice on where I might start my shopping? I've been riding my husbands trail bike for the last 2 years...I'm ready for my own

How much are you looking to spend? With bikes, you get what you pay for.

Edited by David tri's 2012-02-05 12:39 PM

2012-02-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4026384

Extreme Veteran

I agree with David - you get what you pay for in a bike.  You can ask around and find a good road bike for a reasonable price. 

Oh....I say beat your husband by as much as you can.  Nothing like "chicking" a guy!  Wink

2012-02-05 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4030449

Master
Ohio
amymengel - 2012-02-05 1:53 PM

I agree with David - you get what you pay for in a bike.  You can ask around and find a good road bike for a reasonable price. 

Oh....I say beat your husband by as much as you can.  Nothing like "chicking" a guy!  Wink

Amy knows all about chicking the boys. She does it often enough.

2012-02-05 8:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
2012-02-08 10:28 PM

Regular
Columbus, Ohio
Welcome Michele!

Enjoy BT and good luck this year
2012-02-12 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4030668

Ha, ha! I like that term "chicking"! As far as bike shopping goes...I find it overwhelming & confusing. Hoping to stay under 500$ I have done some online shopping, don't see much in that price range. If you get what you pay for then I want to know what brands to look for. Perhaps a used bike is the way to go? Any thoughts on a store where I might find something in person, then shop online for a used version?

2012-02-13 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4043151

Master
Ohio

You're not going to get much for $500 I'm afraid. If you can add another $200 to $300 to that you could get a pretty good entry level road bike, new and with a warranty. Can you save your pennies for a few months? I tend to try to stear people away from used bikes. You never know how they have been cared for or if they were crashed. Though you might not see any visible damage there could be cracks in the frame that might cause you issues later.

Some of my friends on here have picked up bikes at Wal-mart for less that $200 and raced successfully on them for a year or two, but they usually end up upgrading to something else. This is actually a pretty good option because if you decide not to race after a year you don't have an expensive bike sitting around.

If you end up buying something used you may end up putting $200-$300 into it just to get it rideable, and then you're right back where you started. What are the Local Bike Shops (LBS) in your area?

There is an article here on BT written by ahohl (an Ohio triathlete, BT editor and, full disclosure, my wife) about what you need as a triathlete to get started in biking. If I can find it I'll post a link.

-David

Here it is: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2298

and here's another: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2382

ETA the thread

Edited by David tri's 2012-02-13 9:35 PM
2012-02-14 11:24 AM

Expert
Columbus

Currently on Performance's website the lowest priced racing road bike is 600.

I went with a friend last Spring in store and found a nice bike on sale for 500 for her.

I am with David that used is a hard thing to do.  For me the stopping point is getting the right bike for you more than the chance it has been damaged.

I really endorse getting a CHEAP bike or using a passable bike you already own or can borrow for your first season.

My first tri bike was one I borrowed from my brother in the 80's.  I did 3 tris on it.  I was young and had no money so it was what it was and I had fun.

My second tri bike I bought used I did one tri on it.  It, like my brother's, was a little big.  It was a nicer bike but I got a flat with a couple miles to go.  I was out of shape anyway so I was not in it to win it.

My third Tri bike was a Schwinn Prelude I bought at Target for $178+tx.  I put basket clips on it.  This was my first time being serious at tris after getting back in shape through running.  I finished first in my Age Group in one tri and 2nd overall in the other.  I decided I liked it and I was doing poorly on the bike so...

I bought my current tri bike from performance A 2008 Schwinn Prologue.  Including Taxes, Pedals, better tires, trip computer, and LG Shoes, assemby, one year warranty and maintenance: $1000.

It is NOT the best bike out there but this isn't the one thing I want to use my discretionary funds on.  I figure that this bike is enough to keep me withing range.  Remember the law of diminishing returns.  As you spend more and more money the differences become less and less.

This is your first year.  Use what you have unless it is completely unfit.  If you buy, buy something that is inexpensive that can still serve a purpose later.  -my Prelude still gets plenty of training and transportation use it was well spent money.

2012-02-14 3:10 PM

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)

I bought a basic road bike (20 gears or so) for 200$ five years ago. It had toe cages , no computer , no aero bars. I then bought a 35$ helmet. That was the extent of my first year until I figured out I liked triathlons. Year two I bought cycling shoes and clipless pedals (about 150$). I also added bolt on aero bars (40$). Year 3 I bought a frankenstein tri bike built by a guy in a local triathlon club. It cost me 850$. I was able to transplant my shoes and pedals and helmet (until I broke it this summer with my head in it). Year 3 I also purchased an indoor fluider trainer for 250$. My total spend on bike stuff over five years is about 1600$. I dont plan on purchasing anything else this year save for the occasional tube and I might buy new tires. I have gotten progressively faster just by training more on the same equipment. My suggestion is to contact any local tri/cycling clubs and see if any members have any bikes to loan or sell on the cheap. Some of the crazy people collect bikes like I keep old running shoes.

2012-02-19 11:46 AM

Thanks for all your great advice everyone. I looked at a few used bikes I tracked down on Craigs list...felt like I was riding an old 3 legged horse! I ended up going over to Performance Bike (thx Brue!!) and I fell in love with a Fuji 3.0 road bike! Went home that night to think about what I saw in the store...bought it the next morning! It was on sale for 599$ & I had them put some coaster brakes on it for when I am crusing around with my kids. I also joined the rewards program and signed up for the maintenance package. With my rewards credits I bought myself a new helmet (my old one from Walmart didn't fit well) & some great sports sunglasses (which I have been needing for running for a while anyway). Went on the BEST bike ride this morning...froze my butt off but the adrenaline helped warm me up! Thanks again for all the advice!
2012-02-19 2:29 PM

Master
Ohio
Nice! I'm sure you'll love it and I'm glad you decided to go with a new bike instead of a used bike. Congratulations! Now we just need to see some pictures your new steed!

2012-02-19 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4055417

Expert
Columbus

michele sechriest - 2012-02-19 12:46 PM Thanks for all your great advice everyone. I looked at a few used bikes I tracked down on Craigs list...felt like I was riding an old 3 legged horse! I ended up going over to Performance Bike (thx Brue!!) and I fell in love with a Fuji 3.0 road bike! Went home that night to think about what I saw in the store...bought it the next morning! It was on sale for 599$ & I had them put some coaster brakes on it for when I am crusing around with my kids. I also joined the rewards program and signed up for the maintenance package. With my rewards credits I bought myself a new helmet (my old one from Walmart didn't fit well) & some great sports sunglasses (which I have been needing for running for a while anyway). Went on the BEST bike ride this morning...froze my butt off but the adrenaline helped warm me up! Thanks again for all the advice!

sweet!!!!! and an awesome day for a ride in the middle of "winter"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New triathlete Rss Feed