Kinane Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 22s
Overall Rank = 1448/14099
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 158/739
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a cousin's house in HB, parked at HOAG Hospital for shuttle. Arrived at start area around 6am. Stayed in the HILTON lobby to keep warm and use the bathroom. Had a PB sandwich while we waited.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup. Kept warm by staying inside the hotel lobby, which was 2 minutes from start line. Jumped into wave 2 about a minute before our wave started. Didn't have to wait around, just made my way into the wave and started running.
Run
  • 1h 48m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a good run, finished pain and injury free for the first time in quite a while. At the last 200 hundred yards I was about to break into a sprint, but immediately felt my calf on the verge of cramping, so I backed it off and just kept my pace throught the finish line. Pretty warm day, especially towards the finish, just wished it could've started earlier to beat the heat, but that's pretty minor.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Although I didn't PR, it was from a lack of traning due to a quad injury ealier in the year, coupled with some pretty bad blisters suffered at the Carlsbad half. I was glad to finish with no quad pain, no GI issues and no blisters.
Post race
Warm down:

Intead of taking the shuttle back to the parking lot, me and 2 of my cousins took a brisk 4 mile walk back to their house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to quad injury earlier in the year.

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite events. The course is scenic and flat, it's always very organized and of course the medals and tech shirts are always the best design. Not to mention it's held a few miles away from my cousin's house, so it's convinient..not a logistic nightmare. Oh yeah, since it's always on Superbowl Sunday, we always have a great "recovery" meal to look forward to!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:22 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 158/739
Overall: 1448/14099
Performance: Good
3 Mi: 24:45 Pace: 8:15 8.2 Mi: 1:07:29 Pace: 8:14
Course: Nice course, relatively flat, with the exception of a few short inclines and a gradual incline around miles 9-10. Majority of the route is very scenic along PCH. This a good course to PR, which I did last year, but unfortunately missed it this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes