General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Doctor (in Pittsburgh)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-05 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Running Doctor (in Pittsburgh)?

Does anyone know how I should go about finding a a qualified doctor for dealing with shin splints?  I have been dealing with this for over a year and a half now, and it is going to be either get my legs right or have to drop out of everything.  I have gone through months of no running, new shoes (twice), ART, a sports medicine doctor, and a year and a half of ice baths.  I live in Pittsburgh and I need to find someone who understands running.  I do not know if it is my running form or a structural issue.  The last doctor I saw did nothing that I couldn't have read about on the Internet.  I can only run a mile or two without having repercussions later.   I do not know what is causing this anymore.  I think bad shoes and running downhill initially caused it, but there has been nothing to make them go away.  This is driving me crazy so thanks in advance for any help

2012-02-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4030216

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Running Doctor (in Pittsburgh)?
Head over to the "Pittsburgh Triathlon Club" on Facebook, the "Regent Square Running Club" on facebook or the "Steel City Running Club" on facebook and post the same question.

Two Chiro's that do ART are Dr. Brad Kleubber and Dr. Christopher Webb. Good non-surgical sports med physicians include Dr. David Stone at U of Pittsburgh Sports Medicine.

When you say the first physician didn't do anything you couldn't have read about on the internet, its likely he was simply recommending "conservative treatment", which is an option for many injuries, assuming that any structural, biomechanical or training related things contributing to them have also been addressed.

There are a ton of sports med docs in Pittsburgh, so go to a Pittsburgh forum on facebook and you'll have half a dozen reccomendations in 30 seconds. Especially today because even though there is a football game...dem Stillers aren't in it...
2012-02-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4030216

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
mcommend - 2012-02-05 8:28 AM

Does anyone know how I should go about finding a a qualified doctor for dealing with shin splints?  I have been dealing with this for over a year and a half now, and it is going to be either get my legs right or have to drop out of everything.  I have gone through months of no running, new shoes (twice), ART, a sports medicine doctor, and a year and a half of ice baths.  I live in Pittsburgh and I need to find someone who understands running.  I do not know if it is my running form or a structural issue.  The last doctor I saw did nothing that I couldn't have read about on the Internet.  I can only run a mile or two without having repercussions later.   I do not know what is causing this anymore.  I think bad shoes and running downhill initially caused it, but there has been nothing to make them go away.  This is driving me crazy so thanks in advance for any help

Also if you want to meet somewhere I'd be happy to video your running and give some quick suggestions...or post some video to youtube and I"ll take a look at it. I've done a bunch of clinics (both actually run clinics over a the course of a summer as well as sit down classroom type stuff) with Bobby McGee who has got to be one of the smartest running coaches out there.
2012-02-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4030226

User image

Veteran

I sent you a message, but thanks again for this advice.  I am sure I will get some good feedback from the Pittsburgh Tri Club.  I will head onto the other sites next.  Thanks again...

2012-02-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4030293

User image

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi mcommend-

Adventurebear already gave some great suggestions... but I wanted to add another.

Ron D'Angelo at UPMC Sports Performance center is a really good resource. He is a certified trainer and really spends his time identifying the issues and helping you change form or build strength where needed to fix the issue. He sends you on your way with a list of exercises (the tough part is being disciplined enough to do them!) His services are not covered by insurance, but I found it to be worth the money.

http://www.upmc.com/mediarelations/experts/pages/expertspage.aspx?e...

Hope everything works out!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Doctor (in Pittsburgh)? Rss Feed