General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training to training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-06 1:41 PM

Regular
Canton, MI
Subject: Base training to training program

So up until now I've been base training for the winter to keep my fitness up. I plan on doing a 16-20 week training program so that would put me at mid-late march start for a training program (my half ironman "A" race is on July  15th).

I've been able to fit in around 6-10 hrs of training per week depending on what my week allows (my logs are up to date with the exception of a couple days last week, they'll be added later tonight).

All of the training plans I've seen on this site and elsewhere have me scaling back distance and RPE for the first month or so. Isn't going to impact my fitness somewhat?

2012-02-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4032170

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Base training to training program
So just adjust the volume to match where you will be when you start.
2012-02-06 2:18 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Alternatively, pick up the program with 12 weeks to go.  Many generic 16-20 week programs include a couple training blocks that are geared just to get people ready for the actual specific training needed for the race.  But, you should take a look at any plan and try to decide if it works well enough that way. 

Training 'down' to a plan from a higher base of fitness seems like a waste to me.  Though, perhaps not as unwise as training 'up' to a plan that one does not have the base to begin.  As you are in the former group, either look at altering the plan (in training load and/or duration) or look for another plan more appropriate to your starting point.

2012-02-06 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I was in the same situation last spring. The original HIM plan I was going to use started with distances and times that were shorter than I was doing each week. I looked into the Fitzgerald plans (there are 10 levels for each distance) and found one that started about where I was at and built from there. It worked well for me and I felt like I was continually moving forward. I'm not suggesting the Fitz plans for you, but you get the idea.
2012-02-07 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Singapore

Unless you are facing injury issues, there is no reason to drop your training volume to fit a training plan.  Find a new plan, continue your current training until the volume matches your plan, or start the plan you have at the week that matches your current volume and then modify the end to continue building up to the race.  The more volume you do the better your race will be.  I maintain a base running mileage of 45-50 mpw.  I would never drop this mileage to fit a plan.  Use the plan for reference and then put in your mileage and create your own plan.  If you build 10% a week and use the plan's speed workouts you will do fine.

Good luck!

2012-02-08 12:55 AM

User image

Clemson, SC
Agree with the above posts... Keep your base going until about 3 months out and then start a more race specific build.  My "training plan" for my A-races (a couple of sprints) actually started about 24 weeks out, but the first 14 of those weeks aren't race specific. At this point about 12 weeks out, I could start specific training for anything from a marathon or 5k open water swim to a sprint tri or 5k... It's all good. I'm generally fit and ready to work on the specific race demands in the coming weeks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Base training to training program Rss Feed