General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay pedals, love them or hate them? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-11 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4041609

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Subject: RE: Speedplay pedals, love them or hate them?
I am one who gets hot spots with them over long distances. Tried different shoes with stiff carbon soles and still get them. I do love them for ease of entry and exit. They are awesome for that. I use them still on my road bike but have Ultegras on my Tri bike, which works better for me over the long haul.

Words of small caution. They are a bit tricky to get setup correctly, but follow directions and it's not that hard. All else fails, have the shop set them up. They do require maintenance (pedals and cleats) and don't deal with dirt at well as other styles. Again, nothing big but just thought you should know.

One last thing. Too much float can cause problems if you have a poor pedal stroke. People love Speedplays because of the expanded and sometimes unlimited float, but I've known people to hurt their knees worse by not restricting their float. I like the zeros the best because you can really dial them in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay pedals, love them or hate them? Rss Feed  

of 2