General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming challenges....please help. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-31 7:23 PM

Subject: swimming challenges....please help.

So I took private swimming lessons for freestyle  about a month ago.  I am thinking of doing a sprint tri that has a .5 mile swim in April.

So far I can swim one length of the pool (25m), but I rest  for 30 to 1 minute if not more.  Then, I do another length of the pool and rest again.  I rest to catch my breath a lot.   I do this for a total of 12 laps.  How do i get to the point where I can continuosly swim without resting after 1 lap? Also, I find that my legs tire easily, any tips on technique?   Perhaps I am not pacing myself correctly???   

Do you think I can correct my swim by April?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you for reading.  

2012-01-31 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4021906

User image

Subject: RE: swimming challenges....please help.

Get a copy of Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin. It's a fantastic book which will undoubtedly change the way you swim the next time you enter the pool. I bought it 12 years ago and still stand by it today. He probably has a website now as well, but the book helped me cross a few bridges.

Also, be sure not to be shy about using the pool toys (kickboard, pull buoy, paddles and fins). They are indispensable while learning or correcting stroke technique.

Good luck.

MW

2012-01-31 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Keep at it.

Seriously ... that's the answer. Log your workouts and start noticing the small gains. They WILL come. Pay attention to one aspect of your form for each section of the workout ... all the while gaining fitness. 

Then keep at it some more.

And force yourself to limit those breaks. Try for 50 yds on your next workout. Force yourself to turn around and make it 50. Then ... the next workout go for 75. And limit your breaks to 15 seconds. Then 10 seconds.

It'll come. 

2012-01-31 7:53 PM

Palmetto/Parish, FL

I wont give any advice because I just started pool training at the beginning of January.  I will tell you that I too could not swim more the 25 yards with out a breather.  It has been about 4 weeks (swimming 2 times a week) and I did my first 100 last Thursday and my first 200 today.  It's not easy by any means but I sucked it up and busted through the wall.  I have TERRIBLE sinking legs and with the advice of my mentor group I concentrated on finding balance and keeping my head down.  It worked today for sure.

As for being ready by April?  I sure hope so because I just signed up for an olympic as my first tri on April 29th.

PS- My swim back round is lessons 20 years ago around 10 years old and then recreational play in the pool since.  So basically no existent.

2012-01-31 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. I started swimming lessons for the first time in October and couldn't make it more than 25 yds + a 1/2 length before I had to flip onto my back. I was definitely breathing well, but I was just out of steam!

You say that your legs tire...I had the same problem. My teacher said I should slow my kick and that helped immensely. I had been kicking way too hard, tiring my legs and demanding far more oxygen than was necessary. He had me work on keeping my kick smaller, higher, and slower, and that was a big breakthrough. I'm swimming sets of 100, taking 12 breaths, then going on to another 100. Next week I'll be increasing that distance.

Having swim lessons has helped me, obviously because I didn't know how to swim and it was great having someone watch me and correct my form.

I've been using this program: http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.htmland now that I can swim 100 I am on to the 6 weeks to a mile swim program: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Ithink the best thing to do is to have someone watch you to see what changes you can make to be more efficient. Best of luck!

2012-01-31 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Oh - I forgot to mention - my friend has done a few triathlons and his weakness is the swim. He says he doesn't do freestyle the whole time. He freestyles, then switches to breaststroke (when the pack has left him behind, otherwise you may kick your swim neighbour) and then back to freestyle. I suppose it's the swim equivalent to run/walk. He said a lot of people switch to breaststroke or sidestroke or even turn over and kick when they need a break.

2012-02-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4021930

thanks for the advice.  i got the book and the video from the library and it's been working great.  It makes complete sense and my practices in the pool are getting better, grant it slowly, but better.

Thanks again.

2012-02-11 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4021954

thanks for the encourangement.  I've been able to go longer and just go for it.  It's hard but feel darn proud that i can do it.  I am still working at it, but i'm getting there slowly.

thanks again. 

2012-02-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4022044

thanks for the advice.  I am working on my 2 beat kick.  Man it's been hard. but i am slowly getting there.  This is the hardest thing to so far, but i think it will help a lot.  I"ve also incororated the breast stroke during my swim workouts.

thank you.

2012-02-11 1:42 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
If you have been improving with teh TI book & video, then head over to the TI forums and post a note on the main Freestyle thread, just like you posted here...you'll get input from people in the same position you are or were in in the same language that is used in your book...balance, streamline, etc... You'll find it very encouraging (not that BT isn't encouraging), but might as well get encouragement from the guy who wrote the book you are learning from. (totalimmersion.net)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming challenges....please help. Rss Feed