General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 7s
Overall Rank = 481/507
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 52/53
Swim
  • 14m 30s
  • 400 yards
  • 03m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a little nervous going in. I put myself in the 10:30-11:00 minute group. We started over 40 minutes after the first people hit the water. I had a good swim down the first let and that is where we started bunching to try to go under the ropes. I felt good but couldn't really go anywhere cause you just had to wait at the wall to go under.
What would you do differently?:

Probably start in a faster pace group. I think I could have made the 10:30-11:00 minute slot and cut 4 minutes off my time if I had been in a group that was moving quicker. Also spend more time working on form/technique so I don't use so much energy on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

The transition area was great but it was a pretty good jog from the swim area. Transition on the artificial turf was nice. I prepinned my number on my long sleeve shirt and then wore a short sleve tshirt under it. I put on the shortsleeve and then my helmet and had to take the helmet back off to get my shirt with my number on. Transition time took a little longer than I had anticipated. I wore socks cause I didn't train too often without them. Oh, and I also pinned through the back on one of the saftey pins and tore a hole in my shirt trying to push my head through. DOH!

Go sockless, use a race belt(I have one now), and use a tri top that I can swim in so I don't have as much time redressing.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 9s
  • 14 miles
  • 12.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out and made good time for the first portion of the first lap. I didn't get passed by anyone without a carbon fiber bike until about 1/2 through the first lap. Then it seemed like everyone was going by without much effort. I found a girl on a Roadmaster MTB bike and made it my goal to at least finish the bike before her. The first time up the "Wall" I decided to walk up. It was my plan to not put out too much energy that I would need later. I got to the top with several others to find a guy taking pictures. I did my best to cover my number and hide my face in shame so not to be posterized pushing my bike. I think the second lap I was making better time and decided to not be a complete puss and ride the wall on my second attempt. I did and I made it but was ready to yack once on the top. What do you know the picture guy was gone on lap two. My pace became a crawl for the next little bit and I made it to the end of the ride. Oh, I had also never ridden around people with Aero Wheels. You could always tell when the "Elite" racers were comming around you cause they made this cool whooshing sound like a jet when they went by.

I need to spend much more time on the bike. 20 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym doesn't cut it. I think the bike really hurt my overall time. Also I think aero bars would have really helped cause there were serveral areas that were pretty windy. I might also consider a tripple chainring setup so I don't have to push as hard on long hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I ran down the wrong row of bikes to rack my bike. Luckily they are open at the ends and I was near the end anyway. I got my shoes changed and my helmet swapped for my visor and was on the way pretty quickly. I ate the Hammer Gel that I found in my goodie bag from packet pickup and drank 1/3 bottle of Gatorade. My legs felt really good. I saw my wife and children right out of the transition area and ran over and gave them kisses.

Find a better way to mark my spot so it found more easily. Get speed laces or whatever they are called so I spend less time in transition.
Run
  • 34m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Before I made it off the turf in trasition I had a horrible cramp in my side. I don't know if it was the Hammer Gel, the Gatorade or the onset of dehydration.(I needed to pee so I didn't think it was dehydration.) Once out of sight of the transition area I started a run/walk combo. I did this for a bit until I caught up with another guy doing the same thing. We passed each other probably 4 or 5 times until I finally broke down and just adjusted so we were doing the run and walking together. We talked a bit to help get through and things were going well until we had about 1/2 mile or so to go when I started getting cramps in my legs. The Vastus Medialis (Internus)(I googled the name) in my quads were turning into rocks. I don't know if this is from running this far after the ride. I have never had this muscle get sore before so I will have to research that. Luckily my new best friend was huffing and puffing and was happy to slow down more too. We made the last corner into the home stretch and could hear the announcer and that gave a new hope and burst of energy. The pain tends to go away and I found we were running again. In the last corner into the chute I saw my wife and kids and made my path run by them and gave them high-fives. I got past the finish line and when I stopped my quads were done. They were so tight that I almost couldn't stand up. A friend of mine was working in the finish area and took my chip off my ankle for me and gave me some energy drink and a water.

I definitly need to spend more time running. I need to find a running partner to push me because I know I am capable of better gains. Although I am pretty happy with my time as it is only 4 1/2 minutes slower than my 5K PR and I figured it would take me 45 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of slamming the energy drink and picking up my 3YO and carrying him around for 15 minutes. It didn't take long for my HR to come down and for my quads to loosen up. Went straigt for Pizza, Oranges, Banannas an Sprite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think my performance is right on target with the amount of training I put in before hand. I new the timetable for training between when I decided to jump in and give it a shot was pretty short. Also I hadn't really been on my bike in almost 8 months so that really impacted my overall time. I was also up too late and didn't eat a proper dinner the night before so nutrition could have played a factor in my performance and the cramps I experienced on the run.

Event comments:

The race was awesome if you don't count the 3 day wait for results. I work in computer so I understand sometimes things just don't work so I am not concerned. I hoped to do better statistically but I succeded in both my goals for my first event. Finish. And not be last in my Age Group. I think just putting in more time in training and picking my next event far enough out that I can put in the proper training and my times will improve. If you go out too quickly there won't be any room for improvement, right? I didn't wear a watch for fear of racing against the clock instead of just being there to finish an enjoy the experience. I already have started losing sleep on when and where my next race will be. If I can finish a sprint with a little preperation as I put into this, maybe with proper planning and training schedule I could be good for a HIM next summer. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:30 | 400 yards | 03m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/507
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:09 | 14 miles | 12.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:16 | 03.1 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-10 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon

2006-05-11 9:50 AM
in reply to: #420144

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon
Congrats on the race!  That's cool that you stopped to kiss your family in the transition.  Cute baby pic :-)
2006-05-11 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Nice work Thozf!
I wanted to do this race pretty badly, but my schedule didn't permit it. I think you did great for your first tri.
will you be up in St.louis for any events?

take care,
~B
2006-05-11 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, MO
Thanks for the posts.  I am toying with doing the QuarterMax in June, but I am struggling to get back into the swing of things.  It has been raining for so long now that I am tempted to sell the bike and put the money towards an Ark.  I know the Lake St. Louis Tri is Sold out already, but the Show-Me Games Tri here in Columbia, and the Kirksville Oly Tri later in the Summer too are both looking like good prospects.  I can get the Oly out of the way this year so I can do a HIM next. 
2006-05-12 7:20 AM
in reply to: #421119

User image

St. Louis, MO

YOU DID IT! Way to go triathlete- you are awesome!

Check out the Rec-Plex sprint on June 18th... it's almost an Oly length (short swim due to the pool) but a 21 mile bike and 5 mile run. There's info on it in the MO forum.

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed