US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 51s
Overall Rank = 276/2829
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/165
Pre-race routine:

Sat in my car for a good 25 minutes to avoid getting cold. I had on a t-shirt, long-sleeve tech shirt, and an old sweatshirt, but nothing but shorts on my legs. I was fine for the short while I was outside, but any longer might have hurt!
Event warmup:

Stretching, one GU, one final bathroom stop.
Run
  • 1h 40m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to test my marathon goal pace at the 13.1 distance. I exceeded this by a few minutes. It was VERY difficult, though. I felt like I had put it all out there. I'm guessing, however, that there is more to give.

Also, I have another 2.5 months of training left before my goal marathon on Apr 1. Hopefully that additional training will set me up to sustain this pace for a full 26.2. Better yet, can I manage to shave 12 seconds per mile off goal pace and join the earlier group of Boston registrants?

There was no need for a potty stop during the 1:40 run.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I can think of improving was my start position. By the time I'd hit the porta-potties, the corrals had filled. I worked my way into the second corral (2:00 goal time) but did not push my way up to the 1:45 group. I don't think it would have mattered much -- it wasn't difficult to work up the side of the crowd at the start.
Post race
Warm down:

Just a lot of walking around and eating orange slices. I got cold pretty quickly, even with the dry hoodie I had in my post-race bag.

Event comments:

I think the organizers did a great job with this race. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Last updated: 2012-01-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:51 | 13.1 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/165
Overall: 276/2829
Performance:
Course: This was a great course, right up the bikepath along the beach. If the weather had cooperated, it would have been a gorgeous run. As it was we had cloudy skies and even a bit of precipitation near the turn-around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes