General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone had plantar fasciitis surgery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-04 3:15 PM

User image

Subject: Has anyone had plantar fasciitis surgery?

Hello everyone,

Have you, or someone you know, had PF surgery (Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy)?

This has come as a recommendation from my ART therapist that I've had weekly sessions with since August 2011 for PF in my left foot.  I'm even now researching the pros and cons of it.

Things I've tried:

• Rest
  • Ice
  • Rubber ball with nubs (golf ball size)
  • Almost every stretch and exercise available on the web
  • Inserts (Super Feet, heel cups, heel seats, arch supports)
  • Changing shoes (my right foot, that feels fine, actually prefers Newtons with arch supports)
  • Chiropractic
  • Massage
  • Active Release Technique
  • Night splint
  • Taping and ACE bandage
  • Walking and running barefoot
  • One legged stabilizing drills for each foot and leg
  • Spine exercises

The only thing that I can think of that I have not tried is acupuncture.

Even when I limited my activity for a month (no running and swimming, limited biking), the PF worsened.

I understand there are success and horror stories to this type of procedure.  Thanks for your response.

-Scott

Edited by Recovery 2012-02-04 3:23 PM

2012-02-05 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4029548

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Has anyone had plantar fasciitis surgery?

I haven't had the surgery, but I do feel for you.  I have PF in my left foot and had it in my right foot for about 3 years.  Rest didn't help my situation at all.  I have a friend that had his plantar fascia rupture during a run and he hasn't had any more problems with it.  I know of someone else that had the same thing happen and is having issues with a cyst forming on the top of her foot due to the destabilization that it caused.  Apparently a full rupture is not as desirable as a partial rupture.  I wish you the best.  Maybe someone who has personal experience will chime in.

jami  

2012-02-06 7:56 PM

Scott,

I feel sorry for anyone having PF.  I use to get injections about every 9-12 months (for about 15 years) and that worked to cure the pain.  Then the injections no longer did the trick.  I wore a cast for a couple of months...that was just a temporary relief.  I did not want the surgery due to all the cons with it.  However, I could no longer deal with the pain and finally had the surgery in 2004.  The surgery was a success.  Now, at times I still have a burning sensation and the foot hurts (like the start of PF) and I just cut back on running.  My pace is a lot slower, however I can still run.

Best of luck with healing your PF,

RJ

2012-02-07 2:13 PM

Massachusetts

Scott, first off, I fell for you. I tried alot of different things too when I had it. I found that accupuncture worked the best. I only did one session with my guy. I should have done a few but I was leaving the area and didnt have much time. At least try it then you can say you've tried everything and even then I would get 2nd and 3rd opinions.

What are the guarentees that's the big questiion. I also stopped running for 2 months and just swam and biked. You need to menatally put aside for a while too.

BEST OF LUCK REALLY

midessa7

2012-02-08 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I am exactly where you are.!  Mine started in September and have tried everything you have except for the ART.  The last month I have been in a walking boot - I wore it for 3 weeks took it off and withing a couple of days the pain started coming back. Trying it for the 3 more weeks. Feels best ever right now.

Doc wants to do the surgery, I am not ready.  I am going to try accupuncture if the boot doesn't help. 

I would also like to hear from others who have had the surgery. 

Quick question - why did you quit the swimming - did you notice it causing more pain?

2012-02-08 4:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-10 1:17 AM

Huntington Beach
Sorry to hear that... personally I would look into PRP, prolotherapy or something less invasive first... i know someone who did the surgery and they are ok with it now but the healing process was long and she developed hip and back issues after
2012-02-22 10:54 PM

Elite
Reno

I battled it for years with alot of money on all the normal things.  It was in both feet, but the left the worst.   I had a minimally invasive surgery - they just went in endoscopically and put a nick in the fascia at my heal.   I left with a walking cast, walking with less pain than I walked IN to the hospital.  It was a bloody miracle!   And the pain in my right foot just went away - it must have been scared off.

The doc was a Doctor Stone in the denver area.   I remember his name because I had felt that I had a stone in my shoe until I met him.    do it.

2016-03-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: Recovery

Hi Rec

I would love to hear the rest of your story. Did you have the surgery? How are you now?

I have just been referred to a surgeon and am not sure what to do. PM me if you are happy to share?
2016-04-07 4:45 AM
in reply to: Dragonfly238

Massachusetts
Have you heard of COLD LASER or MICRO CURRENT treatment ? I have had both done on my daughters throwing elbow and she is not in any pain. I'll try to explain micro current by saying it's NOT the TENS procedure. The way it was explained to me was it's a different current and it's supposed to stimulate the nerve, ligaments and tendons and make them fire like they are supposed to and at the same time break down any scar tissue and reduce inflamation and increase healing by 50%. If you can incorporate the cold laser treatment that would be even better.
I brought my daughter in for three treatments and we had great luck, it's 30 minutes long and it costs me $45 for 30 minutes in the northeast.

I know it's a last ditch effort but I would take one more chance before opting for surgery, especially on the bottom of the foot.

I also had PF and it took me six months to get rid of it, acupuncture worked best for me.

!!!!!!!!!! INJURIES SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck
midessa7
2016-04-14 5:28 AM

Camden, NC
Originally posted by Recoverie

Hello everyone,

Have you, or someone you know, had PF surgery (Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy)?

This has come as a recommendation from my ART therapist that I've had weekly sessions with since August 2011 for PF in my left foot.  I'm even now researching the pros and cons of it.

Things I've tried:

• Rest
  • Ice
  • Rubber ball with nubs (golf ball size)
  • Almost every stretch and exercise available on the web
  • Inserts (Super Feet, heel cups, heel seats, arch supports)
  • Changing shoes (my right foot, that feels fine, actually prefers Newtons with arch supports)
  • Chiropractic
  • Massage
  • Active Release Technique
  • Night splint
  • Taping and ACE bandage
  • Walking and running barefoot
  • One legged stabilizing drills for each foot and leg
  • Spine exercises

The only thing that I can think of that I have not tried is acupuncture.

Even when I limited my activity for a month (no running and swimming, limited biking), the PF worsened.

I understand there are success and horror stories to this type of procedure.  Thanks for your response.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I have had PF since December and have tried almost all your list as well and I seem to have gotten a little better, but not completely. Just had steroid injections yesterday in both feet, so I will let you know how things turn out in the next couple of days. That could be one last option to try as well.

-Scott

2016-08-01 2:01 PM

I had this ailment for 2 years, which altered my life significantly. I tried everything but surgery. Then I happened on to a nutritional treatment that actually cured my PF! I'm not taking the time to look it up again, because things could have really changed, but it went something like this: Vitamin D (sunshine, supplements)-goat yogurt (I added berries & some sugar) it has different molecules and amino acids than cow products.- good oils, olive, cod liver, fish, etc. Haven't had issues for years now--even running a dog biz on my feet all day.

Every day dose. Remember supplements are an every day thing. They don't stay in the body like pharmaceuticals :-)

My husband has had great results for other ailments with: 1/4 lemon squeezed water & 1/2 tsp of baking soda. 2-3 times a day. Restores PH to body and reduces inflammations.
2016-08-30 1:05 AM

I never had that surgery. But, I read a blog that describes about this surgery. The main objectives of treatment for plantar fasciitis are to
1. Relieve aggravation and torment in the heel.
2.Permit little tears in the plantar belt tendon to recuperate.
3.Enhance quality and adaptability and correct the foot issues, for example, extreme pronation with the goal that you don't stretch the plantar belt tendon.
2016-09-05 4:40 PM

I cured a serious bout of planters fasciitis years ago with 1. Stretching and 2. Wearing the right sneakers. Asics Gel Kayano...I can't imagine how surgery would help
2016-10-08 11:15 AM
in reply to: #5197752

Have they done an MRI to make sure that's the diagnosis ?
2016-10-08 11:25 AM
in reply to: #5201213

how much rest did you give? And did you rest completely!!! from running and walking and standing ? I would take complete time off running like 6 months minimum and take collagen protein you can try prp injections also focus on your diet eat a really a lot of veggies and good quality meat and fats . Turmeric is a good anti inflammatory stay away from anything that can weaken ur tendons and ligaments especially antibiotics like the flouroquinolones if u have plantar fasciitis I wouldn't recommend the surgery. Have u tried a walking boot or immobilization ? I would think it's ok to remove the walking boot when swimming or biking but to use it when you have to be walking or standing . And see if ur insurance will pay for custom made arch supports instead of the ones you buy over counter . Good luck I'm dealing with it as well as other injuries to my foot

2017-01-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: fnfiacco

Yep, the rest phase has to be complete and lengthy In order for PF to heal. Or heel, if you will. It's a stubborn and demoralizing injury. If you feel an pain at all, all those little micro tears are separating. That is what makes it hurt. And if you go long enough with it, those tears fill up with scar tissue, and your tendinitis becomes tendinosis, a much more permanent condition, A number of years who, I had a stubborn case of PF. Hobbled through it. Until one day my PF ruptured and my wife found me in a fetal position, crying in blowtorch-like pain. That tear effectively released the PF from the heel, and relieved the pressure and pain. Rather than reattach it, the doc cleaned up the tear and let the gap fill up with scar tissue. Soon as the tear healed, I was fine. Even today, with the help of some Hokas, I am running pain free. The release surgery does the same thing, only with anesthesia. Weirdly, now that I am more of a waterman, I wear mostly flip flop type sandals allmost all the time for much of the year, and it is my belief that my feet are stronger and more flexible by not overly suppporting them all the time.
2017-01-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

sorry double post

Edited by Goliad 2017-01-13 5:29 PM
2017-01-24 12:22 PM
in reply to: Goliad

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

You could try an injection which may help.  Also there is shock wave therapy which seems to work well, unfortunately a lot of insurances don't pay for it.  I would try both those options before surgery

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone had plantar fasciitis surgery? Rss Feed