General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "WE are an Ironman"--thoughts about IM relays Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-04 5:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: "WE are an Ironman"--thoughts about IM relays

Just curious if anyone has ever been part of a relay for a full IM and what the experience was like; also whether or not people doing it solo would be upset by relay teams.

A friend and I are toying with the idea of being a two-person team for a regional IM next fall (me for the swim and run, her for the bike). I have a strong swim background, have done hour+ OWS many times, and have always wanted to do an IM swim and this one in particular (have done an Oly there).  I've done lots of marathons, both competitively and "just to finish". It's relatively easy for me to build my normal 2-hour long runs to 3 hours to finish a marathon, but I don't have the biking background or training time for full IM at present and for the forseeable future. Friend is a newbie swimmer and triathlete, decent runner, but not up to the full marathon yet, and biking is her first love. We would be doing this just to finish, individually and as a team, and for the experience of the day; the relay category is open so presumably we wouldn't have a chance against men's teams anyway. Little chance of upstaging the solo women's winner either as they are expecting some top pro athletes; my friend and I are strong (top 10 or so regionally) in our individual events but I don't think even as a relay we'd be up there with the international pros!

1. If you've done this, what are practical things we would need to think about (particularly in the case of one swimmer/runner and one biker)?

2. If you've done an Ironman, would it bother you to have relay people in the same race?  (Assuming we're not going to claim we're Ironmen or women afterwards--the thread title was joking!) Is it clear who's on a relay and who's not? Or is there something morally wrong with it?????

Please no marathon training advice--it's the one area of tri that I understand! Just wanted advice/perspectives from people who have done an IM solo or as a relay.

2012-02-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4029019

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: "WE are an Ironman"--thoughts about IM relays
Hot Runner - 2012-02-04 6:50 AM
2. If you've done an Ironman, would it bother you to have relay people in the same race?  (Assuming we're not going to claim we're Ironmen or women afterwards--the thread title was joking!) Is it clear who's on a relay and who's not? Or is there something morally wrong with it?????

I have never been part of a relay (at any distance), so I can not offer any advice as to how to prepare.

I have done two IM's with my third being later this year, but why would it bother anyone that there are relay people in the same race? There are relay teams in just about every race distance. It is clearly marked on their calf "R" for relay, so you know you are not against them in your AG. Besides, there is no way to tell if they have done the swim/run, swim/bike, bike/run, or if three different people did each leg (unless you are chatting it up during the marathon).

The only thing that I would say is morally wrong with it, is if the individuals of a relay team claimed the title of Ironman (or Ironwoman) afterwards without having completed the entire race themselves (S/B/R) within the time limit. However, if you two or anyone else wants to be part of a relay team to see what it is all about and/or be a part of the IM experence then go for it. Race day is filled with magic, so I totally understand wanting to be part of it.

Just my 2 cents....
2012-02-04 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Sounds like fun! Even if you're friend is a strong biker, you'll have a decent amount of time tor recover from the swim before you run. You might consider incorporating some similar two-a-days in your training: long, hard swim in the morning and race pace longer-ish run later in the day and see how you do on the run. My guess is that you could pretty much train for the run as you would a stand alone marathon, your pace may drop a bit, but I would suspect that you could probably run pretty close to your open marathon pace, especially if you take good advantage of the recover time between the swim and the run - refuel, rehydrate, get off your feet, maybe even take a nap.... Of course you may also want to be able to cheer on your relay partner, so that might not be completely practical. I can't comment on the logistics. I guess the important thing would be to have a general idea of approximately when your biker will be returning so you can be ready for the run when you need to be.

Good luck!
2012-02-04 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I've done a HIM as a relay (I did the run). While it was fun, it sort of drove me crazy. Watching the swim was ok, but then after our biker left it was weird, hanging out with our swimmer. He was done, and I still had to race, but I wasn't sure exactly when. I always get nervous before racing so I'm sure that didn't help! Logistically, just remember to transfer the timing chip, and you will know who else is racing the relay, they are the only ones hanging out in the transition area in biking or running gear, I raced against them. Also, never once thought/called myself an Ironman, only that I did a relay/HM. Have fun!!
2012-02-04 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

Personally I would be annoyed by relay participants in an IM.  Part of the appeal for me is knowing tha everybody else out on the course is suffering through the same exact distance I am.

2012-02-04 5:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4029681

2012-02-04 5:56 PM

2012-02-04 6:45 PM

Expert
Northern CA

I did an IM as a relay. It was a lot of fun!

The main issue we had was meeting up to do the exchange. The swim part was easy. But knowing where our biker was out on the course was really hard. We tried to meet him on the course to cheer him on and missed him by about 30 min. Then based on his time at the only checkpoint out there, we figured he'd be finishing an hour before he did.

The run was a bit better as it was a three loop course so I sat out there until our runner went out on the 3rd loop and then just ran back to the start. She still took longer than I thought to get back but not an hour longer.

If I ever do it again, I think I'd come up with a plan ahead of time to figure out where our teammates were so we'd not spend hours waiting for them to show up at the transition point and worrying about something happening to them when they didn't show up when we expected.

2012-02-04 7:02 PM

Champion
MA

I did a IM relay as biker back in 2008. We had a blast. When they allow relays there are often quite a few. We didn't any issues with those who were doing it solo. They had all the relays racked together so we waited for our swimmer at our bike spot and that is where the runner met the biker as well. It was a first time independent race with about 120 registered with only about 80 racing with maybe 10 of those being relays.

Bike was 4 loop course and one of our relay members rented a house on the bike course so everyone hung out there.

Runner was either 3 or 4 out and backs so we found a place to park and cheered our runner on as well as other athletes.  When our runner passed us on the last out we drove over to the finish and figured where we could see him about 1/2 mile from the finish and make it to the finish.

I'd love to do another IM relay. My husband and I have talked about doing one in the future so I'd swim and bike and he'd run.

Do it!

2012-02-04 9:37 PM

Bronze member
Thanks for posting. I've always thought it sounded fun!

2012-02-04 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4029909

Sensei
Sin City
I don't care at all if people are doing it as part of a relay.  And to be honest, I take a particular satisfaction passing/beating a relay team.
2012-02-04 10:53 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Thanks for all the advice/perspectives. I can totally understand if people get annoyed about relays as they sometimes get me demoralized or confused in Olys. I can't see/think that well when in extreme effort and sometimes I don't realize they're a relay until I see the finish results. I guess it kind of bothers me that while I'm out there doing a marathon, I'd be running alongside others who are, presumably, suffering much, much more than I will. It makes it worse than I'm a fairly good distance runner and normally run through tri fields like a knife through butter anyway (also because my bike really sucks relative to my run) and it's a really unfair advantage to be starting semi-fresh.  It would be neat though to not only get to do the IM swim and run a marathon (I haven't in several years), but also get a first hand look at an Ironman day (I don't have the chance to, otherwise.) This race conflicts with another event, so at this point I'm keeping my options open and seeing what my buddy wants to do.  Also an off chance I might do the HIM there solo instead, or with my buddy as a relay. We'll probably decide by late May.

2012-02-05 11:54 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

It would not bother me in the least bit.  I would love to incorporate a IM relay into my training with my wife.  It would cut down on my training and she could get an IDEA what the race is like. 

2012-02-15 3:31 PM

Veteran
Henderson,NV
The best part for me racing as an individual in a race that allows relays , is i convince myself that the person who just blew by me must be in a relay !!

Just get out there and enjoy the experience
2012-02-17 12:39 PM

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Did the swim and the bike of an IM as part of a relay.  It was a blast but I missed out on the finish line but my knee was not ready to run that far and it was way too cold to walk that.  Only thing that we didn't do a good job on was communicate how long we realistically would take.  I think my runner thought I would be done with the bike sooner (but so did I).  We actually had two relay teams and it was a fun group trip.

2012-02-17 6:05 PM

Expert
Been there, done that and had a blast for the whole weekend.
2012-02-19 4:26 AM

Regular

On the FAQ part of Ironman Wales Registration, the question is asked "Do you allow relay teams." The answer was NO, Ironman wales will not have a relay entry."

This may only be the case for some official IM events. Don't see why though. Are you looking at official IM or just IM distance events?

2012-02-19 5:52 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, the race in question does allow relays. It is not an IM-branded race. It's being put on by a Singapore-based organizer that does many of the races in this region. My friend is training for a century so we thought it might be a good thing for both of us to aim for. Think she will freak when she sees the entry fees, though--she's a novice swimmer and does mostly sprint tris (though she's an accomplished biker) so it's certainly another level for her. Maybe I should offer to pay 2/3??? The conflicting race has been cancelled for this year, so there's a pretty good chance if she doesn't want to do this I might just do the HIM solo--withholding decision for a while.
2012-02-21 7:51 AM

Master
New Jersey
Interesting that people are saying they wouldn't mind the Relay teams in the same race....except for the OP who posed the question.

I'm going to actually admit it bothers me. The reason being that demoralizing factor. Not one likes to get passed late in a race, and it gets especially annoying if you're struggling. At least if you're all struggling together, then you have a kinship and you can cheer on others who are finishing strong. But someone blowing past you who hasn't done the entire race...that feels like cheating.

Having said that though, a relay sounds like fun. I guess as long as teams are clearly identified with a huge "R" or something on their calf. Although when I first started racing, I didn't realize what the R meant on these fresh runners zooming past me.

And yeah, definitely can't claim to be an Ironman.
2012-02-21 1:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Very interesting.  I've never done a half or a full, but I signed up for a relay for a 70.3 this summer.  I figured it was a fun way to see the event and get a feel for if I would want to do it in the future.  I have to say having two teammates has helped me push my training a bit.  I don't want to let them down!  I didn't even think about trying to get out and cheer them on on the course- what a great idea! 

2012-02-22 6:17 PM

Elite
Spokane, WA

Yes, this is interesting. I didn't even realize that WTC IM and 70.3 events don't offer relays. Out of curiosity I checked the one half that I have done, and non-WTC event, and yes they have a relay option.

And to the OP, I have absolutely no problem with relay teams--even at IM distance. It's an entirely different event within the event, so why would anyone care? I say go for it! And yes, I've done an IM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "WE are an Ironman"--thoughts about IM relays Rss Feed