F^3 Events
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 53s
Overall Rank = 545/811
Age Group = F 0-29
Age Group Rank = 109/163
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start until 10:00am so we lounged around a bit. Ate a banana and a tortilla with peanut butter. We had to pick up the Zipcar further away than usual since our usual one was not available. We had issues starting the car so left a bit later than planned. Meant to also eat at least half a Luna bar but forgot with the craziness of trying to start the car. Parking was a bit crazy, but we got a spot.
Event warmup:

Sat in the car for as long as possible. Shivered a bit before the race started.
Run
  • 2h 15m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

According the results, I managed a negative split.

First half: 1:09:41
Second half: 1:06:11

Splits from my watch. They aren't the most accurate since I was wearing gloves and carrying a handheld water bottle. Didn't always manage to hit the button right at the mile marker.

1: 11:12 (I think I hit the button late, though)
2: 9:09 (Off from hitting button late in mile 1)
3: 10:01
4: 9:51
5: 10:22
6: Missed the mile marker
7: 21:22 (for 6 and 7)
8: 10:38
9: 10:36
10: 10:58
11: 10:29
12: 10:16
13: 11:10
0.1: Not sure, forgot to hit watch

So here we go. This was a Saturday race. Late Tuesday night into Wednesday of that week I was up very ill with a stomach bug. I wasn't sure how this race would go as my body was still a bit off, to say the least. I felt strong enough to give it a shot, but knew I might not PR.

It was sunny, cold and windy. The first mile was crowded and slow. Quite icy in the beginning. I knew there would be numerous icy patches throughout the course. First three miles felt ok and I took Gatorade at the mile 3 hydration stop. I chose to carry a small handheld since I figured I would want more fluid than the 3 hydrations tables would provide.

Mile 4 and 5 were probably not very eventful. I sometimes tried to find a pace I could just stay behind, but often that didn’t work. I passed some people but trying not to jockey around too much for position and waste energy. Coming up to mile 6 I took a gel out and held it in my hand to try to warm it up so it wouldn’t be stuck in the packet. I missed the mile 6 marker and finally decided to take the gel probably around 6.5. At the turnaround there was a small “hill” and it was icy going up and down. While I was going down the hill I heard a crash, which didn’t sound like a runner. Turns out a bike went down. Ouch. I was winded from the hill and trying not to fall on the ice. It would spike my heart rate when I’d slip and catch myself.

There was hydration around 6.5 but I stuck with my own water since I just took a gel. Now we were running right next to the lake. It was pretty windy! I was very familiar with this area but I hadn’t run there in ages (it used to be a route I ran often when I lived in my previous apartment.) So it was sort of nice to be running somewhere different. It felt good to be done with the first half of the race.

I must not have realized the mile 7 marker was for 7 because when I hit 8 I was thinking “whoa this is 8?” I was very happy about that since usually the opposite happened! Tried to settle in against the wind and not waste a ton of energy. Took a cold gel at mile 10 and expended a ton of energy trying to get it out of the packet! I waited til about mile 10 to do the math to see what my finish time might be. I knew I could PR.

Miles 11 and 12 were a bit faster than 10. Hitting mile 11 was sort of amazing, though, because it was then that I had to do the math a few times (I suck at math but this was more due to shock) before I realized that I had a shot at a huge PR. I thought there was a chance I could come in around 2:15 or a bit less. I knew even if I slowed considerably I would still PR. It was pretty much in the bag. Pretty much. I knew I could do 2 miles, but I didn’t want to get too excited and have to walk for half a mile!

Hitting mile 12 was tough as it was right near the finish line, but I had to head back south.

Mile 13 was slow. I donno, I was just getting tired. I did run by the car and Michael saw me and ran out and cheered me on a bit and said he’d meet me at the car (it was smart to rent the car as he was able to stay warm in there after he finished). I tossed him my water bottle and pushed a little harder to the finish.

Crossing the finish I thought maybe I came in just under 2:16. What a great feeling. My previous PR from May 2011 (the last half I did) was 2:20:51. I was hoping to come close to that, but then I got sick earlier in the week and didn’t know what would happen. I really didn’t think I’d PR by just a few seconds under 5 minutes. I was thrilled.
What would you do differently?:

Not much for this race. With the ice, wind, and getting sick earlier in the week I think a 5 minute PR is pretty darn good.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished, was given a sweet medal that doubles as a beer bottle opener and looked around for water or Gatorade. I never found it, which was a drag. I heard they replenished at some point but it wasn't there for me. Got a banana and mini Clif bar and then went to the Muscle Milk tent and got a bottle of that. I looked around quickly for my friend Kim, who was the race director. Never found her, I was cold and wanted to get home so I made the long-ish walk back to Michael and the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Patches of ice on the course, wind, being sick earlier in the week.

Event comments:

Fun race! Three years ago Kim and I decided it would be fun to run a half in January here, rather than travel to a warm place (something we've both done.) So that year we just did a "fun run" with some friends and random people who heard about it. We did have a sweet shirt, though. Last year it was a bit more organized but still not sanctioned by the park district. This year Kim went all out and it was legit - chips, permits and all. There were only a few minor kinks but I would def do this race again if she decides to put it on next year!

I registered early so not only did I get a shirt, but I got a sweet race branded Snuggie too. We've been using it as a blanket!

Last updated: 2012-01-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/163
Overall: 0/811
Performance: Good
Course: On the running path. North a bit and then south til a turnaround at about mile 6.5. North to mile 12 and then south a bit before finishing north again. With a mile to go you could see the finish line. Oooof.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes