Pensacola Sports Association
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 13s
Overall Rank = 562/2060
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/96
Pre-race routine:

Up and dressed early enough to eat some yogurt and go through e-cises and some activation drills. Shuttle to start (point-to-point race) left right from the hotel. Very convenient. Stood in line for the porta-johns before seeking out the start line and corrals.
Event warmup:

Very crowded and a little late coming out of porta-john, so only a 5-minute jog. But better than nothing.
Run
  • 1h 20m 13s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite the windy conditions, this is a fun race. I did get a little concerned when the first mile marker came up in 8 minutes, which is fast for me. I backed off a tad, but realized by mile 2 that the marker had to have been off. The wind on the 3-mile bridge took a lot out of me. It seemed endless, but the crowds in Gulf Breeze, which included the 5k runners really helped to pick me back up. Really wanted to walk up the intracoastal bridge, but managed to keep running...very slowly. Then down the other side. Phew.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I think I managed myself in the wind fairly well. Maybe pushed harder up the second bridge.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Waited for my friend Becky to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely the wind. Altho, I think the first woman finisher set a course record.

Event comments:

This is a keeper. Excellent race!

Last updated: 2012-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:20:13 | 9.32 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/96
Overall: 562/2060
Performance: Good
Similar to strategy for running half marathons, split this into 3s: 3 miles, 3 miles, last 3.3. First mile came up in 8:00. Little concerned as this was quite a bit faster than I should be going. Second mile showed 9:30. Okay. First mile marker was probably early. First 3 was in 25:35...right about where I wanted it. Next 3 miles were on the slow side at 26:05. However, this is where we went over the 3-mile bridge and it was windy. Final 3.3 was a bit under 29:00.
Course: Started in downtown Pensacola and wove through some of the old town part before heading across the 3-mile bridge. It's not steep, just long. And wind was around 11 mph (tho, maybe more on the higher parts of the bridge). Then, through Gulf Breeze and up and over the intracoastal bridge (very steep) before heading down to Pensacola Beach and finishing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes