2012-02-23 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4063064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: Flo Cycling Wheels
Bnclev - 2012-02-23 3:30 PM
Left Brain - 2012-02-23 3:24 PM

rsmoylan - 2012-02-23 2:15 PM Being a business owner, I think they have been brilliant so far.  Think about it.  An unknown product just made them well over $150,000 today.  One day.  They did something right with their marketing.  Following this thread has been entertaining today.  Having just bought the garmin 910xt, I must wait a bit longer before my wife......you guys understand.  

Uh....they had over 2200 sign up for the pre-order....let's say only half of those ordered a wheel....let's say that half only ordered ONE wheel each (that DIDN'T happen).....use $400.00 as an average per wheel. Do the math.....brilliant hardly covers it.  Very impressive.

yeah, the estimate of $150k was way off when you look at it that way.

And i think the smartest thing they did was continually stay in touch with the boards/emails/etc.. They did a phenomenal job at that and built confidence with everyone. Earned a lot more sales that way..even if they do end up running off with our money Cry

good lord.  Brilliant is correct.... Using those assumptions 400 per wheel, 1100 people, and 1.5 wheel each (half set, half single) thats $660,000 !!!!!!!!!  Well done guys!

Edited by pburnett 2012-02-23 4:25 PM

2012-02-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4063350

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
pburnett - 2012-02-23 5:24 PM
Bnclev - 2012-02-23 3:30 PM
Left Brain - 2012-02-23 3:24 PM

rsmoylan - 2012-02-23 2:15 PM Being a business owner, I think they have been brilliant so far.  Think about it.  An unknown product just made them well over $150,000 today.  One day.  They did something right with their marketing.  Following this thread has been entertaining today.  Having just bought the garmin 910xt, I must wait a bit longer before my wife......you guys understand.  

Uh....they had over 2200 sign up for the pre-order....let's say only half of those ordered a wheel....let's say that half only ordered ONE wheel each (that DIDN'T happen).....use $400.00 as an average per wheel. Do the math.....brilliant hardly covers it.  Very impressive.

yeah, the estimate of $150k was way off when you look at it that way.

And i think the smartest thing they did was continually stay in touch with the boards/emails/etc.. They did a phenomenal job at that and built confidence with everyone. Earned a lot more sales that way..even if they do end up running off with our money Cry

good lord.  Brilliant is correct.... Using those assumptions 400 per wheel, 1100 people, and 1.5 wheel each (half set, half single) thats $660,000 !!!!!!!!!  Well done guys!

Yeah I was averaging $300 for 500 wheels (how many wheels they can sell this month)  Way off was right.  Man, that's awesome.  I hope the wheels are safe and legit for people.  

2012-02-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4063284

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Lukasz - 2012-02-23 4:43 PM
tri808 - 2012-02-23 1:31 PM

You can surely get a refund for a product not delivered. You can't get a refund for a product delivered that does not meet your expectations.  Anytime you buy something...there is a chance it might not meet your expectations.  That chance significantly rises when a product you buy does not yet exist.

Actually you can. The guys at FLO have made it very clear that if you are not satisfied with the wheels, you can return them as long as they have not been used. Therefor, it makes pushing that "Confirm order" button a little easier.

With wheels, how do you know you will be satisfied with them unless you ride them?  What if they do not meet real world expectations?  You're stuck with it right?  Real questions, not snarky.  

2012-02-23 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4017709

User image

Well I placed my order for a set of 60/90/disc and then went and picked up my Garmin 910xt that finally arrived. Nothing like buying your Christmas presents 10 months early. 

Edited by Forsey 2012-02-23 5:29 PM
2012-02-23 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
got my order in looking forward
2012-02-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4063381

Veteran
Surrey, BC
rsmoylan - 2012-02-23 2:36 PM

With wheels, how do you know you will be satisfied with them unless you ride them?  What if they do not meet real world expectations?  You're stuck with it right?  Real questions, not snarky.  

But that can be said about all sorts of products.
On a bigger scale, think about this. You buy a new car, sure you get the 30min test drive or whatever, and then you realize that you are really not satisfied with it and then you want to return it b/c it doesn't meet your expectations. These sort of situations are out of your control and that is why you sometimes have to base some of your purchase decisions on tests and reviews.

2012-02-23 6:58 PM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
And just to add to my previous post.
Where would companies such as Hed or Zipp be if everybody had that sort of mindset? And that goes for any company.

Edited by Lukasz 2012-02-23 6:59 PM
2012-02-23 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Holy cow, these guys at Flo are awesome. I just got a call from a number I didn't recognize - turns out it was the Flo brothers calling to let me know that my order (somehow) was the FIRST official order to be processed!!!

I'm one of the clowns that ended up with several tentative charges to my credit card because I was either hitting refresh or backing up and starting over from scratch, but I guess the purchase had already gone through on my initial effort.Embarassed

I am now REALLY looking forward to getting these new wheels (my first ever wheel purchase). I've been following Flo Cycling for just over a year now and am thrilled to be in their initial batch.

I think it's so cool that they gave me a call to let me know, especially considering the crazy day they must have been having. Thanks!!!

Smile

2012-02-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4063523

User image

Lukasz - 2012-02-23 1:23 PM

But that can be said about all sorts of products. On a bigger scale, think about this. You buy a new car, sure you get the 30min test drive or whatever, and then you realize that you are really not satisfied with it and then you want to return it b/c it doesn't meet your expectations. These sort of situations are out of your control and that is why you sometimes have to base some of your purchase decisions on tests and reviews.

Hence why I asked about what testing protocol FLO went through.  AFAIK, FLO got a huge box of wheels, they took pictures of them, posted them on their blog, and decided to open up pre orders 16 days later.

So where are these tests and reviews to base a purchase decision on.  Seems to me that hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people flooded in to buy a product with no such information.

This is specifically why companies release their products to people "in the know" prior to a mass market release.  Cycling teams, known athletes, cycling magazines who review wheels, etc.  They usually have an opinion or recommendation on products before it becomes available to the public.  Sort of like what DC Rainmaker is to the fitness electronic market. 

So again...I hope FLO the best of luck.  I honestly hope they produce quality products...products that I hope to buy once proven.  My skepticism arises because I don't think they have taken the proper steps to delivering a quality product...and I am a bit shocked that so many people have bought in to them (or the hype) with such little information that most companies do before asking money from customers.  The wheels don't even exist, yet they are for sale.  It has not even been a month since FLO unboxed their PROTOTYPE wheels.  It's really...truely...amazing.

2012-02-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4063647

User image

ToeKnail - 2012-02-23 2:59 PM

Holy cow, these guys at Flo are awesome. I just got a call from a number I didn't recognize - turns out it was the Flo brothers calling to let me know that my order (somehow) was the FIRST official order to be processed!!!

Smile

Congrats...even though I am skeptical, I don't doubt that FLO's owners have nothing but the best intentions to deliver quality wheels.  I hope your order is the first of many good ones.

2012-02-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4063659

User image

tri808 - 2012-02-23 7:09 PM

But that can be said about all sorts of products. On a bigger scale, think about this. You buy a new car, sure you get the 30min test drive or whatever, and then you realize that you are really not satisfied with it and then you want to return it b/c it doesn't meet your expectations. These sort of situations are out of your control and that is why you sometimes have to base some of your purchase decisions on tests and reviews.

Hence why I asked about what testing protocol FLO went through.  AFAIK, FLO got a huge box of wheels, they took pictures of them, posted them on their blog, and decided to open up pre orders 16 days later.

So where are these tests and reviews to base a purchase decision on.  Seems to me that hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people flooded in to buy a product with no such information.

This is specifically why companies release their products to people "in the know" prior to a mass market release.  Cycling teams, known athletes, cycling magazines who review wheels, etc.  They usually have an opinion or recommendation on products before it becomes available to the public.  Sort of like what DC Rainmaker is to the fitness electronic market. 

So again...I hope FLO the best of luck.  I honestly hope they produce quality products...products that I hope to buy once proven.  My skepticism arises because I don't think they have taken the proper steps to delivering a quality product...and I am a bit shocked that so many people have bought in to them (or the hype) with such little information that most companies do before asking money from customers.  The wheels don't even exist, yet they are for sale.  It has not even been a month since FLO unboxed their PROTOTYPE wheels.  It's really...truely...amazing.

Here's a review from Tririg.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOsQBrtD80g

Here's another from tri bomb.com

http://www.tri bomb.com/review.php?ID=197

If you go to Flo Cycles website they show some of the testing that took place.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/search/label/FLO%20Wheel%20Development.

I guess time will only tell and people will have to make their own decision on the quality of the product when in hand.

Edited by Forsey 2012-02-23 9:42 PM

2012-02-23 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4063659

User image

Veteran
tri808 - 2012-02-23 8:09 PM

The wheels have existed for a year now. They had to change their carbon factory because of QC issues. The rims, spokes, hubs, etc are the same thing that they've been testing and hammering on for a year now. The carbon fairing is the only thing that has changed as far as I know, and that is the component that is "vastly improved" since the first iteration that some have reviewed and yet still had positive comments about. Pro triathlete Josh Amberger has professed in a video to have been a part of their development process "since last year."

I don't know what else they can do except wait for them to get into the hands of customers and wait for more positive word of mouth. If they couldn't pull off the pre-order, they probably could not have raised the capital to even produce these things en-mass and they never would have come to market. In case you haven't noticed, HED's prices have gone up dramatically this year ($500 more per wheelset) and the last time I checked, ZIPP's haven't gotten any cheaper. It's about time somebody produced a quality wheel without gouging the hell out of it's customers. Think about it for a second, some of these wheels cost more than the rest of the entire bike. For wheels! It's ridiculous.

Edited by Rickz 2012-02-23 10:40 PM
2012-02-23 11:35 PM

User image

Pro

Man, I really like what the FLO guys have done.  I hope it works out for them.  I've got some crazy expensive wheels at my house (Cosmic Carbone SR's, Zipp's, American Classics).....if the FLO's turn out to  be all I expect they may be....I'll sell all I own on ebay and have an entire stable of them.  No matter what you think....this is a very cool story. 

Congats to FLO on a great day for them!

2012-02-24 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
I got a personal call yesterday afternoon and a follow-up email. Very impressed as I know they were swamped. I hope they do well.
2012-02-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4063116

tri808 - 2012-02-23 2:45 PM

Does anyone know what type of testing FLO wheels have gone through?  I really hope that FLO succeeds with quality wheels.  But what really makes me cringe is that they received their production prototypes on January 24th, then on February 9th announced that pre-orders would begin soon.

I'm not really worried about FLO's wheel design...I'm worried about how the design translated to what the manufacturing company (not FLO) actually produced.  FLO has already experienced production flaws with a previous manufacturer...flaws so great that they were visually obvious and likely weren't even field tested.  I'm sure most people agree that it's possible to have manufacturing flaws in a wheel that are not visible.  And if so, is 16 days enough time to test for those flaws?

Zipp came out with their new Firecrest design recently.  I would be curious to know how long, how much, and what type of testing they did upon receiving their prototype models before deciding they were satisfactory to go through with ordering production models.  Something tells me it was a lot longer than 16 days...despite Zipp having nearly 20 years experience in the wheel manufacturing business. 

The Flo guys can clarify if I am incorrect here, but I think all this concern about durability and testing is getting blown out of proportion. These are basically conventional wheels with non structural carbon fiber shape bonded to the rim.  Modern rims and hubs are pretty boring from a standpoint of reliability.  Hub meet spoke, spoke meet rim, have a great life together. Not all wheels are created equal, but when was the last time you heard of a hub or wheel self destructing just by riding?   I would imagine the bonding process of the carbon to the rim uses some serious industrial adhesive that is probably stronger than the carbon itself.  If they were not using a conventional rim, and the entire rim was carbon fiber, I would be on the same page as you.

My big question is will Flo provide part or service? If one component of the wheel goes bad (cracked carbon, broken spokes, hub gets rough, wheel gets jacked out of true), will Flo sell components to us or our LBS or offer a rebuild service?

2012-02-24 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

Yesterday I placed my order as a guest and never got a confirmation since their server went down.  They updated their facebook page and kept all customers in the loop.

I just received my Invoice from Flo.  And it looks like my Order ID is #163. 

They are still working on Shipping Groups so i'm not sure if the Order ID means what place you got your order in.

I am crossing my fingers that I am #163 and i'm in Group #1! Smile

The price and extra warranty (and the fact that they are Canadian!) made the deal even better.

2012-02-24 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4065110

User image

Extreme Veteran
I haven't had time to read through this thread or respond to everyone.  I will in time.  I wanted to provide a general update for everyone.  We are sending out manual order confirmations today.  We have several hundred to send out.  We are hopeful we can finish today but we may run out of coffee.  Please hang tight.  We will get them out as soon as possible.  You will see the following email shortly if you ordered with your order confirmation PDF file.  

Thanks for your patience,

Your Order

When our servers went down yesterday all of our automated responses did as well.  Thankfully, we have didn't lose any of our data and your order is safe.  We are currently sending out manual confirmations to each and every person who ordered.  You have to love technology  Attached is your order confirmation.  Please review the document.  If any of the data needs to be changed, please reply to this email.  If no changes need to be made, please do not respond.  If your state did not get entered that is OK.  You will not need to respond.  Nothing personal, we are simply going through close to 1,000 emails and don't need any extras to slow us down  

Double Charges

During the rush yesterday, many people were forced to refresh their payments screens.  This caused double, triple and sometimes quadruple orders.  We worked around the clock last night refunding every additional charge we found.  If you received more than one charge, you should see the refund in your account as soon as you bank posts it.  This can sometimes take 24-48 hours.  If you have had an additional charge and do not see a credit by tomorrow, please reply to this email and let us know. 

Shipping Groups

Because there were a large number of double orders, we are currently purging all of the false orders.  Yes… we get to do this manually as well  As soon as we have an accurate account of what orders were placed, we will send out the shipping group information.

You can test everything to the nth degree and sometimes, thing still don't go as planned.  You have our word that we will not rest until everything is squared away.

Take care,

2012-02-24 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
*patiently (okay, not so much) waiting for my email to find out what order # I am*
2012-02-24 5:04 PM

Hmmm, I got my confirmation email and my order number #224.   What I don't understand is how my order number correlates into shipping date?  Anyone know?  I realize they said 4-500 a month but if each order can have multiple wheels its impossible to compute.
2012-02-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4063647

Regular
Curious what your order is.  I had assume it starts with #1 but I have not seen anyone post with a number lower than something like 174.  Curious what is the first number.  
2012-02-24 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
That's a good question.  I got my order in minutes after launch right when the site came back up and I haven't received my confirmation email yet.  Here's hoping for a low #!

2012-02-24 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Got my confimation email... and a phone call yesterday.  These guys are great!

Order number still at 279.... I really hope I make the first shipment!
2012-02-25 12:19 AM
in reply to: #4065584

User image

Veteran

bartturner - 2012-02-24 10:37 PM Curious what your order is.  I had assume it starts with #1 but I have not seen anyone post with a number lower than something like 174.  Curious what is the first number.  

I'm order number 129, which is apparently the first officially processed order (after several test orders, if I understood correctly).

2012-02-25 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4065673

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ToeKnail - 2012-02-25 1:19 AM

bartturner - 2012-02-24 10:37 PM Curious what your order is.  I had assume it starts with #1 but I have not seen anyone post with a number lower than something like 174.  Curious what is the first number.  

I'm order number 129, which is apparently the first officially processed order (after several test orders, if I understood correctly).

Sweet.... Maybe I made it into the first shipping group. My order number is 639. If I assume several duplicate orders ahead of me, and that the first group shipping out is closer to 500, then I have a shot....

No confirmation email for me yet, but I'm sure it's been quite a task to sort through all of the multiple orders.
2012-02-25 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4065726

User image

Veteran
Denver

jsnowash - 2012-02-25 4:13 AM
ToeKnail - 2012-02-25 1:19 AM

Sweet.... Maybe I made it into the first shipping group. My order number is 639. If I assume several duplicate orders ahead of me, and that the first group shipping out is closer to 500, then I have a shot....

The 500 you are referring to is the maximum number of individual wheels, not orders. 400-500 individual wheels produced & shipped per month. I noticed quite a few people ordering 3 wheels. I would think if a person is order #329 or under, then they will be in the first group, since it was confirmed last night that order #129 was/is the first offcial order

Edited by Dino019 2012-02-25 12:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo Cycling Wheels Rss Feed  

of 39