General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike conundrum Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-01 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Bike conundrum

So I have the wonderful opportunity to getting a pretty decent deal on a Trek Bike but am faced with a dilemma on what I actually get.

Let me preface this by stating that my wife and I are both relatively beginner triathletes, first full year was in 2011 and we weren't really bikers before that.  Our plan is to do our first IM in 2013.

Currently my wife has a solid road bike, Madone 4.7 and hasn't shown a big interest on getting a Tri bike.  I thought that her first bike should be a road bike so she gets comfortable on the saddle.

For myself, I've have a basic Schwinn road bike that I've used for the past few years of occasional riding.  I purchased a Cannondale Slice 5 Tri bike (entry model) last year and definitely saw the improvements of going from my aluminum schwinn to the carbon fiber cannondale.  Also last year, I did my first road race which I enjoyed a lot and would like to do more group riding in the future.

So the question is, because I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a bike, what should I get?  

• I can get a higher end Tri bike for my wife in preparation for our IM.  I do think it would be in her best interest to get on a tri bike for IM.
  • I can get myself a solid road bike that will serve me for future group and training rides (but probably won't be used for races)
  • Or I can get myself a higher end Tri bike.  This would leave me with my schwinn and I would probably end up selling my cannondale (I only train on my tri bike currently so that may not matter much)

My gut is telling me to get the Tri bike for myself since I would probably get more out of it than the road bike (not sure how many group rides I'd actually do), plus I'd get some cash back from selling my current bike, but I do like the thought of having a nice road bike.  I notice that on these forums, a lot of people tend to train on their roadies over their tri bikes.  Any big benefit of one or the other assuming that you're mostly training alone or with 2-3 people?

2012-02-01 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4023997

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike conundrum
I say take care of your wife first. Trust me.
2012-02-01 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4024000

User image

briderdt - 2012-02-01 2:19 PM I say take care of your wife first. Trust me.

And then buy yourself the tri bike.  ba BOOM

2012-02-01 5:43 PM

User image

Regular

Have you specifically discussed it with your wife, or are you just assuming she doesn't want a tri bike?  It's possible that she just "isn't showing interest" in it because she doesn't think it's realistic or affordable.

I don't know your situation, so I may be making an assumption to suggest that, but my first advice would be to actually discuss it with her.

If it was in my relationship, I would think that the person that doesn't have a tri bike should be the one to get a new bike.

2012-02-01 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4024134

User image

Extreme Veteran
_Deb_ - 2012-02-01 5:43 PM

Have you specifically discussed it with your wife, or are you just assuming she doesn't want a tri bike?  It's possible that she just "isn't showing interest" in it because she doesn't think it's realistic or affordable.

I don't know your situation, so I may be making an assumption to suggest that, but my first advice would be to actually discuss it with her.

If it was in my relationship, I would think that the person that doesn't have a tri bike should be the one to get a new bike.

This. 

2012-02-01 6:08 PM

Also, I don't think I would consider the Slice 5 a low end tri bike and may never hold you back.  I wouldn't sell it unless there is something wrong with the fit that doesn't work for you.

2012-02-01 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
You can never go wrong taking care of the wife!  Seriously, the Slice is a nice bike and it seems like it is her turn to upgrade.  It is very tough when both of you do tri's because of the money involved.  My wife and I run into this dilema on a daily basis.
2012-02-02 12:16 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

I had the chat with her in passing.  In her eyes she thinks we should just not get any bike but I know it's too good of a chance to pass up.  

I'll keep the thoughts in mind.  I think we all know how this will end up

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike conundrum Rss Feed