General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawk Island Tri June 3 - Who's in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4028319

User image

New user
Birmingham MI
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Tri June 3 - Who's in?

Finally registered.... I thought it would be full by now, as it has been the last 3 years. 

I know this is a topic in another thread, but maybe its not full because it was $70 to register, an addition$6 in active.com fee's, AND if you wanted a shirt, it would be an additional $10 and a higher active.com fee!  YIKES!  <end rant>

2012-06-01 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran

Did a 10 mile bike/2.5 run brick last night and a half mile swim this morning...now its rest time until Sunday. This will be my 2nd tri and my 2nd Hawk Island Tri. Goal last year was just to finish. Goal this year is to beat last year's time of 1:20:34.

Good luck to all!

2012-06-01 1:10 PM

New user

RACING

• BP(MI)
  • TwoHearted
  • TwoHearted's Daughter #1
  • TwoHearted's Daughter #2
  • mzell
  • birdog41
  • birdog41's wife
  • MI Mumps
  • gir1with1nose
  • kathmich
  • gir1with1nose's friend #1
  • gir1with1nose's friend #2
  • gir1with1nose's niece
  • knewbike
  • knewbike's wife
  • ch718
  • ch718's hubby
  • ch718's newbie
  • Detroit Dan
  • jameski20
  • kzoojason76
  • gearhart (1st tri!)
  • Shortyy
  • Shortyy's Dad
  • smoak + 4
  • gdog
  • mzell

Jockstrapping

• craigweaver (Team Motiv8)
  • hamiltks10
2012-06-01 1:13 PM

New user

Sorry, I listed myself twice. 

Is anyone swimming at Hawk Island tonight, the swim course will be set up and ther ewill be lifeguards there. ?  I'm thinking about it but the weather .......

2012-06-01 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
If y'all see me out there, say hi! I am REALLY bad with names.
2012-06-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4239539

User image

We'll be there tonight.

Is anyone doing the clinic tomorrow?

2012-06-03 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
That was fun! Smile
2012-06-03 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Had a great time this morning in my 2nd Hawk Island Tri! Improved on last years time of 1:20:34 and came in at 1:19:03.
2012-06-03 5:43 PM

Regular

Yeah, that was a lot of fun.  It was my first tri ever and what an experience!  The swim was just pure chaos.  I've also never biked with a group of people, nor ran in a race either.  So it was oddly satisfying zipping around with others on bikes.  Then, the run it was just person after person.  I'm always alone running that route and it's just casual.  Nothing like a race.  I wish I had done a 5k or some other type of race to better learn how to pace myself.  I could have given it more than I did. 

Anyways, turned in, what I think is official since it was on the board, a 1:04:41.  I'm really happy with that number!

2012-06-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4242014

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI
kilgoretrout - 2012-06-03 6:43 PM

Yeah, that was a lot of fun.  It was my first tri ever and what an experience!  The swim was just pure chaos.  I've also never biked with a group of people, nor ran in a race either.  So it was oddly satisfying zipping around with others on bikes.  Then, the run it was just person after person.  I'm always alone running that route and it's just casual.  Nothing like a race.  I wish I had done a 5k or some other type of race to better learn how to pace myself.  I could have given it more than I did. 

Anyways, turned in, what I think is official since it was on the board, a 1:04:41.  I'm really happy with that number!

Congrats on finishing your first Tri and great time too!  Hawk Island is a great first Tri and great first race of the season.  Keep at it and your times will only get better.

2012-06-03 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4241938

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI

BP(MI) - 2012-06-03 5:35 PM Had a great time this morning in my 2nd Hawk Island Tri! Improved on last years time of 1:20:34 and came in at 1:19:03.

Nice job on your race today and great to hear you improved your time!!!

2012-06-04 5:59 AM

User image

Chelsea

I did it. I finished my first tri. As usual I forgot to hit my stop watch when I crossed the finish line, so I don't know my exact time, but it was something less than 1:28. 

I did the individual starts so the swim wasn't that crowded. Still a lot of people to swim around but not bad.  For me the biggest problem was the water visability. The hundreds of people that went out ahead of me had churned up so much algea and seaweed that I couldn't only see a couple of inches ahead in the water. This still give me the wiggins. But I did a heads up breast stroke for a few minutes, saw how many people looked like they were really have trouble and figured I was doing fine. So I put my head down and swam. 

2012-06-04 7:33 AM

User image

New user
Birmingham MI

Just putting this out there, and I could care less if I p*ss anybody off... but I saw more BLATANT drafting in the elite wave on the bike then almost any other race I have done... especially by 1 guy for the LTT who drafted me for 2 miles, wheel-to-wheel even after I told him to get out of my draft.  He even followed me as a weaved hoping he would get the point....  His response: "This isnt a USAT race"  Thats BS... all races are non-draft legal unless otherwise specifically stated (UTI style races).  I saw at least 2 other 2 man groups drafting in front me....

Besides that, the swim start was super crowded for me, I killed the bike (25:01), and had a decent run and finished in 55:41.  I enjoyed catching up with the usual crowd after the race. 

Congrats to the first time finishers... welcome to the drug called Triathlon.  It is very addicting.

2012-06-04 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4242630

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI
lilbigjon - 2012-06-04 8:33 AM

Just putting this out there, and I could care less if I p*ss anybody off... but I saw more BLATANT drafting in the elite wave on the bike then almost any other race I have done... especially by 1 guy for the LTT who drafted me for 2 miles, wheel-to-wheel even after I told him to get out of my draft.  He even followed me as a weaved hoping he would get the point....  His response: "This isnt a USAT race"  Thats BS... all races are non-draft legal unless otherwise specifically stated (UTI style races).  I saw at least 2 other 2 man groups drafting in front me....

Besides that, the swim start was super crowded for me, I killed the bike (25:01), and had a decent run and finished in 55:41.  I enjoyed catching up with the usual crowd after the race. 

Congrats to the first time finishers... welcome to the drug called Triathlon.  It is very addicting.

I went off in the elite wave as well and didn't notice any drafting going on with the guys in front of me.  My brother who works for Lansing PD was at the Cavanaugh/Auerilus intersection and he said that there were 13 people in front of me.  I am assuming in looking at your time that you were one of the 13 in front of me.  I would totally agree with you though that unless specified as a draft legal race all triathlons (whether USAT sanctioned or not) drafting is not allowed.  People racing in the elite wave should know this as it gives them a huge advantage.  Nice race by the way!

2012-06-04 8:45 AM

SE MI

If you think the Elite wave was bad you should have been with the AG'ers. One of the issues may have been everyone trying to stay inside the coned lane. It was so tight with so many people that it was almost impossible not to be on someones wheel. I don't remember it being that way a couple years ago when we did this event(the coned lane being so tight). I spent a good portion outside the cones as it was a much safer option for passing. I rode the same pace (30:00 +/-) as a couple other guys near me and we had to make an effort to stay out of each others draft.

All I can say about this years Hawk is the water was cold and the wind blows. Great the sun came out! Always a fun event for the wife and I to start the season and they really do a great job putting it together.

Edited by sccaits5 2012-06-04 9:09 AM
2012-06-04 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
How long does it usually take for the results to get posted on the web? Interested to se what my splits were.

2012-06-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4242848

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI

BP(MI) - 2012-06-04 9:56 AM How long does it usually take for the results to get posted on the web? Interested to se what my splits were.

Go to Gault Race Management and click the results tab on the left....you can find all your splits there.

2012-06-04 9:34 AM

Regular

About drafting, since this was my first race, what are you supposed to do?  As mentioned, the lanes were tight and road conditions were bad in areas.  So passing was tricky, especially if people were side by side taking up the whole lane.  If drafting was illegal, would I have to slow down so as to not be right behind someone?  I feel that if I would have done that, someone else would have leapfrogged me, settled behind them, and forced me to slow down so as to not be drafting. 

It was so crowded and not sure what you are supposed to do?  Give up position to someone passing or just keep at your pace?  I mean, what if it was a non-drafting event, a guy passes me, settles in right in front of me, which makes it look like I'm drafting?  Would I get penalized just because I kept at the same speed and he passed me?  Cause that was what was going on at times in this race.

And what do you do with the guys that can't manage constant speeds, like up hills?  I was keeping at an even pace and a couple guys would pass me, then slow, I would pass, then they would pass me, etc.  It was annoying, (until I drafted them through the wind portion). 

2012-06-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4242958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
kilgoretrout - 2012-06-04 10:34 AM

About drafting, since this was my first race, what are you supposed to do?  As mentioned, the lanes were tight and road conditions were bad in areas.  So passing was tricky, especially if people were side by side taking up the whole lane.  If drafting was illegal, would I have to slow down so as to not be right behind someone?  I feel that if I would have done that, someone else would have leapfrogged me, settled behind them, and forced me to slow down so as to not be drafting. 

It was so crowded and not sure what you are supposed to do?  Give up position to someone passing or just keep at your pace?  I mean, what if it was a non-drafting event, a guy passes me, settles in right in front of me, which makes it look like I'm drafting?  Would I get penalized just because I kept at the same speed and he passed me?  Cause that was what was going on at times in this race.

And what do you do with the guys that can't manage constant speeds, like up hills?  I was keeping at an even pace and a couple guys would pass me, then slow, I would pass, then they would pass me, etc.  It was annoying, (until I drafted them through the wind portion). 

Well, first of all, you're not supposed to ride side by side - that's blocking the riders behind you and can create a safety hazard.  The draft zone is roughly 3 bike lengths (though I've had races where they made it larger).  When passing you're supposed to complete it within 15 seconds.  Once your front wheel goes past the riders front wheel that you're passing, that person is supposed to drop back behind you and then you move over to the right.  That rider isn't supposed to speed up and try to prevent the pass.  If they want to do that, then they need to let you complete the pass and then they can attempt one of their own.

There are times when there are exceptions. For instance when I did the Knoxville Rev3 half we were going straight up a mountain at about 4mph and had roughly 75 of us all in a huge "draft" line.  It was too steep to pass and there were way to many people anyway to even attempt it.  4mph isn't going to get you much of a pull anyway

As for going up hills and not being able to maintain your speed...kinda is what it is. If you pass someone legally and then you hit a hill and slow down, the rider you passed has every right to pass you if they can.  It might be annoying to jockey position like that, but you can't let it get to you.  Just stay out of the draft zone, pass as quickly as you can, don't block people and have a good time.  A lot of it just comes down to common sense and courtesy.  Oh, another thing, if you're coming up fast on someone make sure to yell out "on your left" so that they know you're coming and don't try to jump out and attempt a pass of someone themselves.  And if you're going to do a pass, check your six first. 

2012-06-04 10:09 AM

User image

New user
Birmingham MI
2012-06-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4242819

User image

New user
Birmingham MI
sccaits5 - 2012-06-04 9:45 AM

If you think the Elite wave was bad you should have been with the AG'ers. One of the issues may have been everyone trying to stay inside the coned lane. It was so tight with so many people that it was almost impossible not to be on someones wheel. I don't remember it being that way a couple years ago when we did this event(the coned lane being so tight). I spent a good portion outside the cones as it was a much safer option for passing. I rode the same pace (30:00 +/-) as a couple other guys near me and we had to make an effort to stay out of each others draft.

Yeah, when the lane narrowed to bike lane width, it got really sketchy, especially with a lot of debris in the lane in some points.  To pass, you pretty much had to go outside the cones.  Most of the drafting occurred with the more open roads, that I saw.

sccaits5 - 2012-06-04 9:45 AM

All I can say about this years Hawk is the water was cold and the wind blows. Great the sun came out! Always a fun event for the wife and I to start the season and they really do a great job putting it together.

The water was cold at first, but it warmed up for me.  Glad I didnt wear a wetsuit.  I was surprised by the wind on the backside of the bike course, seemed a lot stiffer then the predicted 10mph forecast.  But yes, the sun was great, and this is always a well ran event, with plenty of volunteers, crowds, etc....

2012-06-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4242630

User image

Lansing

Nice race - your bike was the fastest of the day!

Crazy how fast the race was...I was 4th in the AG last year with a 1:01, 6th this year with a 58!  You and the LTT guys aging up certainly didn't help.

I believe you passed me going up the bridge on Pennsylvania - were you on a Cervelo?  Anyway, I dropped my chain at the top of that bridge (and again on Mt. Hope) so I wasn't able to keep up and see the drafting you're talking about.  If it went down like that, that is totally bush-league.  USAT or not, you don't draft on the bike!

I didn't see any drafting where I was.  I did come up on a guy who was riding on the left.  I called out "on your left" a few times, but he didn't move over.  Eventually I decided to go outside the cones to pass rather than pass on his right.  Not sure if it was the correct call...

2012-06-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4253123

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI
MI_Mumps - 2012-06-09 1:49 PM

Nice race - your bike was the fastest of the day!

Crazy how fast the race was...I was 4th in the AG last year with a 1:01, 6th this year with a 58!  You and the LTT guys aging up certainly didn't help.

I believe you passed me going up the bridge on Pennsylvania - were you on a Cervelo?  Anyway, I dropped my chain at the top of that bridge (and again on Mt. Hope) so I wasn't able to keep up and see the drafting you're talking about.  If it went down like that, that is totally bush-league.  USAT or not, you don't draft on the bike!

I didn't see any drafting where I was.  I did come up on a guy who was riding on the left.  I called out "on your left" a few times, but he didn't move over.  Eventually I decided to go outside the cones to pass rather than pass on his right.  Not sure if it was the correct call...

MI Mumps,

I believe that was me that passed you on the bridge as I was riding a Cervelo right behind someone who dropped their chain there.  Unless someone else had bad luck in the same exact spot but seeing our times it was most likely you.  I myself didn't see any drafting but on Mt. Hope coming up to the Beaumont turn I did see a group of racers tucked together on Beaumont so maybe they were the ones drafting.  

Sorry about your luck dropping your chain twice.  The race was much faster than last year and I am not sure why....my time was 57.25 this year and that time would have taken 3rd place overall last year.  I felt the swim was maybe a little shorter than last year but the bike and run were obviously the same.  Nice race coming in at 58.00 with dropping your chain twice!

Edited by birdog41 2012-06-09 1:04 PM
2012-06-11 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4253130

User image

Lansing

Birdog - that definitely was you on Penn then.  Nice race yourself!  A friend thought that since Grand Rapids was the same weekend last year people had to choose, but this year they could do both.

That chain business was super frustrating, but I got an adjustment afterwards and hopefully won't have to worry about it anymore.  The wildest part is that I don't know that even w/o the problems I could have moved up to 5th in my AG!  So fast...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawk Island Tri June 3 - Who's in? Rss Feed  

of 2