General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some open water swimming advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-09 9:00 PM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
Subject: Need some open water swimming advice.

I'm a pretty good swimmer.  But I've been in a pool.  So this past weekend I had an open water, salt water swim with lots of people in the water.  I ruined it.  I got swallowed up by people and got hit a few times.  The choppiness of the water messed up my breathing, so I went into oxygen debt early.  Toss in the fact that I'm not used to looking down in the water and seeing nothing but brown.  That spooked me. 

So, how does a person practice open water swimming safely?  What tips can you give me for dealing with a hordes of people at the start?

2006-05-09 9:15 PM
in reply to: #419429

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: RE: Need some open water swimming advice.

I can't believe I beat you all to this!

http://dump.segv.org/movies/swim-training.mpg 

2006-05-09 9:30 PM

See this crazy page. There are a few good advices with some common sense. If your not where a lifegard is at least swim with a group..a Kayakers in with you would be great too.as well a rescue tube .

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/oceanswimming101.html

As far as the hordes of people at the start the surf is in your face also,waves ect . experience in the element is the answer. Really theres no way anyone can get into a swim start situation and not be a bit confused , scared without some experience. Experience of having been there will guide you and you have to swim to get the experience. All that said if a person is at home in surf (surfer/ boogie boarder/ body surfer /surf swimmer)swimming they will do much better in a swim start then a person whoes never been out there
2006-05-09 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Practice! The best way to get better at swimming in open water is to practice in open water. Not all the time but still some of the time. Get comfortable not seeing the bottom. If you can't touch the bottom does it really matter if you can see it?

Enter some open water swimming races to get the feel for mass starts and position yourself according to how you want to swim the race. If you think you are one of the faster people there position yourself in the front if not position yourself further back and always do your best to avoid being in the middle. I always try to start to the outside and run even further to the outside whenever possible.

Good luck. It will get better.

Mike
2006-05-10 7:40 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Every season I have to get reacquainted with OWS, and I always try to do at least a couple of practice swims before a race to remind “my mind” that I’ve done this before, that it is not that bad and that all the scary thoughts I create while swimming are only that: a creation of my imagination! In fact the very 1st OWS I just jump in the water for 5-10 min and float around until I feel calm and then I swim.

For me it is not really that bad dealing with other swimmers or weaves during races, but my @#$% imagination plays tricks on me and I either envision scary movie characters or marine creatures shown at the discovery channel!

2006-05-10 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Dave Scott spoke to our TNT group the night before the swim at St. Anthony's and he had some great words of advice: breathe.

Don't run into the water, walk-in so that you can keep your heart rate down. Don't start hammering away at first, glide so that you can find your pace ... there are not swim lines on the bottom of the pool to gauge your swim speed, so it is easy to push too hard (especially with the race day adrenaline + others swimming next to you). Don't worry about those around you, swim your own race + worry about breathing. 

The pandamonium lasts about 100 yards and then people settle down. So long as you think of it in those terms and you settle into your rythym, you will pass the people who pushed themselves too hard at first. (If you don't then those guys deserve to be up front ... and you might then pass them on the bike or run.)

Took this advice to heart; I seeded myself to the back and to the right of my AG swim start ... and then waited :30 seconds after the last person entered the water just for good measure.  I passed at least half of the folks in the water on my way to crushing my time goal for my first Oly (2:36:54 with a 29:xx swim time) ... all just by relaxing in the water (and frequent sighting).

Dave Scott truly is The Man.

2006-05-10 9:59 AM

Veteran
Anyone have any ideas on how/where to learn to ocean swim in the southern New Jersey area? Scared of waves, but gotta overcome!
2006-05-10 9:59 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I forgot to mention... ALWAYS warm up before the race. IOW jump in the water and swim 5 to 10 min to get comfortable of water temperature, water conditions and most important to loosen up the arms and get your breathing rhythm going.  I can’t believe how many people fail to this and then they waste 5 or more min into the swim race trying to get comfortable.

2006-05-10 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I did an open water swim in a lake that was so murky I could barely see my shoulder. It freaked me out and I barely made the 1/4 mile. Luckily it wasn't any longer. After that I practiced in the pool with my eyes closed, only opening them when I breathed and got close to the wall. If I didn't have to share the lane I would try to swim most of the way with my eyes closed. This worked for me and when I did my HIM in the same lake had no problems.

Ditto on what Dave Scott said, only he said it better.
2006-05-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #419735

User image

Veteran
huengsolo - 2006-05-10 10:53 AM

p>...so it is easy to push too hard (especially with the race day adrenaline + others swimming next to you). Don't worry about those around you, swim your own race + worry about breathing. 

That is exactly right. My plan for my next race is to swim as slowly as I think I can for the first 100 meters and pick it up from there. My last race started with a 250 meter sprint/brawl and I and a bunch of others were finished from that point on.
2006-05-11 5:58 PM

Veteran

Great replies!  Thanks!  And the advice from Dave Scott... I did opposite of everything he said!  :D  Plus I was late getting there, so I transitioned next to a spiky bush, and I didn't warm up!  :\ 

Lessons learned for next time! 

2006-05-11 6:04 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Crash - if you're racing in Northern Pacific waters then i don't think it's a good idea to 'warm up' because that 'warm up' will effectively be a 'cool down'. i've done one half IM at Santa Cruz when the water temp was about 56F. i can't imagine it's warmer than that up at Whidbey Island.

you want to spend as little time as possible in water that cold!
2006-05-17 6:43 PM

Veteran

I did my race down here in San Diego.  Don't remember the water temp, but it wasn't freezing.

I wanted to warm up with a jog, to get my heart rate up.  I saw some folks who brought their stationary trainers with them so they could warm up on the bike.  That seemed like a good idea too. 

2006-05-17 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
UPDATE: My plan outlined above worked. I started to the right of the pack, swam right, all alone at a nice easy pace while the pack fought it out, then rejoined them briefly to go around the first bouy. I never hit any traffic until the turnaround, where I managed to draft off someone for the first time. That was an odd experience, I never saw or touched him but managed to follow the swirl of his kick with my hands. Anyway, I ended up first in the swim in my division and I would guess near the MOP of the wave ahead that started 3 minutes sooner, and I'm not fast.

I'm actually looking forward to my next swim leg.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some open water swimming advice. Rss Feed