General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing again.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-05 10:06 PM

User image

Subject: Tri-ing again....

Hi! My name is Julie. I live in west TX where my husband is military and I'm a group fitness instructor at a local gym. About a yr ago, after teaching a spin class for 18 mths I decided to get a little authentic and take it to the real roads and found I really enjoyed it! I ran 3 half marathons before that....so figuring out the swim is of course my achilles heel.

I did my only sprint-tri last June - spent half my time swimming on my back, but did manage to pull out first place for my over the hill age division (small tri, too). So now I'm back at it training for an Olympic Tri in Austin over Memorial Day.

My toughest part has been trying to keep on with a normal training plan while also teaching 3 weightlifting classes, 2 core classes and 2 RPM/spin classes....6hrs/week already filled without really touching my training plan. I only run 2x/week and count my spin classes towards cycling workouts....again leaving me with pool time 3x/week in an effort to get strong in the water. The winds out here are brutal and the roads dreadful, so my goal is to get outside on my bike once/week. It would be nice to do more, but it gets to be logistically tricky and then working that around 25mph winds makes it tough.

There are a few others triathletes out in my neck of the woods, but since they don't have to do strength training 3x/wk like I do, I've resigned myself that I just can't have a training partner....which I run alone anyway, so it's probly not a big deal.

I really wish that mentoring program was still open - disappointed they don't do it again until April, but by then I'll be well into my training....seems like there should be a revolving door with mentors constantly coming on board. Oh well....

I'll have to start trolling around to learn more about some of you

Julie

2012-02-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4030963

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Tri-ing again....
Welcome. If you ask, most MG's will let someone in late. My group SWMBKRUN has done that many times.
2012-02-16 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Hi Julie;

Welcome to Bt.

You have the fitness part down! Do you have a local Y or community pool? even twice a week in the pool is helpful.

Good luck in your training.

2012-02-16 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
julieusaf - 2012-02-05 10:06 PM

Hi! My name is Julie. I live in west TX where my husband is military and I'm a group fitness instructor at a local gym. About a yr ago, after teaching a spin class for 18 mths I decided to get a little authentic and take it to the real roads and found I really enjoyed it! I ran 3 half marathons before that....so figuring out the swim is of course my achilles heel.

I did my only sprint-tri last June - spent half my time swimming on my back, but did manage to pull out first place for my over the hill age division (small tri, too). So now I'm back at it training for an Olympic Tri in Austin over Memorial Day.

My toughest part has been trying to keep on with a normal training plan while also teaching 3 weightlifting classes, 2 core classes and 2 RPM/spin classes....6hrs/week already filled without really touching my training plan. I only run 2x/week and count my spin classes towards cycling workouts....again leaving me with pool time 3x/week in an effort to get strong in the water. The winds out here are brutal and the roads dreadful, so my goal is to get outside on my bike once/week. It would be nice to do more, but it gets to be logistically tricky and then working that around 25mph winds makes it tough.

There are a few others triathletes out in my neck of the woods, but since they don't have to do strength training 3x/wk like I do, I've resigned myself that I just can't have a training partner....which I run alone anyway, so it's probly not a big deal.

I really wish that mentoring program was still open - disappointed they don't do it again until April, but by then I'll be well into my training....seems like there should be a revolving door with mentors constantly coming on board. Oh well....

I'll have to start trolling around to learn more about some of you

Julie

Another spin person...    It's a juggling act...hope you can still get out on the roads some...when i do get the chance, thoroughly enjoy it....my schedule is similar to yours, but i add teaching and coaching into it as well.....

Enjoy

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing again.... Rss Feed