General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ragnar Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-30 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: Ragnar Relay

I was asked to join a Ragnar Relay team and I was wondering if anyone here has ever done one before.  More specifically, has anyone done the Madison to Chicago relay?  

I have concerns about the safety, course markings (if any), emergency support, was the race organized and managed well...

If anyone has done the race before, do you have any suggestions to help prepare (what to bring, etc.)?

2012-01-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4018478

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: Ragnar Relay

I started to respond and somehow managed to erase it...  so here is an abridged version...

great event.. I would definitely do it...  i have captained a team for that event the past 3 years...  it used to be called the MC200 - was bought by Ragnar last year...  I've done other ragnar events as well...  i think that it is incredibly well organized given the distance and number of runners...  course is very well marked...  also they are very safety conscience... 

I would be happy to give you more tips and suggestions when I have more time...  feel free to PM me...  or we could even hook up for a run some time (as I'm on the south side of Oak Creek) and we could chat about it...

just let me know...

once again, I highly recommend it..!! 

Edited by bscharff 2012-01-30 11:56 AM
2012-01-30 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

I did the madison to chicago last year as part of an ultra team (only 6 runners).  my view is different from Ben's.  i do think however that logistically this has to be a nightmare of an event to pull off, so i will cut some slack from that end.  most of the segments that i ran were marked pretty well, however there was one section of one of my segments where i did have to stop and actually wait for the next runner to come to compare notes.  little tip, carry the leg map with you for this one, you will refer to it often!

i do not think i would do the ultra division of this again, perhaps the 12 man team but not the ultra.

2012-01-30 12:23 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

I was on a 12 person team for the Madison to Chicago relay in 2011.  AWESOME RACE.  You should definitely do it!

Safety: Most running takes place on trails, bike paths, and sidewalks.  Some running takes place on rural roads with LIGHT traffic.  Some of the overnight running takes you on more mainstreet/downtown/suburban shopping area roads, but these runs are at night with little to no traffic.  I never felt unsafe at any point during the race.  A lot of emphasis is put on reflective gear at night, and they mandate having a headlamp, blinking light, and reflective vest on from 7pm - 6 am (I think those were the time frames).

Course markings: Never got lost or questioned where to go during a run.  You get turn-by-turn run route directions in the race bible, and the courses were well signed.  The DRIVING directions, however, were awful.  Bring a GPS or someone good with maps.  We scrapped their directions about halfway through and drove to the next exchange using our own map.

I can't say enough about how fun this race was for me.  A lot of it is going to be the people you race it with, but the RDs put on a great race.  There were a few misfires (such as no showers at an exchange that was supposed to have them, SUPER long bathroom lines at some high school, etc), but given the scope and number of participants, it was awesome.

Don't plan on showering or getting quality sleep.  Bring plenty of hydration and food for yourself.  BRING BABY WIPES.  I'd bring as many sets of running outfits as you have legs in the race + a set or two of clean clothes.  Most of us in our van only had 2 sets of running clothes (but had 3 legs to run), and after 12 hours smells were emanating from our van that I didn't know could exist.

If you can, RENT two minivans/SUVs or best, passenger vans.  We rented two minivans and fit everything we needed in each.  I can't imagine the horror and disgust the rental company went through when they opened our van though.. poor guys.  Cleanliness is a lost cause during Ragnar, and I would not volunteer your personal vehicle.

Definitely some of the most fun I've had doing a race.  Such a great time.

2012-01-30 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI

one other item to toss in...  given that you live in racine you may be able to do something similar to what we do...   the course goes very close to my house... and is a reasonable distance from both van transition areas - number 18 and 24...  given the time our teams run through that area its worked out perfect for our team where one van can run back to my house, take a quick shower and get a good 2-3 hours of sleep and then catch up with the other van... and vice versa... the shower and a few hours of sleep in an actual bed are a huge help...   

Edited by bscharff 2012-01-30 3:20 PM
2012-01-30 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

I have done the Great River Version. (Winona to the Cities).  Good times.  

I was going to add Deodorant and Lysol to your "help you prepare" list ..... but that has already been covered!  

Edited by badgerintx 2012-01-30 4:21 PM

2012-01-30 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Thanks for all of the replies!!  Lots of great info. 

It sounds like a fun, but tough race.  I'll have to consider how this fits into my triathlon schedule, but I'm definitely going to try and fit it in.  

If you've got any other tips, I'd love to hear them and share them with the others on the team.

2012-02-02 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI

This will be my third year as a member of an ultra team. It is always fun and I believe it to be well organized. Keep your map with you though and study your routes ahead of time especially for the later hours. The teams get pretty spread out and you can run for quite awhile without seeing anyone.

If you can, get leg 36 (8 miler) after the transition at Northwestern. The views of downtown Chicago along the lakefront are awesome! The run back through busy city streets and stopping every block for traffic sucks, but the run along the lakefront makes it worth it.

Have fun with it. BTW - our team is looking for runner 6 if anyone is interested.

2012-02-03 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

I decided not to join the team.  After meeting some of the runners on the team, many of them are quite slow ( 2:40 half marathoners, and 40 minute 5K runners).  I'm surprised they are even attempting this since the Ragnar website clearly states they require 11 minute miles or better.  

In any case, I'm going to do an Olympic distance race mid June as a tune up race before Racine HIM.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ragnar Relay Rss Feed