United States
Racers Against Childhood Cancer
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 36s
Overall Rank = 32/578
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, ate, herded the kids into the car and drove to the race site. The roads were slippery so it took longer than I had plannned to get there. Got to site about 45 minutes before race time. Went to the bathroom and put on another shirt under my race top before heading off to the start.
Event warmup:

It was a bout a 1/3 mile hike down the road to the start line so I ran and stretched it out on the way there.
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

We started out and as usual it was pretty crowded. I need to remember to get closer to the front since I always end up weaving through people at the start. We headed down the road and right away I could feel that I did not have my best today. The speed off the start was averaging about 10 seconds per mile slower than usual and felt really hard. I just didn't have that drive or spring to go after it. Despite that, I could see that I was not that far behind the leaders headed onto the bike path.

When the bike path starts, there is a short up hill then a large open field that it crosses. In the field the wind was pretty strong in my face. I kept going but by mile 1 I felt like walking. I didn't walk, but it was really hard to keep pushing.

I gave what I had and just concentrated on tryin to keep in front of people instead of running as fast as I could. I figured my time would not be the best but I could at least keep my placein the standings. As few people passed me in the last mile and a half, but I kept most behind me. I turned it on with about a quarter mile to go and finished strong, but felt the worst I have felt after a race in a very long time.

Footing was not that bad today except at the turnaround spot and about 30 yeards bafore the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know what I could have done different. I know I have not been hitting the workouts all that hard lately, but I just did not have it today.
Post race
Warm down:

Went inside and went to the bathorrm then came back out to watch my wife and kids finish the race. The kids all did great with my 7 year old getting a PR by over 3 minutes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No idea. Maybe the weather, all the layers of clothes I had on, or something else, but this race I also had my worst results of the winter series as well so maybe I just don't like the course.

Last updated: 2012-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:36 | 03.11 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 32/578
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back course along road then onto bike path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?