Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » I have a couple questions about MSC Toronto Island Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-03 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: I have a couple questions about MSC Toronto Island Tri

Could anyone who has done this tri before or is familiar with toronto's ttc answer a couple questions for me.  I'm planning on trying the Toronto Island race, coming from the West:

1)What is parking like downtown around where to get on the ferry?  Is parking at a premium, or is there usually no problem finding a spot.  Approx. $$$  or....Do u know if we can bring bikes on the TTC/Subway?  Would it make sense to park down at Kipling at the west end, and take the subway down? 

2)The MSC site has an agreement with a local hotel.  Dirt cheap rate!  Can u walk from the hotel to the ferry, or what is it's approx. hike, or is it far enough that transit would be smart?

I know they may sound a bit simple, but coming from KW area not totally familiary with the area, and Downtown T.O.  Thanks in advance for any help!

2012-02-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4027127

Veteran
London, Ontario
Subject: RE: I have a couple questions about MSC Toronto Island Tri

Here is is from our perspective. I hope you also get some input from athletes.

1) There is plenty of parking around the Ferry but it can be expensive. The cheapest lot is about a KM away and I believe is $8. We will be posting a parking lot diagram on the website as we get closer to race day. I believe you can bring bikes on the subway and the Kipling parking strategy sounds like a good one.

2) The Harbour Castle is a 5 star hotel. The hotel entrance is about 100m from the Ferry entrance. You cannot get closer. If you do stay there DO NOT park at the hotel. There is Green P parking about 250m away that is much less expensive. The hotel is beautiful. We usually see a number of athletes on the elevator with their bikes.

I hope that helps.

2012-02-03 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, you can bring bikes on the subway no problem.  One problem though is that on Sunday (if you're doing the sprint not the try a tri) that the subway doesn't start until 9am. If you're doing the try a tri - which I believe is on Saturday - you're good for the subway option.

I've done the race twice and if you get there early parking is not an issue at all.  Last year, we got there pretty early and as we were waiting to pay they upped the rate realizing that it would be a busy day - but there was lots there and it wasn't too expensive. 

It's worth it to go early because the ferries will get busy and you want to take the one to Hanlans - it's a long walk from the other places if you have friends/family with you.  On your own you can bike over but it's still further than I realized.

If you can stay at the Westin - you can't get closer and it's really nice!

2012-02-13 3:30 PM

User image

Oakville

If the parking lots in the immediate area are full, there is a multi-deck parking garage at Queens Quay West and Lower Simcoe Road, which is located about 5 minutes west of the ferry dock.

I used to live in the area and have never seen this particular parking garage fill up.

Good luck!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » I have a couple questions about MSC Toronto Island Tri Rss Feed