Other Resources My Cup of Joe » London's Deadly Roads ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-02 4:34 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: London's Deadly Roads ...
I pretty much refuse to ride my bike on the streets of London after finding out upon moving here 16 months ago that one of my coworkers had been nearly killed on the very roads where I would've ridden and pretty much everybody who rides here has a story about getting hit by a car, truck, motorcycle or pedestrian. It's not safe. Thankfully someone is goiing to attempt to raise awareness.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3306502.ece

Mayor Boris Johnson has tried to get more bike lanes since he's a cyclist but with little success. Anyway, just thought I'd share. It's by far the worst city I've ever ridden in because of not only the speed (the dont have speed patrols here, just cameras with giant signs saying that the cameras are ahead and markers on the ground to show you where not to speed, no joke) but also the motorcycles who zip down the middle and outside of traffic including the bike lane if there is one, legally mind you, and the lack of respect truck and bus drivers have for cyclists.

Anyway, sad stuff about the Times reporter. Hope she pulls through.

2012-02-02 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4024697

User image

Expert
London, UK
Subject: RE: London's Deadly Roads ...

Tony,

I so agree with you about the dangers of cycling in London, although I have been doing it for 19 years now and will, despite a few accidents, continue to do so. The terrible behaviour by motorists I have seen in that time is something I sometimes struggle to come to terms with. How come, as soon as I'm on my bike my life and safety seems to be of less value than when I'm off it? This may sound melodramatic, but trust me it's not. The amount of outright aggressive and dangerous behaviour I'm subjected to every week is staggering and this is merely because I choose to ride a bike. This is just wrong.

To my mind the problem is two fold. Firstly infrastructure for cycling in London and the UK in general obviously needs to be improved. A few painted strips of tarmac does not to my mind make a cycle lane.... despite what an electioneering Boris might tell me. Secondly we need to change the mind set of the motorists and from what I've seen this can only be done by changing the highway code and ENFORCING it. I have seen improvements simply due to the increased volume of cyclists on the road, but until there is a serious clamp down on the type of dangerous driving I see every day, I'm afraid not much will change.

I shall continue this rant later in The Dog and Duck and you'll have wished you never brought it up

2012-02-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4024697

User image

Regular
Essex, England
You are both right. Never done it and probably never will despite working in London for 20 years. I do have to say though that a lot of the anger against cyclists is due to the way many of them ride and everyone else gets tarred with the same brush. Too many jump red lights or ride dangerously such as down the kurbside of lorries and buses. Ride safe Jens
2012-02-02 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4024894

User image

Expert
London, UK

Pashda - 2012-02-02 1:45 PM You are both right. Never done it and probably never will despite working in London for 20 years. I do have to say though that a lot of the anger against cyclists is due to the way many of them ride and everyone else gets tarred with the same brush. Too many jump red lights or ride dangerously such as down the kurbside of lorries and buses. Ride safe Jens

I agree with you about the behaviour of some of my fellow cyclists. Some of the stuff I see them do is beyond stupid and as you say, we all get tarred with that brush. And thanks. I do my best to ride safe, although sometimes it's near impossible. Sigh.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » London's Deadly Roads ... Rss Feed