in reply to: #4022285

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back
r1237h - 2012-01-31 9:09 PM
powerman - 2012-01-30 6:47 PM
HoganBC - 2012-01-30 7:26 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-01-30 5:09 PM

This story made me sad...he only killed one of the scumbags.

After reading this entire thread and all the boo hoo's about how sad, I finally see came across a post I 100% agree with.  Well done my friend.

So both of you feel the best outcome for this situation would have been 3 full body bags with two 15 yos and a 16 yo?

And if they were 22 and 23, it would be cool?

I think it is pretty universally understood that youth represents promise and opportunity. Picking a arbitrary age is silly. There is a difference between a 15 year old with no real concept of consequences and adult level decision making, one that is still impressionable to do wrong and to do right as well, and that of an adult that has been going down the wrong path for a while and yet chooses to do nothing to change it. An adult criminal that has been given ample opportunity to correct his behavior. Pick what ever age you feel represents that.

The youth that is in the hospital might very well have been impressed enough to turn a different direction in his life.... or he may go back and brag to his friends and seek revenge... don't really know... but we would have a pretty good idea which one if he was mid twenties or 30s just out of prison for the forth time.

2012-01-31 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4021099

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Big Appa - 2012-01-31 11:29 AM
dontracy - 2012-01-31 11:02 AM

Goosedog - I agree with you completely on the role of fathers.  However, I don't think the government can do much to fix the situation.  I certainly think forcing parents to remain married, despite their own wishes, is counterproductive.

Safe guess that I'm in the minority about this.

I put that out there because in my opinion
addressing the structural problems that would lead boys to be prone
to do what they did in Reading is going to require some difficult decisions.

Economics is certainly part of it.

I think though, the real problem is the breakdown of the family.
That's the primary institution where you learn right from wrong.
It's the primary institution where a boy learns to be a man of character
in pursuit of virtue.

In the meantime good people have the right to defend themselves,
even with the use of deadly force,
from the effects of the breakdown of the family.

I don't know if any of you have read the freakonomics correlation between the legalization of abortion and a drop in crime.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

I prefer the correlation between number of pirates and global temperature

2012-01-31 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4020699

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-01 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4022365

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

TSimone - 2012-02-01 12:26 AM

While I respect your opinion I equally disagree with the premise that the 2nd Ammendment's age has any relevance.  Do we revisit the entire Bill of Rights because it's old?  Where does that end?  On age alone should we at some point in the future reconsider Brown v Board of Education, Roe v Wade, or the Sherman Anti Trust Act?

Considerations during The 2nd Ammendment's initial discussion included self defense and there are state constitutions that included similar language.  I understand it's a volatile topic, respect the anti gun position, but again, simply disagree with it.

As for the OP, it is tragic that this occurred.  But I'll support the innocent 65 year old cyclist minding his own business over criminals, regardless of age, especially if the cyclist had no reasonable means to remove himself from harm's way.

And as others have mentioned, I'm glad I don't live in an area where I feel it necessary to carry a gun while I ride.  No matter how justified I think his actions were, that's a burden I simply don't want to carry.  

I think this is going pretty far afield of the original intent of the thread, but I'll play along and point out that Brown v. Board of Ed. was itself a reconsideration of the established doctrine of "separate but equal", which had been established 60 yeas earlier in Plessy v. Ferguson. And there are other things in the original constitution that we have as a society decided are no longer valid, such as the "right" to own slaves, the excluding of women and non-land holding men to vote. We decided at one point that alcohol should not be available and changed the constitution and then changed it back.

The founders intended the constitution to be living document. They knew that the rules under which they were living had been established in a different place and time, and were now unacceptable. It is inconceivable that they would have expected that the rules they set down would be forever valid - you are talking about educated enlightenment era men who believed that mankind's knowledge and understand of things would continue to move forward, and the governance of men should reflect this, as a system of governance by the consent of the governed.

2012-02-01 6:44 AM
in reply to: #4022328

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

uclamatt2007 - 2012-01-31 11:49 PM 

I prefer the correlation between number of pirates and global temperature

This is obviously nonsense, and a complete reversal of the actual cause/effect. An increase in global temperatures is not caused by decrease in number of pirates - the number of pirates goes down when the temperatures go up. Because when it gets too hot, pirating is hard work out there on the high seas, and people want to stay inside with air conditioning. Duh.

Edited by gearboy 2012-02-01 6:46 AM
2012-02-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4019055

Champion
Chicago
To eliminate any arguments about how divorce rates affect the so-called institution of marriage I have a solution -- instead of outlawing divorce, outlaw marriage and recognize domestic partnerships. That is, after all, what a marriage legally is, a financial partnership between two people. Then the kids wouldnt' have attacked the guy and he wouldn't have been forced to shoot them to save his own life.

(What? Hey I had to bring it back to the OP somehow!)

2012-02-01 9:38 AM

It is a tragedy that someone died, but that person could have very easily been the cyclist.

There was a very similar incident in my neighborhood a few years ago, and it isn't one of the poorest areas in the country, but one of the richest. A 57 year old man was walking with his wife at 5 AM Sunday morning, and were attacked. He died, she barely lived. The attack was done by a group of 16-20 year olds, who had been on a robbery spree and picked these two as their last victims. They were caught and sentenced to life. It just sounds very similar to this incident, and I am not happy someone died, but can't help but be glad it wasn't the cyclist whose death we are talking about. Life is fragile, and the cyclist had every reason to fear for his life.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Neighborhood-Shaken-by-Bizarre-Murder-Mystery.html

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Alleged-Gang-Members-Arrested-in-Lansdowne-Murder.html

2012-02-01 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4022309

2012-02-01 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4022365

Elite
Venture Industries,
TSimone - 2012-02-01 12:26 AM
GoFaster - 2012-01-31 12:26 PM
Brock Samson - 2012-01-31 11:20 AM

One thing we do need to do whenever we engage in talks about gun ownership and use is acknowledge that it is not simply a "choice" in the U.S., it is actually a "Right", that's with a capital R.  Important enough to our founding fathers that it be contained in the Bill of Rights.  But it is an important distinction.  Under current and long standing Constitutional interpretation individual citizens have a Constitutional Right to own firearms.  Thus I believe it is not the requirement of the pro-gun side to justify their position, rather I believe it is the requirement of the anti-gun side to justify the curtailment of a Constitutional Right.

I think that's the key problem.  People keep pointing to something written 250 years ago meant to protect against tyranny, and it's used today to advocate the "Right" to pack a submachine gun in your boxers.  If everyone still carried muskets, it likely wouldn't be such an issue.

You say "something written 250 years ago.."  It's not "something", it's not som vague document.  It's the United States Constitution, the document that forms the entire rubric of our government and our nation.  Remember also contained in that "something written 250 years ago" is Freedom of the press, freedom of speech, the right to practice your religion...

Those things aren't "Rights" in quotes, they are RIGHTS!!!  All caps! If you think the right has outlived it's usefulness seek to change the Constitution.

2012-02-01 4:58 PM

2012-02-01 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4023024

Elite
Sharyn5 - 2012-02-01 9:06 AM
powerman - 2012-01-31 11:34 PM

After reading this entire thread and all the boo hoo's about how sad, I finally see came across a post I 100% agree with.  Well done my friend.

So both of you feel the best outcome for this situation would have been 3 full body bags with two 15 yos and a 16 yo?

I think it is pretty universally understood that youth represents promise and opportunity. Picking a arbitrary age is silly. There is a difference between a 15 year old with no real concept of consequences and adult level decision making, one that is still impressionable to do wrong and to do right as well, and that of an adult that has been going down the wrong path for a while and yet chooses to do nothing to change it. An adult criminal that has been given ample opportunity to correct his behavior. Pick what ever age you feel represents that.

The youth that is in the hospital might very well have been impressed enough to turn a different direction in his life.... or he may go back and brag to his friends and seek revenge... don't really know... but we would have a pretty good idea which one if he was mid twenties or 30s just out of prison for the forth time.

I have a 15 yr old daughter, and while she hasn't the breadth of experience an adult has, I would hope she would know that attacking an elderly man, by physically assaulting him is not only wrong, but has consequences. I'd dare say, these kids might have thought of the consequences, they just didn't care. Getting what they wanted at that moment became more important. Not sure which is worse...

I would hope a 15 year old would have some idea of right and wrong... and can't imagine anyone regardless of age or circumstance thinking punching an old man is OK.

But surely you are not going to lecture me on how well a 15 year old comprehends their place in life and what impact the choices they make today are going to effect them 10-20-30 years from now or even next month. Most 15 year olds I know (including when that was me) think they are invincible, that nothing bad wil ever  happen to them, and can't even fathom what being a legal adult and a life behind bars actually means.

Edited by powerman 2012-02-01 5:03 PM

2012-02-01 6:10 PM

Elite

There was an incident here long ago that was very public and drawn out. Big case here. A 19 yo wrestler hot head decided to beat the crap out of an old man over a traffic incident. He was know to be be very volatile. He was from a "good" family and not in trouble with the law, but was known to be very violent.

The old man was also known for his antics. He would drive around carrying and instigating traffic problems. He would write down plates and call in people doing things he didn't like. He was known to be very confrontational in his little traffic vigilante life.

They pulled over. Young guy beat him up in his car. Left, turned around, and came back for more. Shot in the chest with a .44. Ruled self defense once the guy came back a second time. It was such a shame because the old guy was not "innocent". He trolled for trouble and he found it. Even though yes I understood the self defense.

But what  I took away from that is how in the world could anyone beat up a elderly person? I mean how in the world does beating the crap out of a frail defenseless person make you anything? People suck.

2012-02-01 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4024087

2012-02-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4024087

Pro
powerman - 2012-02-01 6:02 PM
Sharyn5 - 2012-02-01 9:06 AM
powerman - 2012-01-31 11:34 PM

I have a 15 yr old daughter, and while she hasn't the breadth of experience an adult has, I would hope she would know that attacking an elderly man, by physically assaulting him is not only wrong, but has consequences. I'd dare say, these kids might have thought of the consequences, they just didn't care. Getting what they wanted at that moment became more important. Not sure which is worse...

I would hope a 15 year old would have some idea of right and wrong... and can't imagine anyone regardless of age or circumstance thinking punching an old man is OK.

But surely you are not going to lecture me on how well a 15 year old comprehends their place in life and what impact the choices they make today are going to effect them 10-20-30 years from now or even next month. Most 15 year olds I know (including when that was me) think they are invincible, that nothing bad wil ever  happen to them, and can't even fathom what being a legal adult and a life behind bars actually means.

I have two sons, 15 and 19. Both are bright, well-behaved, and have never been in trouble. But if I had a dollar for every time their mom and I threw out hands up and said "what are you thinking?" we'd be retired

It's the degree to which kids make poor decisions that is directly related to upbringing. Kids do dumb things, it's part of the growing up. But the checks and balances that come from good moral values are definitely learned from their parents. You can argue that divorce creates the situation but I do not believe that. I believe the parents simply don't care or their value system is equally as corrupt. Yes, these kids are responsible for their actions. But an event like this was years in the making.

2012-02-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4024322

Elite
Sharyn5 - 2012-02-01 6:42 PM

no lecture.

but i will say, that it's hard to determine if these boys thought they were invincible (possible, true)...or they just didn't care. or their parents never taught them boundaries. so...hard to say.

at the end of the day. i WANT TO BELIEVE that the two boys who witnessed their friend getting shot during this fiasco, change their lives for the better. maybe some good can come out of this tragedy. idk.

Agreed Sharyn... does no good for me to speculate the other direction either. We just don't know. People most certainly grow up in different "surrounding" and not everyone has the same boundaries.

I want to believe too... I am already too cynical and jaded in other areas of my life ... I would hope something good can come of this. Does not excuse anything, but I can't help but feel for the Mother that tried to do something that day, but not enough, and now has to be "The Mom" of the kid that beat up an old man and got killed.

2012-02-01 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4024371

Elite
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-02-01 7:10 PM

I have two sons, 15 and 19. Both are bright, well-behaved, and have never been in trouble. But if I had a dollar for every time their mom and I threw out hands up and said "what are you thinking?" we'd be retired

It's the degree to which kids make poor decisions that is directly related to upbringing. Kids do dumb things, it's part of the growing up. But the checks and balances that come from good moral values are definitely learned from their parents. You can argue that divorce creates the situation but I do not believe that. I believe the parents simply don't care or their value system is equally as corrupt. Yes, these kids are responsible for their actions. But an event like this was years in the making.

I can accept that Brian. I was doing things when I was young, but also had a line I would not cross. My parents had some strikes against them that the statistics say I should have grown up in a much worse life than I had. But my parents had this weird moral road block in them too and did much better than was done to them. Sometimes parents do the best they can with what they have. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. Ya, when your PO comes and puts a bracelet on you and you say screw it any way... lot's of things wrong there.

This whole thing is weird for me. My wife has a son that was 12 when we got together. He was off the hook. We had a lot of tools at our disposal. We did everything we could, even putting him in the system... he still did what ever he wanted which led to some very severe consequences.  It was tough. Sometimes you just can't make people act right. Happily he is doing better these days.

2012-02-02 5:09 AM
in reply to: #4024085

Champion
Chicago
Fred D - 2012-02-01 4:58 PM

I honestly don't think those who do not live in the USA truly understand the constitution fully.

I've lived here 12 years and did to really understand it when I lived in canada, despite being a US citizen even then.

The constitution is one of the TRULY great things in this country.

Just my useless opinion.

Agreed. Sad that people will walk all over it and give up their rights in the name of ``security.'' Sorry, that was a bit off topic.
2012-02-02 5:45 AM
in reply to: #4024702

2012-02-02 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4024721

Champion
Chicago
Fred D - 2012-02-02 5:45 AM

mr2tony - 2012-02-02 6:09 AM

Fred D - 2012-02-01 4:58 PM

I honestly don't think those who do not live in the USA truly understand the constitution fully.

I've lived here 12 years and did to really understand it when I lived in canada, despite being a US citizen even then.

The constitution is one of the TRULY great things in this country.

Just my useless opinion.

Agreed. Sad that people will walk all over it and give up their rights in the name of ``security.'' Sorry, that was a bit off topic.

That was more than a bit off topic.

Yep. People pick and choose which rights guaranteed by the Constitution are worthy of following to the letter and which should be allowed to be fiddled with.
2012-02-02 5:55 AM

2012-02-02 9:18 AM

Pro
Interesting editorial in The Reading Eagle in response to the shooting.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back Rss Feed  

of 7